Sep 27, 2019, 01:41 PM
Yes, I first thought, that you pulled the elevator on the take off pretty hard, but then I saw, that she was already in the air.
Flight characteristics seem to be very good. The low and slow pass and the powerful climb out afterwards impressed me the most.

Funny little incident when you hit that pole rolling her back in the "hangar".
to remove ads between posts
Sep 27, 2019, 02:15 PM
Thread OP
Haha yeah I forgot that they had put those poles there for running noise machines.
Sep 27, 2019, 02:38 PM
very nice flight! and good to see a sturdy gear with that landing. makes me feel more confident about my landing skills on our field haha!

okay. i think i leave the mating faces as they are. I notices the fuse and nacelle have aligh ment holes (round ones. what is used to alight? just normal round pegs).
And i found a file called fuse 08 tabs. are these tabs to be used to align all the fuse parts or only for the rear most fuse part??

its a wel documented build but those are the things i think im looking over and simply miss haha.
Sep 27, 2019, 02:46 PM
Thread OP
The tabs are just for the cone on the rear of fuse08. I use 4 mm bamboo rods to align the fuselage pieces. You can use anything. The only place that needs carbon is the triangle under the fuselage between the landing gear. That should have a 4x540mm carbon tube going all the way back through Fuselage05 and slot into the end of Fuselage03.
Sep 27, 2019, 02:47 PM
Thread OP
I added a new exhaust cone now by request for rear mounting small turbines. It has slots in the sides for 6 mm or 1/4" plywood mounting rails. These slots are the right angle to compensate for the thrust line. A turbine model probably needs extra nose weight.
Sep 27, 2019, 04:46 PM
Thread OP
I'm rewatching the video. It's insane how easily it climbs to crazy altitude. I'm pretty sure it's faster than the EL-39.
Sep 29, 2019, 11:54 AM
Thread OP
I added a pilot stand for pilot busts that clips onto the battery tray sides now.
Sep 29, 2019, 03:18 PM
Thread OP
I printed an RAF pilot bust in 1:4,5 scale.
Sep 29, 2019, 05:39 PM
Plane crazy
That pilot is really cool!
Sep 30, 2019, 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartago
That pilot is really cool!
indeed!
Sep 30, 2019, 02:42 AM
Ive been making a summary for myself with some of the info you posted here.
obviously there were some alterations between the different versions you made. and one thing i noticed the most was the CG that has been improved.

first there was 45g nose weight, then a moving nosewheel weight and then the repositioned edf.

the nosewheel weight is that still in place?? and was that all you did to balance it now with the last version you build. no other added masses or anything ( i know playing with the electronics helps ofc.) im finding new stuff everytime i read thru here. so much went into this i blows my mind
the impeller with the files is that the original impeller or has it been changed to the EL39 one (otherwise i need to print the EL39 one and discard the current one i printed)
Last edited by AeroTechNL; Sep 30, 2019 at 02:59 AM.
Sep 30, 2019, 08:11 AM
Thread OP
There is only one version on Cults, which is the latest version.

The only nose weight I have is a ~75 g brass slug on the actuatur screw on the nose gear, which makes it move the opposite way of the landing gear. It's not enough to offset the full weight of the gear though. The batteries are as far forward as they go on the battery tray, butting against the nose gear well.

I'm using the EL-39 impeller now. I don't notice the difference, it's been a while since I last flew with the other impeller, but there was probably more thrust with the old impeller. They are identical except for the pitch. One is taller than the other on the bed. EL-39 has lower pitch. I think it would fly fine with the more scale "turbine" intake too, but I can't be bothered to print a new nacelle to test that.

I bought the pilot figure from this guy a while back. He does outstanding work:
https://www.cgtrader.com/maxgrueter
Sep 30, 2019, 10:49 AM
RFC Cadet
Here what the pilot bust looks like when painted. The pilot 3D model is a full body but can be sliced anywhere before printing.
Sep 30, 2019, 01:56 PM
Thread OP
Yes I just lowered the body into the bed in the slicer and angled him appropriately and printed. That technique works with many things and is also a way to print parts in multiple pieces if the printer is too short for example.
Oct 01, 2019, 04:37 AM
That 3d printed pilot looks really great once painted!

Quick Reply