Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 08, 2018, 12:48 AM
Help!

XDP problem

Had all my stuff in storage for a while and when i installed Xdp software downloaded from Xps recently
i found if i was to select the view/change button on the Xdp program after Tx module found.The User interface disappears
and i have to stop the program running in the background either by stopping it with task manager or rebooting the pc to be able
to try again,otherwise i get the pop up Xdp already running.
Installed on a win 7 and win 10 machine with exact same problem.The win 7 machine being a fresh install.
Have tried the following,

Installed without AV running as administrator
Run without AV running as administrator
Reboot and run Xdp again and without AV running as administrator
Xdp usb lead is plugged directly into the pc and tried different usb leads and ports.
Even tried it with AV running :-)
Problem continues.
Can anyone shed some light as to how to rectify the problem i'm having?
Cheers.
Last edited by Craig 01; Aug 08, 2018 at 03:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2018, 12:45 PM
It's possible that the transmitter module's EEPROM is corrupted and that is why the app quits. There are only three variables used in the EEPROM by transmitter modules (power output, hopping mode, and aux). So they function even when the rest of the EEPROM is garbage. I probably should add a sanity check for that because receivers use the entire EEPROM and do a checksum.

Have you tried accessing any receivers to see if they work?
Aug 08, 2018, 07:28 PM
No I haven't tried connecting to a receiver .I only tried connecting to the Xdp to check and adjust settings.What would cause the eeprom to become corrupted whilst sitting stored ? I have two other tx modules so will try them and see.
Aug 08, 2018, 07:52 PM
Ok,tried another Tx module and same problem.
I'm kind of happy about that knowing the module is ok.Had to remove the 2nd module from its packet since all being returned from firmware upgrading.
So,the problem remains with the Xdp view/change screen disappearing on button selection and Xdp running in the background with no interface.
Aug 08, 2018, 08:04 PM
The 2nd module connected prior to selecting the view/change button.
Aug 08, 2018, 10:15 PM
Everything looks normal. Make sure the transmitter and XDP are at least 3 feet apart.

Try a receiver.

I tried a transmitter module here and it works fine, but we use that program just about every day to update transmitter modules and receivers that are sent to us for upgrade, so if there was some sort of inherit problem we would have seen it - and it would have been reported by a few thousand people who have XDPs.

You could try doing a RESET of the module as described in the manual. It's not likely that you would have multiple transmitter modules with corrupted EEPROMs. Why would they become corrupted? They shouldn't. I was just running through all of the possible scenarios that might make the screen not appear. The common reason for this to occur is an anti-virus and/or firewall program on the PC watching the USB ports. This is a known issue when either are running and are set to exclude the XDP, typically without you knowing it.

Oh! Another thing... what language are you using for Windows? I know you can't select any language that uses a DBCS (double-byte character set), like Kanji. That causes problems in general with VB6 apps.
Aug 09, 2018, 12:13 AM
Kanji as my system language,No,don't know the first thing about reading or writing Japanese or Chinese :-) .
Australian English is the global system language although i also tried American English,just in case and the problem remains.
Tried all previous with AV and Firewall disabled and problem remains.
Also added Xdp .exe to the firewall exclusion list and it made no difference.
Distance is about 4 feet and have varied that from less to greater.
This is crazy.I've spent a week on and off trying to get the XDP to be able to view/change the TX modules settings.
In my latest manual V3.0-3.8 it only refers to resetting the Receiver to defaults.Is it possible to reset the TX module to defaults?
Last edited by Craig 01; Aug 09, 2018 at 12:55 AM.
Aug 09, 2018, 03:33 AM
Hmmm.. I thought I had a reset to defaults, I will check. It's been probably 10 years since I did that.

Try a receiver. That will tell us if you have a problem with the modules being corrupted or there is a problem with maybe the VB6 runtime files.

I looked at the code, and there are two things that can cause the Tx screen to not open... one is a corrupted EEPROM (as I thought), and the other is a problem with the USB port data. When you click on the button, the main screen closes. that apparently works - and then the Tx screen is suppose to open after communicating with the XDP and then Tx module.

