Mac Hodges Makes Forced Landing

Mac Hodges is very well known to anyone that has attended SEFF or been to his RC flying field. On his way home from Oshkosh he had to land in a farmer's field!

Splash

Mac Hodges Had Engine Trouble

Reprinted with permission from News-gazette.com...

Mac Hodges, 73, of Andersonville, Ga., was flying his biplane home from a show in Oshkosh, Wis., when he said he experienced an oil-line break over East Central Illinois late Friday morning.

"My plane was built in Broadhead, Wisconsin, by a dentist who retired from dentistry in 2010 and passed away in 2011," Hodges said. "The plane was completed in 2004, but the engine is from the late 1930s or early 1940s. I've had the plane for about three years.

"After leaving Oshkosh, I had made two fuel stops: one in Poplar Grove, Illinois, and one in Rantoul. It was a beautiful day, and I remember flying over Champaign-Urbana. Shortly thereafter, I happened to look down, and I saw the oil pressure going down rapidly. I knew the engine wouldn't run very much longer."

Hodges searched the countryside for a location to make an emergency landing.

"I was very fortunate to be over some very beautiful, flat Illinois farmland," he said. "I looked around for a flat country road where there were no power lines, and I landed on a road into the wind."

More Info

To read the full story and see photos click here to go to News-gazette.com.

Aug 06, 2018, 03:14 PM
Bombs away! Err...landing
"He had to land in a farmer's field"....."and I landed on a road into the wind"

Aug 06, 2018, 03:15 PM
That’s some of that karma from being such a great host at SEFF!

L.
Aug 06, 2018, 04:51 PM
Admin Deluxe
Maybe he landed on a road in the field.
Aug 08, 2018, 09:28 AM
already ruff, trying for ready
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira NZ
"He had to land in a farmer's field"....."and I landed on a road into the wind".
I too am shocked that flat, straight roads are near flat, rectangular fields.
Aug 09, 2018, 09:01 AM
100% electric since 1990
It looks like a Fleet biplane, but I'm not great at identifying 1930's civilian planes.
Aug 11, 2018, 09:23 AM
Culper Junior
It happens.
Aug 11, 2018, 08:58 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Pete Waters (former owner of Kraft Midwest) has him beat. One forced landing on I-275, just a couple of miles from his home airport. And one in the infield of Northville Downs harness racing track. Survived both, but the race track landing broke the plane.

- Roger
Aug 12, 2018, 06:26 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
Quote:
Originally Posted by twest
It looks like a Fleet biplane, but I'm not great at identifying 1930's civilian planes.
I'll say.!....A Fleet had a Radial Kinner, and 'Bi' wings...
The engine looks like Flathead Franklin, and the Airplane is possibly a Homebuilt ?
Latest blog entry: Ban Birds.
Aug 12, 2018, 06:26 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim t. Graham
maybe he landed on a road in the field.
aha !
Latest blog entry: Ban Birds.
Aug 13, 2018, 07:44 PM
the smell of nitro in the morn
Or a field in the middle of the road!
Aug 14, 2018, 01:07 AM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. Graham
Maybe he landed on a road in the field.
There are no roads in fields. Only roads between two fields.
Aug 14, 2018, 05:55 AM
the smell of nitro in the morn
Oh boy!
Aug 14, 2018, 07:15 AM
100% electric since 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl
I'll say.!....A Fleet had a Radial Kinner, and 'Bi' wings...
The engine looks like Flathead Franklin, and the Airplane is possibly a Homebuilt ?
The aircraft in the linked article, the one he force landed, was not the same plane at the top of this page...
Aug 14, 2018, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira NZ
There are no roads in fields. Only roads between two fields.
Depends on if you're the farmer or in the road crew.

There are roads which are paved, roads which are gravel, and gravel or mud access trails for tractors. The first two typically define the edges fields. The third runs through a field. The first two are usually on 1- or 2-mile intervals, and the third is anywhere along the mile(s).

The first two might have telephone or power poles beside them, the third usually does not.

All three are easily able to serve as runways.

Andy

Quick Reply