Sep 11, 2019, 08:38 AM
Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatheny
So I'm moving right along on mine - brought the new batteries up to storage charge last night

I was hoping that HK would get the damn Dr. Madthrust 2200kv motor back in so I could finish up the other things I have rotting away in my cart, but I think since this product came out they have vanished! Is there another brand that is equivalent??
Got this answer from HK:

"It looks like it is being discontinued.
Perhaps you would be interested in this one? https://hobbyking.com/en_us/dr-mad-thrust-series-motor-b2970-2600kv-for-70mm-edf-6s.html?wrh_pdp=1"

What was the issue with the 2600kv motor again?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2019, 09:03 AM
Still Screamin'!
That's too high a Kv. The amps will be really high and it will almost certainly burn up. It will be fine on 5 cells though. Actually perfect for 5 cells
Sep 11, 2019, 09:18 AM
Mike
So what's the recommended replacement motor (or motor/fan) for this?
Sep 11, 2019, 09:20 AM
Iíve been having trouble with my nose retract ever since I bent two struts (good landings just hit a battery bag on one and hit a clump of grass on another). Works fine on the ground but wonít work in the air. Had a gear up landing the other day because it wouldnít come back down.

Anyway, the stock graphics already were looking bad, so I think this weekend mine will be repainted to look like the black and orange X-Wing in the new Star Wars. The front half of the plane looks enough like an X-Wing so I figure why not.
Sep 28, 2019, 11:02 PM
Has anyone burned motor on this bird?
I've assembled mine and on a bench test it pulld 70-75A. After about 30 sec WOT started to smell burned oil. I turned off and measured motor temperature. It was 138C. Even if the motor would survive it would melt plastic mount.
The only 28mm outrunners that can handle these current I know are Freewing. But they are much bigger, exposed to air and 2300kv instead of 2400.
Sep 29, 2019, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockrat
Has anyone burned motor on this bird?
I've assembled mine and on a bench test it pulld 70-75A. After about 30 sec WOT started to smell burned oil. I turned off and measured motor temperature. It was 138C. Even if the motor would survive it would melt plastic mount.
The only 28mm outrunners that can handle these current I know are Freewing. But they are much bigger, exposed to air and 2300kv instead of 2400.
that Powerfun fan is by far the lightest load of all the Chinese 70mm multiblade rotors (lighter than the Freewing, which is lighter than the CS10, which is lighter than the CS12 (identical to the FMS 12-blade)

but of course 75A on 6s are too much for that motor, I agree - and there have been stories about burnt motors

did you check timing? if it is not on low already, setting it to the lowest value might help (I have no direct experience as I run the 4s version which draws less than 60A on 4s, that is an entirely different power level, with the same size (weight) motor, and pretty efficient it seems to me)
Sep 29, 2019, 06:13 AM
30 seconds at WOT static is a long time. Under normal operating conditions your battery, esc, and motor would have additional air flow and the motor would unload as the plane accelerates.
Fly it for 3 minutes at WOT, land and measure the temperature for a real world reading.

Regards
Dennis
Sep 29, 2019, 08:31 AM

6s version

Hello all.
I have a Skysword on the way and have a question.
What size connector is on the esc, XT 60 or 90? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, maybe I missed it. Trying to figure out what I need so I can have her ready to go asap, lol.

Loved this plane from the first time I saw it but wasn't sure how well it flew. After seeing a fellow club member fly one of the earlier 4s versions I wanted one but wasn't thrilled about its speed, it did fly well though and looked great in the air.
I'm glad I held out and have the 6s version on the way. Ordered a pink one that is on sale although I prefer the yellow. While Speaking to a friend I found another willing to trade a nib 6s yellow for my pink one. Schweet , i cant wait to get this in the air.
Thanks all.
Sep 29, 2019, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumDeflection
Hello all.
I have a Skysword on the way and have a question.
What size connector is on the esc, XT 60 or 90? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, maybe I missed it. Trying to figure out what I need so I can have her ready to go asap, lol.

Loved this plane from the first time I saw it but wasn't sure how well it flew. After seeing a fellow club member fly one of the earlier 4s versions I wanted one but wasn't thrilled about its speed, it did fly well though and looked great in the air.
I'm glad I held out and have the 6s version on the way. Ordered a pink one that is on sale although I prefer the yellow. While Speaking to a friend I found another willing to trade a nib 6s yellow for my pink one. Schweet , i cant wait to get this in the air.
Thanks all.
Canít answer your question as I got mine secondhand and it had a Talon 90 ESC, but Iíve grown to enjoy my SkySword more with each flight. Itís doesnít have the presence or adrenaline rush of my bigger scale 90mm EDFs, but it fits in my car without folding seats down and is a nice plane just to throw the sticks around and see what it does. Guess I still need to get a video of the lomcevaks and pop tops I can do with it.
Sep 29, 2019, 08:10 PM
Pop tops and lomcevaks lol,that's great.
I fly large scale aerobats and WWII prop planes usually. Like the way the jets look and sound ,the short flight times not so much. I have a 80mm edf as well,just couldn't resist the Skysword.
Sep 30, 2019, 12:04 AM
Registered RC NUT!
Nice day, 4 flights again, sadly by runcam did not record my forth flight. The Hat cam video is still uploading.

HK Skysword 1st flight on board chasing Derek (5 min 0 sec)

HK Skysword 2nd flight on board (4 min 24 sec)

HK Skysword 3rd flight on board spin time (4 min 5 sec)
Sep 30, 2019, 11:23 AM
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
nice, love the reflection from the canopy
Oct 06, 2019, 03:47 PM
Registered RC NUT!
beautiful day here in SO-CA!

HK Skysword 1st flight on board 10 6 19 (5 min 41 sec)
Oct 07, 2019, 05:17 AM

new struts

for the 70mm edf 6S version i use :
for nose i used this one 4mm hole 110mm see nose landing strut

and for wing landing gear 120mm left/right 4mm hole see left right/left wing gear[
Oct 14, 2019, 11:25 AM
EDF Balance GURU and RC addict
I sold mine but its so cool to still see it flying! I flew a little bit with it this weekend... can't say I miss it though! Its nice to have something different now!

Quick Reply