Aug 08, 2018, 08:19 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

OZNoP 2018 - Iambus 2

Hi all OZNoPers,

Picked what seemed like the smallest and simplest possible entry.
Partly in response to the highly complicated designs chosen by some, and partly to kick start my 1st entry in this build off.
Later I felt embarrassed to post a build log consisting of just one post and two pics.

But today, when I started cutting ans sanding, I realised that:
1. It may be tiny, it may be simple, but is beautiful, and a joy for a balsa sander.
2. And anyone who could dream up such an unusual design in 1945, get it published in Aeromodeller, and yet not have a picture of the model published in 73 years, surely deserves a build log. And pics. And a video.

Even if itís only one post and two pics. And later, a short video perhaps.
Only one pic for now, second after assembly...
Regards

Design by K.J.Miller in Aeromodeller, July 1945
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4441
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2018, 09:28 AM
Thread OP
Simple stuff sometimes has subtle complications.
The plan says the (elevon) Ďtabsí have 1/4Ē washout (that too curved!)
But if you look at the side view, the main wing panel itself has a few degrees washout.

And sure enough I used the stiffest speckled quarter grain I had, for a wing that that needs to be warped.
Rather than putting the wings in boiling water and bandaging them on at an angle to a suitable plastic bottle,
Maybe easier to cut the elevons and stick them back with 1/4 throw...
Or will it need hinges to trim?

And I thought I donít have to worry about decalage with a tailless design...
Aug 08, 2018, 10:03 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
There is nothing wrong with simple, sometimes the simplest models are the hardest to get to fly well!
Aug 08, 2018, 11:06 AM
Thread OP
The fuselage is quite nice, isnít it?
According to my (not so reliable) scale, the whole jing bang already weighs ~5gms.
Seems a bit high.
So the question of whether to apply a finish or not.
Humidity is 94% now, so canít dope, unless it goes below 70% or so and is sunny tomorrow.
Else PU.
Iím inclined to apply a finish to the parts before assembly, so that they can be finish sanded.
Aug 08, 2018, 11:17 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
I dodged a bullet with this one, it seems..! After my struggles with the last Challenge, I had, half-jokingly, threatened to join in the fun this time by choosing to build a three-piece chuck glider. When I consulted OZ, I found no plans that fitted this, and so ended up with another bipe to build. It was only later that I became aware of this 'plane, just a day or two before your inscription was announced. Ouf..! I've no idea what I'd have done with 'washout' or 'elevon' issues..! Yes, I'll be following this with interest, as much to see how it should be done as intrigued by the very concept. A Good Choice, in any case.
Aug 08, 2018, 12:02 PM
B for Bruce
I think I'd just do the wings over with easier warping wood. Or if you're game why not hot water form the wood?

Or if you want to stick with your idea cut away the elevons and "hinge" them back onto the wings with short bits of copper or utility iron wire. Or small tabs of aluminium about 2mm wide by 8mm long cut from the top of beer or pop can. That way you can set the reflex for trials.
Aug 08, 2018, 12:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer
There is nothing wrong with simple, sometimes the simplest models are the hardest to get to fly well!
Sir,
Perhaps I should confess to having read A.C. Kermode, Martin Simons etc long ago ( though unfortunately not George Stringwell, yet!) and used aerofoils from Martyn Pressnell long before coming across Dr Drelaís work or Airfoiltools.com.
I thought I began 50 years ago.
Then in Outerzone, stumbled upon a lightweight 35 CL stunter called Excaliber by Dick Mathis, that I recall many details of, and remember having had that 1965 issue of Flying Models.
So I guess I must have been flying my Frog or AM 150 CL around then (age 12) and picking up cigarette butts for DT!

Later I failed to get a Silver C as my duration flight lasted only 4 hours (Schweizer 126)...

But Iím an utter newbie in a few dozen areas like Wakefield, Peanut scale, rubber power, circle tow, magnetic steering, glow power over 0.40 cu.in, gas engines, ducted fans, A frames, Canards, helicopters, multirotors, electrics over 250 watts, FPV...

Thatís why I feel so glad about having found this forum / these build off threads.
Makes me feel like a teenager!
Big thanks to you, BMatthews and and so many others Iíve met on this forum only recently, but feel like old friends...
Regards
Aug 08, 2018, 12:55 PM
B for Bruce
A buddy of mine often said that if everyone built and flew model airplanes that wars would end overnight. I think much of that idea has to do with the building and creating. I suspect that those of us that create things, be they models or other things, tend to view the destruction and cost of war with a somewhat more sad outlook..... But maybe it's a bit better with model airplanes....

And there's nothing that transcends needless things like concern over skin colour or trade barriers like having a common interest at something like model building.

So...... you're more than welcome.
Aug 09, 2018, 01:59 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
The philosophy within this thread puts words to the heretofore formless wanderings of my own mind. The forum - or the people on it - have certainly increased my enjoyment of life in recent years!!

Following with interest.....
Aug 10, 2018, 10:38 AM
Thread OP
I was going to ask a real noob question.
ĎHow to get a smooth finish on balsa?í

Then I remembered my advice to many newbies on my forum (RCINDIA)
So I searched. And found BMatthews advice here
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...inishing-Balsa.

Did as advised, but lost patience after 3-4 coats of dope and talc.
And assembled it.

The surface is silken smooth, but not quite mirror finish.
And in my rush, forgot elevon washout...
Retro fitted washout on elevons (angle still being experimented with)
But
SURPRISE
Extremely sensitive to elevon setting...
But SHE FLIES
Aug 10, 2018, 11:34 AM
Congrats you are first to fly, What's next, there are still more than 2000 out there with no pictures. Keep up the good work.

Greg
Aug 10, 2018, 03:06 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Nicely done. Don't forget to send Steve at Outerzone a nice picture of the finished model for his plan page!
Aug 10, 2018, 05:02 PM
skumgummi dave
Love to see a video of it flying.

Dave-
Aug 12, 2018, 12:16 PM
Thread OP
Still test flying indoors, as it is too wet outside.
Canít believe how sensitive it is to the elevon reflex.

I suspect the elevons are stalling (upside down).
Perhaps cut the nose a bit and reduce reflex?

Or maybe a gradual washout instead of an abrupt one...

Perhaps Iíll have to build another in 1mm depron (disposable dinner plate) with twisted wings instead of elevons, to study the trim issues. Actually the side view in the plan shows washout, though the front view doesnít!

Inputs welcome.
Aug 12, 2018, 02:34 PM
Why not move the CG forward a little? It should make it less sensitive in pitch. An interesting model choice.

Richard.

Quick Reply