Apr 15, 2019, 05:31 PM
Thread OP
I'm going to do something new to actuate the retracts. I will use JP actuators with lead screws directly to the legs. No over center lock or anything like that will be needed. There is no way the legs will spin the screw by applying a force. The only thing I am unsure about is the strength of the actuator body and screw if I load it directly. It would be simplest that way and simple is the best solution if it works. I am unable to dismantle the actuators so I don't know how they are assembled, but I'm giving it a shot.

The wings are almost finished. All that remains is to design the aileron servo pocket and cable channel. The rest of the internal structure, spars , joiners and flap stuff is finished.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2019, 06:07 PM
Thread OP
I printed the wingtips and they came out perfect.
Apr 16, 2019, 10:48 AM
Pro Hoarder
Cool..Parts
Latest blog entry: In flight
Apr 16, 2019, 11:49 AM
Great project!
Apr 16, 2019, 09:43 PM
Thread OP
Landing gear. Inside there will be an oil shock and spring. I think the scissor link is strong enough to be functional.
Apr 19, 2019, 01:41 AM
Thread OP
Adding internal structure is very complicated sometimes.

This should print well and be strong. This is where the main gear is attached.
He-162 test (0 min 39 sec)
Apr 19, 2019, 10:41 AM
Pro Hoarder
I wish I had CAD skills...Very nice work
Latest blog entry: In flight
Apr 19, 2019, 12:23 PM
SJ
SJ
me too...I can make boxes , cylinders and triangles :-)
Apr 21, 2019, 02:44 AM
Thread OP
You can create surprising stuff with only basic shapes too.

I ordered a pair of smooth balloon wheels from Williams Bros now. Ideally they should be 5,5", but 5,25" is close enough: http://www.wmbros.com/store/p53/Smoo...2C_1_Pair.html

I wanted to print the tire but it's acting up with TPU now so I decided to order. I will print the rims. These will be better looking than printed tires too.

The full size HE-162 has 660x190 mm main tires and a 380x190 mm nose wheel. My model is ~1:4,53 scale.
Last edited by Lynxman; Apr 21, 2019 at 02:53 AM.
Apr 21, 2019, 10:17 AM
Thread OP
It's hard work. So much to do to get it done. I will probably print the green and purple sections first so that I can test the landing gear operation. Today I started figuring out the nacelle, and finished the main gear doors. The ESC will be exposed to the airflow in the bottom of the inlet. I wonder where the batteries will have to be placed to balance. It's very hard to estimate accurately, but there should be plenty of room all the way from the wing CG position forward to the nose leg area for them. Ideally I'd like to avoid long battery wires but I can always add caps to the ESC like on the EL-39.

I haven't figured out how I will configure the elevator actuation. I'm tempted to use a single servo in the main gear bay with a carbon tube back. That would reduce the tail weight. Alternatively I can simply fit smaller servos in to the fuselage side immediately under each side of hstab, which would avoid having to have an access hatch the the elevator control horns. The rudder servos are installed into the ends of the hstabs with the arm sticking out the underside of the hstabs immediately inside the vstabs.

The main gear struts I have printed are coming out incredibly strong. They will probably withstand even my landings, and then some.
Apr 21, 2019, 10:27 AM
Thread OP
Walkaround:
HE 162 3d 03 (0 min 32 sec)
Apr 21, 2019, 05:14 PM
thats nice, is a bit tricky that you need to add servos = weight that far back in the tail for Elevator and rudders ! That will be for 120mm turbine?
Apr 22, 2019, 03:10 AM
Thread OP
It will be for 120 mm EDF. I will probably make a nacelle for turbines too.

HEre's one of the struts. It's very strong.
Apr 22, 2019, 05:25 AM
Thread OP
I just started printing one of the big fuselage sections. I'm trying to print it with 0,3 mm extrusion width to reduce the weight over 0,4 mm so it will take 64 hours. :P Narrower extrusion requires lower layer heigh, which increases print time.
Apr 22, 2019, 08:52 AM
good looking strut!

Quick Reply