to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2018, 06:36 PM
One more for my collection.
Aug 17, 2018, 12:37 PM
Thread OP
I ordered a 1:32 scale model of the He-162 with a cockpit kit to hae something to look at. I'm a little tired of CAD work now though so I need a break. It's getting darker here so I won't be able to test a new complicated design until spring 2019 anyway. It would be easier to just knock out a sports model.
Aug 23, 2018, 04:51 PM
Thread OP
I'm a litte tired of fighter jets so I started on something different for a change of scenery. You can follow my new project here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...er-CAD-project
Apr 08, 2019, 06:04 PM
Thread OP
Back to the HE-162 now. I compared it to my Revell 1:32 kit and made small changes to the canopy and canopy frame. It's very close now. I also made the wingtips and altered the center fuselage section where the doors will be so that the door hinge line is straight.

We might be getting a local field this year and taht will boost my efforts greatly as I don't have to drive for 70 minutes on bad roads to fly-
Apr 09, 2019, 08:36 AM
Thread OP
Ailerons and flaps done for the most part. Next up is wing fillet.
Apr 09, 2019, 09:21 AM
SJ
SJ
niiiice :-)
Apr 09, 2019, 10:54 AM
Intersting project I have 2 of the rascals under construction. Well actually only half constructed There is a seeming Lot of info on the Net on these. Although I early on discovered that Much of it is simply inaccurate.. surprised by that.
I too resorted to a Model as nothing else proved genuinely reliable. I chose a Tamiya 1:48 as it is The most accurate.. by a large margin imo. Seems most of the inaccuracies are in the Fuse Thickness / ovality and 'flatness towards the point. Also the 162 has the typ/ traditional triangular WW2 German fuse cross section, Not all of it but it's there. Canopies are often wrong as well not all of them but many.
Critical element is the Size of the BMW's inlet.. real life those were ~45 cm.
BMWs had an internalised divergent (internally expanding) intake.. emulate if IF you must
Oversized inlets immediately make a model seem toylike.
This site has Good reference pix
http://memorial.flight.free.fr/He162uk.html
Apr 09, 2019, 11:05 AM
Thread OP
I have a lot of reference photos and books.

It's a challenging plane to design because of the thrust line. A full size plane is trimmed at cruise and not flown like a model which has constant throttle modulation. I am trying to get it to fly predictably as a model.

The inlet of my design has a 104 mm inside diameter. The Revell model I have is 1:32 inside the inlet which is 79 mm at the scale of my design. That's too small so it's out of the question. Some compromises have to be made. That's just the reality of modeling. You like to tell people what they're doing wrong, but this isn't a display model.
Last edited by Lynxman; Apr 09, 2019 at 02:08 PM.
Apr 10, 2019, 07:33 AM
nice to see you back to this project i cant wait to print this one i am very interested to see how you will make the retracts !
Apr 10, 2019, 10:47 AM
Lithium Member
Nice project !

I've flown the FVK fully molded one with a MiniFan setup and it was a pleasure to fly, very fast too :

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-by-FVK&pp=100

I did have to watch out for some peculiarities of the design, the most important one is NOT to have the edf exhaust blow on the horiz. stabilizer as it induces significant trim changes. After fixing that, it flew very well.

The high thrust line is only a problem when you fly really slow, and apply full power - then it does pitch down significantly. At speed it flies nice and straight.
Apr 10, 2019, 11:05 AM
Thread OP
Nice. Thanks for those.
The thrust line on mine is angled up 1 so I hope that eliminates most of the bad behaviour. You can see the thrust line in these images. I also changed the horizontal stab to 0 and changed the wing profile to a semi symmetricla profile instead of the fully symmetrical of the original.

I would like to create custom retracts powered by 6 mm lead screws and JP actuators, but I might go for standard retracts. I want to make the suspension struts from carbon fiber tubes and incorporate oil shocks inside them, though I might just turn some aluminum legs in my lathe.
Apr 10, 2019, 12:51 PM
Pro Hoarder
The shape is looking good so far...Good part with 3D print is if something doesn't work out just print a new design and move on
Latest blog entry: In flight
Apr 10, 2019, 02:19 PM
Thread OP
Tail hinges are made. This thing is going to be complicated to print because of the hinges having so many steps causing overhang.

Quick Reply