Aug 06, 2018, 10:07 AM
Discussion

help page

hi there i am new to this hobby and need a place to get help.
i have got very basic electronics and was wandering if there is a way to program it from a pc as it has no computer?(its an esky 4 ch)
And does anyone know a 1 servo aileron setup for the ft tiny trainer?
thx

this is a general foamie help page so feel free to ask questions.
Last edited by Loltime; Aug 06, 2018 at 10:08 AM. Reason: correction
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2018, 10:38 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loltime
hi there i am new to this hobby and need a place to get help.
i have got very basic electronics and was wandering if there is a way to program it from a pc as it has no computer?(its an esky 4 ch)
And does anyone know a 1 servo aileron setup for the ft tiny trainer?
thx

this is a general foamie help page so feel free to ask questions.
Doesn't your 4 channel Esky have servo reversing tabs on the front ? What additional programming do you want to do ?

To operate two ailerons with one servo on an FT TT you can use an aileron linkage set up like this one : https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...YaAjjaEALw_wcB
but it is unknown if that set up can be made to fit in a TT ..... for best results , I recommend building planes as designed ( two aileron servos in the case of the FT TT ) .
Aug 06, 2018, 12:29 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
If you have two servos available for the ailerons, you can use a 'Y' extension lead, so that both servos connect to the aileron position on the receiver.

Aug 06, 2018, 03:58 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
The Y servo lead is a good idea,
Do you have soldering capability?
If so you can make your own Y lead setup. Exact length and reliable.
If no, then acquire the equipment and skill. you'll need it.
Aug 07, 2018, 04:23 AM
thanks for the replies.
my tx does have reversing switches and i want to try and use it for things like mixing or exponential.
and i will try using the first method.
and yes i can solder things.
Aug 07, 2018, 06:51 AM
also i just bought a lipoly battery and it is 3.7v and 750 mah and ive got some wire extensions but they are quite thin (0.3mm or 0.4mm) so i dont know if they will burn out or not. if anyone knows then please tell me. or if there is a way to check it or test it.
Aug 07, 2018, 07:18 AM
flyin' fool
Your radio has servo reversing only, no other features as it's not programmable.

Where were you planning on using extensions?
Aug 07, 2018, 08:07 AM
as an adapter for the glider.
it is a one cell lipo.
and i read somewhere that you dont need to worry about one cell battery short circuiting, is this true?
and is it possible to add a module that allows programming?
Aug 07, 2018, 08:28 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Loltime, your radio has, as noted above, no capability to be programmed other than by the reversing switches and trim sliders. That's it.
But for simple, trainer type planes, that's all you need.
Aug 07, 2018, 09:18 AM
treefinder
Not sure what you intend the 1 cell Lipo for. Most all receivers and servos need 5 volts to function correctly. You get that from the BEC circuit of your ESC or if using the plane as an empowered glider, from a separate BEC component. If you have a 2 cell pack the BEC drops voltage to 5 for RX and servos.

You can do a single servo aileron setup, by positioning the single servo on centerline and forward on wing so the two control rode form about a 90 degree angle. This allows a straight double ended horn on servo, and adds some aileron differential (useful for high wing planes to avoid adverse use on turning). You will need to mount servo on top of wing for that geometry to work right, though. This post shows one solution:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=20538
Last edited by springer; Aug 07, 2018 at 09:26 AM.
Aug 07, 2018, 09:38 AM
treefinder
While whiskers is exactly right that for basic planes, the old style non computer radios are fine. You can do most anything you need with plane setup (servo orientation, Y cables, etc) like we all did back in the day. However, if you are on a budget but want to try a computer radio, the flysky fs-i6 is a good one. 6 channels, pretty easy programming, works with both the afhds2 and afhds2a protocols. (Your ersky radio might be the afhds2, though you would have to do some research on that. It would mean you could reuse your receiver. But the i6 comes with a good receiver too. https://m.banggood.com/FlySky-FS-i6-...l?rmmds=search
Aug 07, 2018, 10:19 AM
thanks for your help, i might buy the fs-i6 it seems pretty good.

and im using a y connector with the batteries to get it up to 7.2v and to balance the plane.
and it will give 1500mah but i dont know much about short circuiting so if someone could explain it and is a 0.4 mm wire alright for having 7.2volts running through it safely.
Aug 07, 2018, 11:51 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loltime
thanks for your help, i might buy the fs-i6 it seems pretty good.

and im using a y connector with the batteries to get it up to 7.2v and to balance the plane.
and it will give 1500mah but i dont know much about short circuiting so if someone could explain it and is a 0.4 mm wire alright for having 7.2volts running through it safely.
Connecting two identical batteries in series will double the voltage but will NOT double the mAh .
Connecting two identical batteries in parallel will double the mAh but will NOT double the voltage .

2 X 3.7v = 7.4v ...... not 7.2v .
A fully charged lipo battery is 4.2v per cell , so two 4.2v batteries connected in series will be 8.4v ..... too much voltage for most common servos .

The thickness ( gauge ) of the wire needs to be appropriate for the AMPS running through it , not the voltage .
Do you already have a motor ? If so , find out what the max AMP draw of the motor is . Then the ESC , battery , and their wires need to be able to deliver the AMPS . If the ESC is a suitable match to the motor's AMP draw , then the wires on the ESC ( that connect to the battery ) should be the appropriate gauge ...... and you should match the battery's leads to that gauge .
Aug 07, 2018, 12:16 PM
treefinder
I am a bit concerned about your y cable the batteries. You can y two servos because they both get the same signal, but cause different motions based on how they are located on the wing, but you don't Y batteries. Like BoC said you either set them up in parallel or series. You need series to get your "pack" to a voltage that an ESC can use. Perhaps one of us can find one of the pics that shows correct setup of Lipo, esc, RX, servos for your use. It will be a whole lot easier to just get a 2 cell pack with correct connectors already in place. Much less chance of misconnection!
Aug 07, 2018, 02:03 PM
do you have any ideas on how to get a parallel battery circuit

Quick Reply