Here is something else you can try... run the Updater program (which will update the firmware of the JR transmitter module you have that is flashable). You could also try the RSSI program, which looks at the transmitter.
Aug 09, 2018, 06:07 AM
Reset to defaults for receiver but not Tx module that i could find in the manual.
Tried a receiver and worked as it should,can control a servo via the sliders in RX Diag.
I can bind the tx to a receiver and control a servo.
I can connect a receiver to Xpd and read and update Eeprom.
I can bind to TX Diag but unable to connect except for one time.
I can bind to RSSI and connect,although i have to be fairly close with tx module antenna to xdp.Doesnt matter which module or antenna i use.
I have 3 TX modules and 3 antennas that i removed from packing as supplied from firmware update and purchase for testing now,Except the initial non flashable tx module and antenna that i previously opened a week or so ago.
I also tried three different transmitters,A X-388s a 9x2 and a MX22.Same results for all.
Hopefully you can make sense of whats going on.As it's doing my head in :-)
Last edited by Craig 01; Aug 09, 2018 at 06:29 AM.
Aug 09, 2018, 08:24 AM
Tried to delete but system wont let me.Was a pic of all gear.
Last edited by Craig 01; Aug 09, 2018 at 09:15 AM. Reason: delete
Aug 09, 2018, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 01
Reset to defaults for receiver but not Tx module that i could find in the manual.
Tried a receiver and worked as it should,can control a servo via the sliders in RX Diag.
Ok, so that proves the XDP hardware and software installation is correct. The issue would have to be with the modules.

Quote:
I can bind to TX Diag but unable to connect except for one time.
The TxDiag requires that the module be in hopping mode 1. No other hopping modes are supported.

Quote:
I can bind to RSSI and connect,although i have to be fairly close with tx module antenna to xdp.Doesnt matter which module or antenna i use.
That makes no sense. You could be a mile away from the XDP and still bind/connect. Do you have a wireless router sitting next to this computer that has the XDP connected? That could definitely cause the problem you are having.
Aug 09, 2018, 04:52 PM
Your saying all three modules sent back to me are corrupted?
Yes i was in hopping mode 1,Checked several times.
Turned router off and made no difference.
Opened Xdp program this morning running as admin,AV off and no text.
Closed and opened the program to be sure.
I can add the text by editing the Xdp .ini file and adding English as language .
All other Xdp programs open with text.
I still cant help thinking there is a problem with the Xdp software i have.
Last edited by Craig 01; Aug 09, 2018 at 05:09 PM.
Aug 09, 2018, 06:14 PM
You MUST select a language or you definitely not get any text. The XDP program is the only one of the bunch that does this because it supports localization (different languages). You set the language from the pull-down menu. Keep in mind that you always have to run the XDP program in Administrator mode (and the entire installation had to be done in Administrator mode) or it will not work correctly. The ONLY reason you can get a blank language is if you are NOT running the XDP program in Administrator mode.

I doubt your modules are corrupted. I updated a module myself today and ran the XDP and it worked just fine. This is more likely some sort of odd USB/cable issue. We do see issues like this when using a USB hub, which is why you can't plug the XDP into a hub - something to do with the FTDI driver. What happens when you run Analyzer program?

Hopping mode 1 is only needed for the TxDiag program. The RSSI program requires hopping modes 2 to 5 for it to work.
Aug 09, 2018, 07:30 PM
Running as administrator am unable to set language in Xdp as the drop-down is inactive until I edit the Xdp.ini file.Had this problem initially and it corrected itself.Then the disappearing ui when view/change selected in Xdp.
Analyser shows mac address etc
Aware of hopping mode requirements for use in the program.
Have used two pc's,different USB leads and ports without hubs all with same problem.
Will try another PC and report back.
Aug 10, 2018, 12:58 AM
The XDP program generates the .ini file itself. You can delete the .ini completely and a new one will automatically be generated. If that is NOT the case, then you really are not running in Administrator mode (full permissions). Are you using a user account or the administrator account?

Quick Reply