Aug 08, 2018, 12:05 AM
Discussion

Most Popular Radio System

I was wondering whatís the most popular radio system glider pilots are using today? Back when I first got into sailplanes Airtronics seemed like one of the popular systems being used.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2018, 05:25 AM
founder of the SSP
I have a Futaba 12FG and really like it. I fly all kinds of r/c stuff and it has never let me down or left me wanting for more. It also works on 72 as well as 2.4. Yes, I still have some 72 stuff and it works just fine.
Aug 08, 2018, 08:59 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Spektrum, which is the most popular system with pretty much every segment of the hobby.

Very good sailplane programming, but poor telemetry range, some interesting challenges with varios and their less expensive receivers and the receivers are large for their channel count and there's no end-pin 4ch unit. I really like their radios, but am decidedly less enthused with the receiver lineup and the telemetry range challenges for soaring.

Futaba and FrSky are probably the next most popular units. Both are very capable, but FrSky's got the lead on sailplane-specific items, with two receivers that are glider-specific (the G-RX6 and G-RX8, each with a built-in vario) and the best selection of small, end-pin receivers on the market. Futaba has a good selection of receivers that are well suited to sailplanes but more limited telemetry. FrSky also offers a full-range game controller TX that's ideal for handlaunch.

After that is Jeti & Graupner, both of which have an excellent lineup for sailplane use, but are expensive (Jeti) or somewhat limited in distribution (Graupner).

Some folks also use the FlySky radios, which are inexpensive and decent. A few still fly other systems (JR, Hitec, even Tactic) and Multiplex is popular in Europe.
Aug 08, 2018, 10:56 AM
I agree with everything above. personal preference is Frsky Taranis X9D, I have one of the originals and it's still going strong. Disadvantages: I was a bit of a Luddite as I started flying over 45 years ago and the TX told be what channel was for what, similar today with the majority of radios so it was difficult for me to understand the concept of Frsky. Advantages: Once you realise that it's a bit different and you tell it what you want it's a revelation. The programming is endless and the community on RCGroups are really helpful, they'll share all the programs for free in the main. Get one get used to it and you'll never go back. Plus from a price point you can't beat it. If I was to start over I'd get the Q7 slightly less bells and whistles than the X9D Plus but way cheaper. I run quite complex gliders and e gliders and I've yet to use half the switches.

Tony

Tony
Aug 08, 2018, 02:38 PM
J, with 1,694 post I would think you would know better then to post such a hot button question. ������
That being said. I use a Graupner mz24 pro. More bells and whistles then I will ever use, never a problem with the radio connection and great customer service.
Aug 08, 2018, 07:40 PM
I'm a Futaba person , like for decades ,and could care less about bells and whistles .
I'm not about to deal with brown outs and loss of bind commonly associated with other systems , it's all about the signal link ,everything else is pretty much background noise .
Gratter is right , this question has been asked and answered .
Aug 08, 2018, 07:59 PM
Brownouts happen with Futaba as well, no manufacturer is immune.
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
Aug 08, 2018, 08:43 PM
I'm still using 72 mHz Airtronics stuff for TD, but I've noticed that the Taranis radio seems popular around here. (That's FrSky, right??)
Aug 08, 2018, 08:43 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmaven
I'm a Futaba person , like for decades ,and could care less about bells and whistles .
I'm not about to deal with brown outs and loss of bind commonly associated with other systems , it's all about the signal link ,everything else is pretty much background noise .
Brownouts are by definition an issue with the power to the receiver, not the radio system.

A brownout is when a device stops working because the voltage sagged too low to continue to power the device.
Aug 08, 2018, 08:44 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
I'm still using 72 mHz Airtronics stuff for TD, but I've noticed that the Taranis radio seems popular around here. (That's FrSky, right??)
Yep, Taranis is FrSky's value line, with Horus being their higher-end units.
Aug 08, 2018, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratter
J, with 1,694 post I would think you would know better then to post such a hot button question. ������
That being said. I use a Graupner mz24 pro. More bells and whistles then I will ever use, never a problem with the radio connection and great customer service.
LOL, I had thought about that. However, being out of soaring for awhile I was interested to see what people were using. Interesting discussion so far.
Aug 08, 2018, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmaven
Technology is always changing, always good to see what people are using.
Aug 08, 2018, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
Yep, Taranis is FrSky's value line, with Horus being their higher-end units.
Very interested in the Horus line, I like the overall quality. I was wondering if itís gaining popularity in the sailplane community.
Aug 09, 2018, 01:53 AM
I’d say Frsky is already quite popular with sailplane flyers, I’m not sure if it works on the Horus but for the Taranis there is the excellent TD/Esoar setup from Mike Shellim, although not used it myself as I’m more DLG than the bigger models.

I’ve been a Spektrum flyer for years and never had a issue but recently swapped to the Taranis for better rx choice for my needs, the G-RX6 is amazing and tiny and the performance is way better than the GRX8. If Spektrum gave us better choice I’d most like fly it in my sailplanes again but I fear they are only interested in stuff that fits their own range of toy like bnf models now or Jets.
Aug 09, 2018, 02:37 AM
For soaring yes the Horus is gaining popularity. The X12 as it's been out longer but the X10 I believe is now not far behind. Re Mike's soaring programmes absolutely brilliant and free and any questions he answers directly on here. I know as I've just set up an e glider with one of his programmes.

Quick Reply