Aug 19, 2019, 01:43 PM
I just finished assembling my 6S SSword. Pretty easy except the alignment of the two screws in the horizontal tail plane. Also found the linkage a bit fiddly to get precise. Haven't heard much about the servos. I wish they were digital and metal geared, but maybe they will hold up.

I'm addicted to using gyros in my warbirds and jets. I'm installing one from Motion in the SkySword, mounting it inverted just in front of the CG in the back of the battery compartment. Has anyone else used a gyro in this plane? I know some guys don't like them. My thought on that is that they never used one or set it up properly. It's great technology and inexpensive as well. I install them with a transmitter on/off switch as well as variable gain and have had great luck with them. Just wondering if others have tried. I read where the SS can be bumpy on windy days and am looking to smooth that out.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2019, 09:17 AM
I maidened mind on Wednesday. Required almost. I trim to get level. Great power, and long verticals. I was a bit nose heavy as I learned during a slow roll 10 feet up when it dived inverted....

After the first battery I swapped out to a fresh one and left my lipo bag on the edge of the runway. I had the field to myself and figured I’d just make note to avoid it. Had a blast second flight as well, but of course managed to hit the lipos head on with the nose gear on landing. New gear leg will be here today and the lipos were fine, just meant I only got 2 flights in instead of 5.

Regarding the gyro, my FW A-10 and F-16 both have A3S3 gyros installed that lock the plane in the roll axis. Makes them very smooth and predictable in flight, and let’s me do one handed knife edge passes for the old farts on the flightline. That said, this plane won’t be getting one. Even with a 10 mph crosswind it was very smooth, and knife edge had almost no coupling to it.
Aug 23, 2019, 02:12 PM
Hey Ryguy, thanks for the information. Nice you got two good flights. I like the Motion Eagle A3s gyros better than the Horizon, although both are good. The Motion allow more flexibility in the air, what with on/off and gain adjustments. Stability in crosswinds with jets is important to me. We almost always have a crosswind or wind at an angle to our runway. Sadly, it also is grass, so there is more than one challenge with jets.

What size batteries did you use, and what were your flight times? I like to fly light, so probably will use 3300s. I also ordered a bunch of parts. HK has them inexpensively. Thanks for writing, happy flying. --Tony
Aug 23, 2019, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Nitro
Hey Ryguy, thanks for the information. Nice you got two good flights. I like the Motion Eagle A3s gyros better than the Horizon, although both are good. The Motion allow more flexibility in the air, what with on/off and gain adjustments. Stability in crosswinds with jets is important to me. We almost always have a crosswind or wind at an angle to our runway. Sadly, it also is grass, so there is more than one challenge with jets.

What size batteries did you use, and what were your flight times? I like to fly light, so probably will use 3300s. I also ordered a bunch of parts. HK has them inexpensively. Thanks for writing, happy flying. --Tony
I was flying on Turnigy HD 3300s. I set the timer for 3:30 to be conservative and they were at 3.80-3.82. Iíll bump it up to 4:00 next time and thatíll probably be about it.
Aug 23, 2019, 03:44 PM
Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatheny
Well spoke too soon. The last update that came in has the crazy URL.

http://url5878.vsobr.com/wf/click?up...YLfkIGqrzPw-3D

The first one had this - WTH is going on?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5#post42532111

EDIT: Found this - wonder why it just started doing this?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...from-vsobr-com
SO this is getting REALLY IRRITATING!! Is anyone else seeing this issue??
Aug 23, 2019, 03:46 PM
Quote:
SO this is getting REALLY IRRITATING!! Is anyone else seeing this issue??
Nope. Try putting in a ticket or posting on the support forums. Doubt a mod or admin will see it here.
Aug 23, 2019, 03:55 PM
Mike
I did send an email to the mod. So no one else is seeing this? I am using outlook.com for my email. But I have been using it for a couple of months and this started less than two weeks ago.
Aug 26, 2019, 12:24 PM
Well after all the good times I had with my lil pink skysword... it was time for it to go! I sold it this weekend and it went to a really good home! Here are some videos of it in slow motion being flown by its new owner...

Hobby King 70mm Sky Sword afterburner (0 min 27 sec)

Hobby King 70mm Sky Sword Slow Motion fly by (0 min 13 sec)
Aug 26, 2019, 01:08 PM
Mike
Why did you sell it? Sounds EERILY realistic in that slo-mo flyby!
Aug 26, 2019, 01:20 PM
I got in 3 more flights on mine yesterday. Fun little jet! Very light on the wing compared to what I’m used to.
Aug 26, 2019, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Why did you sell it? Sounds EERILY realistic in that slo-mo flyby!
Love it but had too many other new birds coming in... It won't get flown as much...
Aug 29, 2019, 01:09 PM
The Skysword is so much lighter on the wing than my other scale EDFs that I’ve perhaps gotten a little too comfortable with it too quickly. For one, it can do both a good lomcevak and a very nice 2-spin pop top. Ask, reverse thrust can get you done very interesting spins if you flip the switch at the top of a tailslide.
Aug 29, 2019, 08:42 PM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
We need to see that! I've never seen anyone do a lomcevak with an RC model.
Aug 29, 2019, 08:58 PM
Still Screamin'!
I do it all time with my Avanti.
Aug 29, 2019, 09:44 PM
Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryguy
The Skysword is so much lighter on the wing than my other scale EDFs that Iíve perhaps gotten a little too comfortable with it too quickly. For one, it can do both a good lomcevak and a very nice 2-spin pop top. Ask, reverse thrust can get you done very interesting spins if you flip the switch at the top of a tailslide.
Videos please!!!

Quick Reply