Hey Guys, Watch This.......
Awesome. Congratulations.

Mike
Jun 16, 2019, 06:30 AM
It looks fantastic !!! Congrats !!!
Jun 16, 2019, 12:07 PM
Thread OP
Thanks!

One correction, my timer had 3 minutes, but I actually stopped it after I taxied it back in, so the 25% is for a 2 minute flight. Here is a full video from a member here who captured the whole maiden flight.

3D Printed A330-300 Airliner - Maiden Flight (2 min 40 sec)
Last edited by Dirty Dee; Jul 13, 2019 at 03:39 PM.
Jun 16, 2019, 12:18 PM
Site Aspie
Smooth flying plane. Nice job.
Jun 16, 2019, 09:09 PM
Design.Build.Fly
Chris, it was nice meeting you at the Jam and getting to check out your awesome A330. It was cool to see your extremely successful maiden flight in person as I was impressed with how well it flew. I cant wait to see it with a finished paint scheme on it.
Congrats
Jun 17, 2019, 11:20 AM
Chris, the tail files you already published on Cults3D, are those the final parts or you think they may change in the final version?
Jun 17, 2019, 01:28 PM
Thread OP
Thanks lynxman and phantomphan.

Jorge, are you planning on printing in ABS or another material? The forward-most fuselage section of the tail is getting a small update to fix some "sagging" issues when it gets attached to the remainder of the fuselage. I am making some tweaks for panel lines on the Leading edges of the stabilizers, and mounting brackets for the elevator and rudder servos for easier assembly.

I also am looking into some extra weight savings in the tail by modifying existing internal structures as well as optional 0.3mm nozzle parts. I should have a better answer for you by next weekend. I believe the tail can shed close to 50g
Jun 17, 2019, 02:05 PM
Thank you for your answer, I don't really like to print on ABS too much, but giving the weight bennefits it has, I think I will be testing with the tail parts and wait for the final release.

By the way, what paint theme are you planning to apply, are you open for suggestions?
Jun 17, 2019, 04:21 PM
Thread OP
Ok, the files I made have a sacrificial base that get discarded after the print to deal with ABS warping. IF PETG or PLA is used, I would need to upload additional STLs that do not have that sacrificial base.

Right now I plan on painting in Virgin Atlantic, Though I am planning on printing a second updated fuselage, so this one may get a different scheme. I do like SAS as a close second, but I am open to suggestions.
Jun 17, 2019, 10:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcock
Where is the flight vid Dee??

How did it handle? Were you able to control it effectively? LOL Were you driving it, or was it driving you? I think this is awesome mate! Great job!

I watch Ramy all the time, pretty masterful builder, gotta feel for him when he crashes some of those beautiful planes.

I really like your approach Dee. If ya crash it, you can basically print and build another.

I'm interested so see what mods you decide are needed, IE thicker wing, slightly larger tail, etc.

Gongrats Dee on a successful maiden.

Woody

PS, yes I want to buy the files and make my own when you're ready mate. W
Hey Woody,

I still need to get comfortable with flying the Airbus, but it was similar to the ERJ. It really needs rudder for turns, and ailerons don't provide quick roll response. Roll spoilers would be a good addition, so I am trying to think of a way to add them. Otherwise I am modifying the ailerons slightly to give more throw.

I also watch ramy, and was concerned myself about getting into a high speed stall or botching the landing. I do believe the washout I added may be helping with the flight characteristics.

Regarding mods, I will be considering the following:
-Mounting/alignment tabs for servos for quicker installation and rigging
-Enlarging the ailerons
-Thumb screw mounting method for wings.
-0.3mm nozzle options for control surfaces, stabilizers, and nacelles (160g weight reduction).
-0.3mm nozzle option for nose section ahead of the retract mounting plate (23g weight reduction)
-Change stringers from 1.6mm to 1.2mm (32g weight reduction)
Jun 18, 2019, 02:34 AM
audentes fortuna iuvat
Congratulation DD. Flys ectremely well.
Jun 18, 2019, 07:50 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Jeff.
Jun 18, 2019, 08:20 PM
Need 4 Speed!
Congrats on the incredibly successful test flight Dirty Dee! Awesome model.
Latest blog entry: original Y/A F-18 Kit
Jun 18, 2019, 11:07 PM
Thread OP
thanks!

Quick Reply