Aug 26, 2018, 09:33 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticketec
I'll take some pic's of the cargo door hinge area for you
Quick correction, Nose gear door hinges, not cargo doors . cargo doors are just outlines on the fuselage skin on this model and not functional.

Quote:
But I have to say WOW!! you work really fast! and its looking pretty amazing already!!
Thanks! I'm on a bit of a modeling kick, so I'm trying to take advantage of it before I get in a lazy slump.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 27, 2018, 12:44 AM
The down link in detail

The red flagged pin is the gear locking pin. you can also see some nose gear door hinges in the pic's. pretty standard offset hinges
Last edited by ticketec; Aug 27, 2018 at 03:59 AM.
Aug 27, 2018, 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dee
Quick correction, Nose gear door hinges, not cargo doors . cargo doors are just outlines on the fuselage skin on this model and not functional.
I'll take the picture of the cargo door hinges and then you can tell me
Last edited by ticketec; Aug 27, 2018 at 03:57 AM.
Aug 27, 2018, 08:51 AM
Will build for food!!!
Thanks! I'm on a bit of a modeling kick, so I'm trying to take advantage of it before I get in a lazy slump.[/QUOTE]

And I thought I was the only one who got those lazy slumps from building planes.

Looking great so far Chris. I just got done painting and putting together the A-10 ordinance this weekend. Getting her ready for E Jets next week.
Aug 27, 2018, 09:02 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
I'll take the picture of the cargo door hinges and then you can tell me
Sounds good, and thanks again for all the help. Regarding the down link I got an idea brewing in my head for keeping it simple in my design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by attwooddrow
And I thought I was the only one who got those lazy slumps from building planes.

Looking great so far Chris. I just got done painting and putting together the A-10 ordinance this weekend. Getting her ready for E Jets next week.

Awesome, cant wait to see some pics from E Jets.
Aug 27, 2018, 10:00 AM
Will build for food!!!
Awesome, cant wait to see some pics from E Jets.[/QUOTE]

No problem DirtyDee

I still need to get you're cockpit kit.

I just painted the new replacement struts from Motion to help with the bounce problems. They look great.
Aug 27, 2018, 02:42 PM
How to model this....?

5am high powered engine runs

Where’s my pillow
Aug 27, 2018, 07:20 PM
Subbed
Aug 28, 2018, 12:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by attwooddrow
I still need to get you're cockpit kit.

I just painted the new replacement struts from Motion to help with the bounce problems. They look great.
You know where to find me whenever you want to grab that cockpit set . Yea, I prefer the look of the upgraded mains vs the TLs as well.

Quote:
How to model this....?

5am high powered engine runs

Where’s my pillow
Talk about early day at the office

SJ, I saw one of your SAS birds coming in to ORD on my way home from work today. If you squint really hard, you can make out the A340 with a blue tail and red nacelles

Progress
In development news, I finally have 3 configurations to compare with internal structures. The printed internal supports by themselves add a lot of stiffness to the part and make me wonder if I even need carbon tubes at all besides the wings and tail surfaces.

Since I plan to house all of the electronics possible over the wingbox, the nose gear shouldn't experience much impact load during normal landings (or even botched). Even looking at the structures document, the nose gear tub isn't as built-up as I would imagine.

The interface between split fuselage sections also has me rethinking how that will be accomplished to minimize visible gaps when joined. For now I am taking a step back from the nose and switching my focus to the tail section. Rather than having the vertical tail removable, I decided to go with removable vertical stabilizers, as that should make the tail section a bit more transportable.
Aug 28, 2018, 02:38 AM
Airliner lover
this model is too nice, are all the parts gonna or like, flpas, spoliers, ailerons, leading edge slats?
Aug 28, 2018, 02:44 AM
SJ
SJ
Yep, I have fixed some thing on that one
Aug 28, 2018, 08:15 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitedairlines
this model is too nice, are all the parts gonna or like, flpas, spoliers, ailerons, leading edge slats?
Thanks, all of the control surfaces will be individual printed parts. Spoilers are planned unless there is a major issue that will mess up my schedule for completion. LE Slats will be decided once the model is ~95% finalized for printing, and will depend on overall airframe complexity as well as estimated AUW.
Aug 29, 2018, 01:59 AM
Airliner lover
Any chance of addin interior detail towards the end of the model, like a cockpit and passenger seats, can’t wait to see this model, I’m stoped on this
Aug 29, 2018, 10:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitedairlines
Any chance of addin interior detail towards the end of the model, like a cockpit and passenger seats, can’t wait to see this model, I’m stoped on this
I plan on modeling a flight deck, but nothing currently for the cabin area. Doing cabin detail could add a very noticeable amount of weight, though would make for a very nice static display. Depending how this project progresses, I might later add some cabin detail.

Progress

Even after replacing the rods and bearings on my printer, I still have a radial wobble of the build plate (though less severe than before), which causes the Z-offset issue when trying to print the sections with open windows. Reading a bit, it seems like this is inherent in the design of the prusa i3, so I might need to change the Y carriage to a 4 bearing configuration instead of the 3 bearing. I've also been thinking about getting a delta printer in the near future, but probably not before I finish this project.

I have included a test STL file of the fuselage section if anyone wants to give it a shot on their printer. Its a short section and takes about 3hrs with 0.2mm layer height (no supports, but give it a brim).

I have also completed getting the remainder of the fuselage and tail shelled for 0.8mm wall thickness and prepped for removable horizontal stabilizers. Applying ABS mass properties, its estimating about 1269g. Though I still need to add all of the structural supports, this is showing to be promising so far with AUW .
Aug 30, 2018, 06:44 AM
I'll see if i can get a test print done this weekend for you

Quick Reply