Nov 07, 2019, 08:27 AM
Hi Guys. I literally just started 3d printing as of today in order to build this aircraft. I just a few questions about settings for the print.

I've got an artillery sidewinder x1 and I'm using Cura for the slicing, i'm currently just running through the files to get the g-codes.

In Cura is wall line count the same as perimeter as mentioned in Lynxmans 3d cult instructions? Also i assume top and bottom layers are just extra sacrificial layers?

Thanks sorry for the stupid questions. Really looking forward to this plane.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2019, 04:05 AM
Yes, it's the same as you stated.

But to be honest...
I'm not sure if this is a proper project to start with 3D printing. This one is huge! It's also printed with 0,3mm walls and I have some doubts that Cura is the right slicer for this.

Lynxman has also published some smaller planes, maybe you give one of these a try first.
Nov 08, 2019, 05:43 AM
Yeah, I started slicing last night and fuse2 is like 60hrs. Jeez.

I've had a look online there is a few rc planes available that are smaller. Already had issues with prints lifting, I used of a glue on the bed worked a treat.
Nov 08, 2019, 06:49 AM
You will discover many more small issues, believe me...

BTW: I have a Sidewinder X1, too. The parts stick on the bed very well normally. If they do not, either your bed isn't levelled properly or the surface isn't clean...or both.

To clean the build plate use 70% isopropanol alcohol. I do it every 2-3 prints and have no sticking problems at all.
Nov 08, 2019, 07:17 PM
My print worked well then subsequent ones did not stick well at all. The ambient temp has been in the high 30's (celcius) I didn't know if that was a factor as well. I've got 3 kids so not a lot of time to experiment. The pva worked real well however.

Back to the plane print, is there anyway to split some of the parts? Fuse 2 although looks great is a 60hr+ print would be great to split it into say 12-18hr prints.
Nov 09, 2019, 03:58 AM
Yes there are several ways to split parts. The easiest one is to set a z-offset in the slicer. You place parts of the print below the build plate and only the part, that is above the plate will be printed.

But another thing. I just sliced fuselage2 of the He-162 in Cura and I get an estimated printing time of 16 hours with 0.2mm layer hight and 50mm/sec print speed.

There is something wrong in your settings when you need 60 hours for this part.
Nov 09, 2019, 07:28 PM
I think I had it set to .16mm height as per lynxman in instructions. But I'll double check.

Your suggestion to clean the bed isopropyl alcohol worked a treat. I've put this project on hold till I work out more of the printer. To do so I'm printing the Stearman from labprint as a first rc trial.
Last edited by TyberJV44; Nov 16, 2019 at 11:13 PM.
Nov 10, 2019, 02:49 AM
It's still only 20h with 0.16mm layer height. I guess you have some infill or something.

Good decision to start with a smaller plane though!
Nov 20, 2019, 02:03 AM
When slicing a couple of weeks ago, i noticed that in fuselage04 there is a tube pass thru in the top of the print. When i sliced this, i saw that it began building this tube as an infill tube, and not with normal bridging (it went straight to zig zag on the bottom layers) because about 95% is unsupported this had me a little worried. not yet knowing exactly what the load bearing requirement are for this part i sought help from a FB forum member who is also dutch (easy communication)
i send him only the fuse file and he made a test print. the yellow prints are his on recommend settings on a prusa.
and then his little solution. he added 2 little triangle bars all the way left to right. one on top on on the bottom. this way the slicer sees this pointy edge first and makes a perfect brigde. then its lays 2 or 3 more layers as long bridges before the ''original'' bottom layers of the tube begin.
the grey is my own printed version after he send the files back to me. dont mind the bad print quality, it was moist filament and a quick setting.

the result has me satisfied and less worried that in this (for me ) 68 hr print, it could fail at the 60 hr mark
Last edited by AeroTechNL; Nov 20, 2019 at 03:04 AM.
Dec 04, 2019, 11:14 PM
What program did he use to add the triangles bars to aid the print?
Dec 24, 2019, 01:57 AM
it was simply drawn in Fusion360 and added as a new model in S3D.
he then send the files back in the proper arrangement and we set up a new custom profile so that the bottom, top layers were correct for this to work.

its fairly simple
Feb 03, 2020, 06:54 AM
Hi Lynxman. I've started printing out the landing gear for this and i'm after some more details on the main struts. In the 3dcults page you mention that there is an upper carbon 18x16mm tube and a 16x14mm tube for lower strut.

Does this mean you have the 18x16mm tube inside the 3d printed Main Strut 1, with the 16x14 running inside? how is the 130mm suspension attached to the lower and main strut?

Thanks

Quick Reply