Jun 19, 2019, 07:21 AM
Incredible flight, I cannot believe how well it flies! The iterations will only improve it beyond!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2019, 09:41 PM
My cat moderates better
Well done! It looks superb.
Jun 20, 2019, 12:49 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys!

Slow week so far taking care of work and home stuff, so no further updates yet on the airbus. I also have a bit of travel coming up so unfortunately, I cant fly it again until middle of July.

This weekend I am hoping to have some time to make the final updates to the model and begin packaging the files for the release. The 0.3mm nozzle updates will come later, so the initial release will be just the original 0.4mm nozzle design with minor tweaks for servos, and better attachment for the wings and removeable sections.
Jun 22, 2019, 08:58 AM
Awesome work!Look forward to your refinements and more videos.
Jun 23, 2019, 09:34 AM
Hey DD,

Been silent on this thread for a while but have been popping in and keeping an eye every once in a while.

Massive congrats on the flights!! it looks really good in the sky. Massive amount of work and achievement to get it there.

Thanks

dave
Jun 23, 2019, 01:48 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Dave and cpe320!

Got the model file open right now thinking about the ailerons. I'm considering widening them about 12mm and 6mm deeper. Shouldnt affect the appearance too much and it could also help with getting the servos located in a thicker section of the wing.
Jun 25, 2019, 07:43 PM
I think it’s a good compromise if it enhances the handling.
Super work, DD!
Jun 26, 2019, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dee
Hey Woody,

I still need to get comfortable with flying the Airbus, but it was similar to the ERJ. It really needs rudder for turns, and ailerons don't provide quick roll response. Roll spoilers would be a good addition, so I am trying to think of a way to add them. Otherwise I am modifying the ailerons slightly to give more throw.

I also watch ramy, and was concerned myself about getting into a high speed stall or botching the landing. I do believe the washout I added may be helping with the flight characteristics.

Regarding mods, I will be considering the following:
-Mounting/alignment tabs for servos for quicker installation and rigging
-Enlarging the ailerons
-Thumb screw mounting method for wings.
-0.3mm nozzle options for control surfaces, stabilizers, and nacelles (160g weight reduction).
-0.3mm nozzle option for nose section ahead of the retract mounting plate (23g weight reduction)
-Change stringers from 1.6mm to 1.2mm (32g weight reduction)
Hi Dee,

I subscribe to Ramy's Youtube channel. excellent builder, love to watch him work. I just think he need help in the aero dynamics area.

I wanted to offer a little feed back if I might. I would make the wing just a bit thicker. Build in a little down slat on the outer tips of the wing, IE increase the wing tip lift if possible. Increase the tail feathers just a bit, not so it throws everything off, say 10 % or less. After that I would experiment with angle of attack of the wing. Increasing it or decreasing it until you find the sweet spot. Very small adjustments.

I thought it looked like it was flying way better than I expected it too. Remember Ramy's planes weigh a lot. Too much, I'm pretty sure he knows it, and is working on it.

I think you can make adjustments to make it fly as you would like, and still look really scale. I was seriously amazed at how well it flew. You impressed the heck out of me. You are an inspiration.

I'm going to try to find time to build my Windrider 737 in the fall. In my early days I use to finish & seal my foam models with something called flight coat. it was basically a thinner monokote for foam. I use it a lot, if you applied it just right there wasn't much gatering. But I think you can worry a little less about that on your ABS air frame.

Hey Dee, I'm very interested to know how much adding the carbon rods did to stiffen up the fuselage? Did it feel more solid after?

Best Regards
Woody
Jun 26, 2019, 09:08 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2727
I think itís a good compromise if it enhances the handling.
Super work, DD!
Thanks! You planning on attending Jet Jam again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcock
I wanted to offer a little feed back if I might. I would make the wing just a bit thicker. Build in a little down slat on the outer tips of the wing, IE increase the wing tip lift if possible. Increase the tail feathers just a bit, not so it throws everything off, say 10 % or less. After that I would experiment with angle of attack of the wing. Increasing it or decreasing it until you find the sweet spot. Very small adjustments.
This would best be done in a simulation software like :http://www.xflr5.com/xflr5.htm

I have been wanting to learn and use this tool for a while, so I may begin experimenting with it this winter. I don't get much opportunity to fly at my larger field, so doing experimentation on the A330 wings would be hard to do in a timely manner, not to mention having to print/build new wings for each test condition (time consuming and costly). If I get a good grasp of that simulation tool, I definitely will implement any changes that help with flight characteristics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcock
Hey Dee, I'm very interested to know how much adding the carbon rods did to stiffen up the fuselage? Did it feel more solid after?
Not too sure about the added stiffness. I didn't attempt any drop test to see the fuselage strength on a high impact landing. I guess we will see after I get a few more flights on the airframe if anything comes up.
Jun 28, 2019, 01:52 AM
Yes,I will plan on being there next year.
Work got in my way this time. ��
Jul 02, 2019, 09:42 AM
Thread OP
I hear you Paul, I missed a few jet jams due to other obligations.

Was out of town over the weekend, but I managed to knock out 2 birds with one stone with a test print. The Servo blocks for the elevator and rudder servos turned out well, and allow for a much quicker and easier install of HS-85MG servos, though with some balsa blocks, smaller servos could be installed instead.

I also tested black ABS filament, both for finish and for Sun/Heat testing. Left them out in 94 deg F weather on asphalt for about 20 minutes. Surface temperature read 141 deg F and no signs of skin softening or any warping.

Unrelated, if anyone enjoys build threads, I have a poll started to decide my next 90mm scratchbuild. The most popular selection in the poll will be the airframe I build, and also share plans for once completed.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hbuild-Project
Jul 02, 2019, 11:35 AM
Hi Dee, been enjoying every update of the build so far.

Have you finalised a version for the A330 so we can get our hands on it and print it out?

Thanks,
Osman.
Jul 02, 2019, 01:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSM7N
Hi Dee, been enjoying every update of the build so far.

Have you finalised a version for the A330 so we can get our hands on it and print it out?

Thanks,
Osman.
Hi Osman. I am still in the process of updating the design based on some tweaks needed during the assembly of the first airframe. This is the easy/quicker portion, but I still need to write an assembly manual, which would take a fair bit more time. I am looking to have it uploaded to Cults3d in roughly 2-3 weeks.

The build manual will give specific information about gluing the various joint styles, and detail recommended workflow with assembling the sections.
Jul 07, 2019, 11:44 PM
Thread OP
Chipping away at the assembly guide the past week. The tail section hosted on cults3d and thingiverse will get updated this week, and then the full download will follow shortly after, maybe by this weekend.
Jul 08, 2019, 12:13 PM

Kit

Will you possibly print this up and sell it as a kit for those of us who donít have 3D printers?

Quick Reply