Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 10, 2018, 06:10 AM
founder of the SSP
My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. Rest in peace sir.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2018, 07:12 AM
InJamNoOneCanHearYouScrea m
2018 Nats: For the Love of Soaring (6 min 34 sec)

Always the eloquent spokesman...I will miss him for sure.
Wally
Aug 10, 2018, 07:22 AM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Gordy Stahl.... that kind of guy.

Anyone who has been a part of the Soaring community for a period of time certainly knows Gordy. From his writing contributions it was easy to see that this man truly loved Soaring. It was a man in a class of his own. He was a good hearted man. Those who knew him knew he would speak (or write) often times pushing the envelope of contraversity.

I had the opportunity to meet Gordy when he traveled to the North Jersey Soaring Society in Boonton, NJ. When I got to the field Gordy was doing what he did best, flying along with carrying on a conversation at the same time. I came up to him, introduced myself to him and without skipping a beat asked me if I wanted some stick time, which I said “sure”. Between the two of us we got his plane over 2200 feet, the limit of my eye sight. I handed he back the transmitter and he proceeded to add another 200 feet to the altitude.

After he landed we shared in some small talk, some banter enjoying the moment. His last parting comments to me was “great set of thumbs you got there” to which I replied “Thank you for a great afternoon “.

From all the posts, emails, threads, and columns Gordy contributed to, you knew he was that kind of guy. There were guys in the Soaring community who hated him and others who adored him.

Gordy will be missed. Green air my friend and God Bless.
Kurt
Aug 10, 2018, 07:40 AM
Same experience with Gordy. His goal with his posts was to get people talking. His theory was if people are talking about anything soaring, it was a good thing.

I will miss him, didn't always agree with him, but had fun debating and talking about the hobby we love.

Rest in Peace my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzimmerm
Gordy Stahl.... that kind of guy.

Anyone who has been a part of the Soaring community for a period of time certainly knows Gordy. From his writing contributions it was easy to see that this man truly loved Soaring. It was a man in a class of his own. He was a good hearted man. Those who knew him knew he would speak (or write) often times pushing the envelope of contraversity.

I had the opportunity to meet Gordy when he traveled to the North Jersey Soaring Society in Boonton, NJ. When I got to the field Gordy was doing what he did best, flying along with carrying on a conversation at the same time. I came up to him, introduced myself to him and without skipping a beat asked me if I wanted some stick time, which I said “sure”. Between the two of us we got his plane over 2200 feet, the limit of my eye sight. I handed he back the transmitter and he proceeded to add another 200 feet to the altitude.

After he landed we shared in some small talk, some banter enjoying the moment. His last parting comments to me was “great set of thumbs you got there” to which I replied “Thank you for a great afternoon “.

From all the posts, emails, threads, and columns Gordy contributed to, you knew he was that kind of guy. There were guys in the Soaring community who hated him and others who adored him.

Gordy will be missed. Green air my friend and God Bless.
Kurt
Aug 10, 2018, 08:18 AM
Team Horizon Pilot :)
I already miss you Buddy
Gavin
Latest blog entry: cr
Aug 10, 2018, 08:48 AM
Wally Thanks for putting the video up.

I will miss Gordy. He was always helpful and sociable.

I remember someone caught a thermal low and Gordy was yelling out use the rudder. Later I time the same one he had been yelling to and he caught another thermal low and use the rudder and went up while another was in the same thermal with high bank and did not go up. I learn a lot from being around Gordy.

He will be missed.

Art
Aug 10, 2018, 09:09 AM
God Speed Gordy.

