Dec 19, 2004, 10:55 AM
Thread OP

Wing folded on my E-Starter

Yesterday was the 5th flight of my E-starter, after doing a nice loop I dove the plane down at about a 60 degree angle. When I went to pull up the wing folded and my E-Starter died a miserable death.

I should mention I installed a Himaxx 2025-4200 and everything went great for the 1st pack (3 Cell TP2100). The plane flew much better with the brushless setup. Half way through the 2nd pack is when the wing folded.

Upon inspection of the plane wreckage I was able to see the wing spar had snaped in the middle. When I built the plane I beefed up the tail section with popsicle sticks and carbon fiber tape. Note: The tail is still in prestine condition. I wish I had insatlled a carbon fiber rod for the wing spar instead of using the stock bamboo one.

Oh well, its a 40 dollar plane and all my electronics and motor are fine, except the drive gear. I may build another one or upgrade to the Ultrfly Cessna.

My suggestion to anyone building the E-starter, strengthen the wing & tail. It's a great flyer.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2004, 06:17 PM
Random Flier
Did the wing struts give way too?

I used wire for my wing struts. Same motor set up, C gearing, TP2100 battery, extended ailerons, great fun; never any wing folding! Although I did pull the strut mount out of the wing once (repaired it with epoxy).
Dec 19, 2004, 06:35 PM
Got shenpa?
Roxxstar, sorry to hear you lost your E-Starter. It is a nice little plane, and I am very fond of mine.

You must have pulled quite a few G's! I did not use the wing struts on my E-Starter, and loop it routinely, with no damage (so far!).

-Flieslikeabeagle
Dec 19, 2004, 09:33 PM
Thread OP
I had the wing struts on, one was still attached to the plane and wing when I picked it up the other was attached to the wing so I'm guessing it detached on inpact.

I was obvously pushing it a little too hard (full throttle at a 60 degree angle and full up elevator), but I loved this plane with the brushless.

I went to the LHS tonight to get a price for a replacement wing. 15 bucks, the owner said he sell me a whole new kit for 28 bucks. So I bought it on the spot. Way cool!!! Major kudos the Hobby Town!

So I'll start the build tomorrow. This time in additon to the cabon fiber tape between the two halves and popsicle sticks in the tail; I'll use a longer carbon fiber rod for the spar and tape the wing with clear packing tape.

I like the ISVANA's suggestion of wire struts, I'll use that one too.

Any other suggestions???
Dec 19, 2004, 10:35 PM
If I remember correctly the supplied wing spar is a fiberglass one. The bamboo sticks were for the optional rubberband wing mounting method
Dec 19, 2004, 11:05 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Here's a suggestion, replace it with a Formosa instead of an E-Starter. With your setup I think you may like it better and it will handle more stress then the e-starter.

Jim
Dec 19, 2004, 11:54 PM
Thread OP
Both kits that I recieved had a bamboo spar. A fiberglass spar would be just fine with me.

The formosa is definately a plane I'd like to get. Before I try low wing plane again (tried the PC9, not a good maiden. Repaired and waiting for my flying skills to increase) I want to get a real good at handing the high wing trainer. This was my 5th flight with ailerons. I couldn't pass up a plane for 28 dollars.

I'm hoping to be able to build/fly either a GWS or Alfa warbird by spring.
Dec 20, 2004, 12:33 AM
n00b
Curious how your lipo did on crash?
Dec 20, 2004, 10:51 AM
Thread OP
The lipo was completely unharmed. The front of the plane was crushed all the way back to the battery bay. The seams around the battery bay were joined with carbon fiber tape. I didn't use the CF tape on the front of the plane (I'm not sure it would have helped) but I will on this next build.

Quick Reply