Mar 12, 2019, 08:41 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
what software is ending the support?
and I tend to agree as that was my thought sort of, that its not too crazy a price given its able to fly pretty much right of the box and of decent quality and for me, no build time, that's why I picked one up
you mention its not able to carry an HD camera, do you mean that a cam like the CADDX Turtle couldn't get hooked up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDignition
They just did a big write up for this in Model Airplane News. so I doubt it is going to be killed off for cheep already. and just because some software may be ending support, does not mean it wont work now and continue to in the future.. its a $329 drone all ready to go..Id call they pretty cheap. The Exhaust alone for my DA200 cost almost $900 lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
The other fundamental flaw is that it can't carry an HD camera.

There are better ready-built quads out there for a lot less money e.g.

https://rotorriot.com/products/hawk-...-drone-5?aff=3

https://www.getfpv.com/diatone-gt-m5...drone-pnp.html

Even a real top-end quad like the Kopis 2 (with F7 board) costs less:

https://www.getfpv.com/holybro-kopis...drone-bnf.html
yep, probably is a bit of both... and I love the idea of the same quad $100 cheaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCC
Maybe both... It's far too expensive compared to other offerings right now, needs about a $100 price drop. The fact that it can't carry a camera due to its body design is also a major letdown.

It's a fair point -- even if it's an F3 board, it's been properly tuned and setup.

However, you can find quads with up to date hardware tuned excellently as well for less. With US based support/help as well.

Why pay more for less? Unless someone is specifically a fan of Horizon Hobby and wants to stay with their products only as a personal preference, I don't see the benefit of choosing it over the other options in the market today.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2019, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffDaddy
what software is ending the support?

you mention its not able to carry an HD camera, do you mean that a cam like the CADDX Turtle couldn't get hooked up?
Betaflight are stopping new releases for F3 boards. So new features/improvements/etc. will only be available on F4 and above. Some features have actually already been removed from F3 builds, like GPS support for example.

If you can fit an extra board into the quad then a Caddx Turtle/Runcam Split/Foxeer Mix would be fine. If you can't then you're stuck - you can't strap a GoPro/Mobius/Foxeer/Gitup/etc. on the top, due to the design.
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Mar 13, 2019, 09:14 AM
Prefectionist
Not everybody wants or cares about strapping an HD camera onto their racing drone.

Nobody else sells a Spektrum compatible racer that is guanteed to work for Spektrum telemetry, spektrum VTX control etc.

I purchased one (used) because of these features.

Sure it's a bummer that it's not an F4 based board, but a tuned F3 is still very good and this has been tuned by Horizon out of the box.
Mar 13, 2019, 01:04 PM
I think this does make more sense as a used buy, if you can get one for a good price and won't ever want to record HD video. Otherwise a better/cheaper option is probably a PNF version of the other pre-built quads ... just add a Spektrum receiver. Tuning is much less important nowadays - using a current version of Betaflight most standard quads will fly really well on the default settings.

I suspect folks would be less critical of this quad if it didn't have that "Pro" tag (and sold for less). Compare it with the Kopis 2 that I mentioned before:

https://rotorriot.com/products/holyb...-drone-5?aff=3

F7 flight controller, BLHeli_32 35A ESCs, TMotor Pro series motors, etc.
Mar 13, 2019, 06:39 PM
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
Using a current version of Betaflight most standard quads will fly really well on the default settings.
Very true! I'm using an F4 flight controller with a Bostch gyro for my 220mm build (average size) and the default settings were perfect on Betaflight 3.5.6. Literally there was honestly nothing I could find to tune beyond setting what kind of rates I wanted.

I remember back when Blade released the Vortex 250 Pro with ImmersionRC and it had like 5 different "Pro Tunes" from famous FPV pilots back then. Then they just did away with all of that later on as Betaflight keeps getting better and better.

Definitely agree that getting this one for the right price as a used deal would be nice.

Quote:
Not everybody wants or cares about strapping an HD camera onto their racing drone.
Not everyone does -- you're absolutely right. But we're all talking about why this thread has a lack of activity compared to the other models available on the market today. It's definitely a reason amongst many that people would mark this off their list.
Mar 14, 2019, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCC
Very true! I'm using an F4 flight controller with a Bostch gyro for my 220mm build (average size) and the default settings were perfect on Betaflight 3.5.6. Literally there was honestly nothing I could find to tune beyond setting what kind of rates I wanted.

I remember back when Blade released the Vortex 250 Pro with ImmersionRC and it had like 5 different "Pro Tunes" from famous FPV pilots back then. Then they just did away with all of that later on as Betaflight keeps getting better and better.
Yup I currently have BF 3.5.5 and 3.5.6 on:

65mm brushed Whoop x 2
76mm brushless Whoop
130mm quad (3")
180mm quad (4")
210 and 218mm quads (5")

Even the little Whoops fly well on the stock BF settings, which is quite amazing really. And no doubt BF 4.0 will be even better.

Quick Reply