Aug 23, 2019, 11:03 AM
I have the same filament. It's really easy to print, especially with bowden printers.
1 perimeter and 7% infill...hmm. Sounds like a very light wheel, and since it's used on retractable landing gears, deformation isn't a problem as you said.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2019, 12:18 PM
Thread OP
It saves 140 g from the plane, behind the CG, so it's a useful weight saving.
Aug 23, 2019, 12:29 PM
Absolutely!

BTW: I'm just printing the impeller housing for the EL-39 again. I want to test it with this stuff due to better heat resistance:
https://www.3djake.com/3djake/niceabs-white

So far no warping, even on my open printer.
Aug 23, 2019, 12:33 PM
Thread OP
Interesting. I've been looking for something that prints in my open printers and can handlehigher temp. ABS is lighter than PLA too but usually weaker.
Aug 23, 2019, 12:57 PM
Yes, I havn't tested it for single wall parts yet. And I have also no idea, if the layer adhesion will be sufficient even on a parts like the housing which has quite thick walls.
Tomorrow morning I will know more.
Aug 23, 2019, 12:59 PM
Thread OP
I bought some "high temp" PLA a few weeks ago. It's the worst crap I've ever tried. It's not even high temp. It warps like ABS, Can be squeezed out the nozzle at 90C and is as weak as a napkin.
Aug 23, 2019, 01:11 PM
I never heard or read anything good about those high temp PLAs.
Most people reported about the same as you.
Aug 23, 2019, 01:55 PM
Thread OP
I will try printing a tire with 0% infill after the second tire is done. Maybe it will hold air or I can insert foam.
Aug 23, 2019, 02:57 PM
So...maybe I should wait until the 3d printed material evolves more? Would hate to create my dream jet that no other foamy company would even b interested in and have it melt like the witch of oz before my very eyes
Aug 23, 2019, 02:59 PM
Ok, ne need to wait till tomorrow. The part lifted off the bed at one spot. I guess it was due to not accurate bed leveling.
This material is nothing for thin wall prints. The support tube on the inside of the housing is printed with two perimeters. The layers could be ripped appart with two fingers, the layer adhesion isn't strong enough.

The thicker walls on the outside and the stators are quite rigid though.
I will try it again with a better leveled bed and a brim the next few days.
Aug 23, 2019, 04:55 PM
world's slowest builder
I print exclusively in PET-G and I really like it. slightly higher melt than PLA, minimal effects from moisture, and just the right flexibility and impact resistance with minimal warping in an open printer.

Paint the plane a light color and you will probably be fine even in hot sun. Any dark colored foam planes get damaged by the hot sun too if they are the wrong color. Don't leave it in a attic or super hot car interior for too long.

You can also print with Polycarbonates for more temp resistance, but you have to keep the filament very dry.
Last edited by Air-Jon; Aug 23, 2019 at 05:11 PM.
Aug 23, 2019, 05:13 PM
Thread OP
I bring a parasol on hot days just in case. It's not a problem when it's flying, just when parked. The flat dark colors don't help.
Aug 23, 2019, 05:50 PM
Thread OP
Printing hollow things always looks strange when it builds up.
Aug 24, 2019, 09:17 AM
Plane crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman
I bring a parasol on hot days just in case. It's not a problem when it's flying, just when parked. The flat dark colors don't help.
So nice!
Aug 26, 2019, 12:50 PM
Thread OP
The 0% tire printed just fine. Some blistering on the top, which was expected. It wasn't much lighter though at 37 g, so I'm not going to bother with it as it will need foam inside to support the plane.

As the printer was working so well with TPU I printed tires for one of my RC cars too:
MK Ultra Porsche 959 with 3D printed wheels and tires (1 min 24 sec)

Quick Reply