You and I had some differences, but in the end you taught me more about finding lift and staying in it than anyone else could have. I hope you find lift forever more.
Aug 10, 2018, 09:09 AM
This one really hurts...Gordy has been my dear friend since We met at the MARCS Symposium in 1989. Always a major promoter of RC Soaring and the LSF Program he championed, he never deviated from his assumed role as Soarings Unofficial Ambassador and at the same time Reporter at Large for RC Soaring Digest. He picked some fights with Windmills I wouldn’t have tackled, but his heart was always in the right place. It was my Supreme Honor to help
Gordy fly his last contest. It gave us the chance to share moments and stories from the past. I always admired Gordy for the way he lived and talked about his family, and beloved Poodles. I sincerely hope that Gordy is in Soaring Heaven with Adam, Mustafa, Mark, and Dan,shooting landings for I Beat Gordy Buttons. Gordy I am glad the Pain is over. You truly lived life, and Died Well. You faced your illness and never asked Why Me? I am going to spend the day thinking about Kristine, Derek, and Reanna. I will think about the pranks We played on each other, like the time Philip Kolb, JoJo Grini, Ben Clerx and I called you at 3:00 in the morning and had JoJo speak to you in Norwegian. We will think about those huge shoes now left unfilled...... And You????
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Aug 10, 2018 at 06:38 PM.
Aug 10, 2018, 09:28 AM
All of us from AMA, Model Aviation, and NatsNews send our sympathies to Gordy's loved ones and his Soaring family. I was happy to see him out at Site 5 and be able to take a few photos of him for NatsNews, all of which are posted in the AMA Flickr album for Unlimited Soaring at http://www.flickr.com/photos/modelai...57671569744878. His interview for the NatsNews video was probably one of the best of all of them.

I met Gordy at Nats quite a few years ago. He was interested in what camera I was using and let me know that he enjoyed my photos. In the same sentence, however, he did tell me to stop taking photos of all of the pilots' backsides. Not easy when you are all launching away from me! But he always managed to give me a hug and say hi anytime I saw him, which was usually Nats and the Toledo Show.

Rest easy, blue skies, and soar high, Gordy.

Jenni Alderman
Associate Editor, Model Aviation and Park Pilot
(and NatsNews photographer)
Aug 10, 2018, 09:29 AM

The R/C Soaring Comunity's Loss

Gordy was something special. I recall the days when he was working his way through the LSF SAP. I was the LSF Secretary throughout his journey. He constantly plugged the SAP program here on the Internet and I would always see an uptick in LSF aspirant applications after one of his postings. In his own way with his own style, he directly and indirectly encouraged many in this hobby. The R/C soaring community has lost a cheerleader.
Aug 10, 2018, 10:16 AM
With tears in my eyes, for you my friend
Aug 10, 2018, 10:36 AM
Rest in Peace. High flights and long glides.
Aug 10, 2018, 10:42 AM

Memories of Gordy

Gordy was a frequent contributor to these forums. We wondered if he was a franchise when "Gordyville" near Rantoul, Illinois was discovered. One of Gordy's proudest moments as he receives his LSF Level V plaque from fellow LSF Level V, Ed Wilson.
Aug 10, 2018, 11:22 AM
Godspeed Gordy, while I wipe away a tear.
Aug 10, 2018, 12:08 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
I was only around Gordy a few times... but we talked on the phone quite a bit. What I remember best was the first time I flew with him. The Houston Hawk was brand new, and we were flying in northeast Ft. Worth. He was very outspoken about me leading soaring enthusiasts in the "wrong" direction... ... toward building reinforced woodies instead of molded models. It was comical, and mostly tongue in cheek. He called "Smarta$$!" over his shoulder when I thermalled up through the gaggle he was in... ... ending up on top. We had good conversations and never a cross word. He convinced me to come to the last Mid-South in Louisville, KY. I'm glad I made the trip. I out flew him a few times but never got my button... but I never pressed him for it. I talked to him a couple of times at the NATS. I was honored when he congratulated me for my times in Houston and for helping to bring the Hawks club back. I didn't know he thought about me that kindly. He was a true ambassador for our great love... that being RC Soaring. And even though I didn't know him that well, he was definitely a friend. Godspeed, Gordy! I'm sad that you're gone, but I celebrate having known you!

Jack Womack

Quick Reply