Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Blade Scimitar 215 Pro BNF Basic 5" FPV Racer Review

Check out our review of the new Blade Scimitar 215 Pro 5" FPV Drone Racer.

Splash

Introduction

Completion Level: Bind N Fly (BNF)
Flying Weight: 492g
Frame: Carbon Fiber
Motors: 2206 2450KV
Props: 5" 3-blade
Battery: 4S 1300mAH (Not Included)
Available at: Horizon Hobby
Price: $329.99

The Blade Scimitar 215 Pro is a serious FPV racing and freestyle drone that is made for pilots who'd rather fly than spend time building and tuning. It comes pre-built and pre-tuned so all you have to do is throw on the props and antenna tubes, secure your battery and hit the field flying. It has some great electronics inside and they are protected by a resilient pod with a cool carbon fiber look. Just from the photos, you know it's going to be fast and able to rip up your local racing track or freestyle spot. I can't wait to get flying so let's open up the box and take a look inside.

What's in the Box

• Fully assembled Scimitar 215 Pro with all electronics installed
  • Manual
  • Four 3-blade 5" props
  • Antenna Tubes
  • Velcro and Double Sticky Tape
  • 2 Allen Wrenches and a small Phillips Screwdriver

Features

• 5" propellers
  • Pre-built and Professionally Tuned
  • F3 Flight Controller: Betaflight & Betaflight OSD
  • 20A ESCs: BLHeli-S & DShot 600 compatible
  • 2206-2450Kv Motors
  • Video transmitter: 25/200/600mW 32 channel, variable power, and Spektrum TX control
  • Camera: Runcam Swift 2 Team Spektrum Edition camera with 2.3mm lens
  • Durable carbon fiber frame with replaceable 4mm thick arms
  • Injection molded plastic pod: Covers all vital components
  • Spektrum Telemetry RX: Provides valuable flight data and allows for forward programming of VTX and FC

Assembly

What assembly? LOL, this thing is already built, programmed and tuned right out of the box. OK, you do have a couple of things to do like install the props and antenna tubes, but that's it for the assembly. The only other thing you'd need to do before flying is charge your batteries and bind the Scimitar to your radio. Do make sure you read the manual first and set your radio up per the book so your switches and control throws match what they say to use.

Before heading to the field though, make sure you have the video transmitter set up like you want. It has selectable power options from 25,200 or 600mw. Changing the power setting, channel band and frequency is quick and easy using the two buttons on the top of the drone. There is a hole in the canopy that lets you see the LED lights on the vtx used to indicate the power and channel selections. Keep the manual nearby and handy in case you need to make a change at the field.

Flying

This thing tics all the right boxes to fly well. Big motors, 4S power system with the right electronics and yes it performs like a high end racer should. It has incredible power and blasts up like a rocket when you punch the throttle. Controlling that power is the trick and the team that tuned the Scimitar 215 did an amazing job. On the first flight it felt locked in and solid right from the start. It sounds smooth and it just felt right while flying. It's hard to describe what that means, but maybe this will help. I was never much of a racer, I dabbled a bit in the beginning, but didn't want to invest my life in becoming a pro level racer. I fly these for fun and flying for 20 seconds and smacking into a race gate to end the flight didn't seem like much fun to me. That said, I didn't practice all that much on gates or super small gaps when flying fast drones. On my first flight with the Scimitar I was flying in and around some trees mainly going through large gaps and having fun trying some freestyle out. I saw two trees standing close together just a couple of feet apart in the goggles and somehow I just knew I could make it. I would have never attempted that in the past, but this drone got me in the zone and I didn't have to think about it, I just flew it right on in and through with no issues. That's the kind of tune you need to fly well.

It's all about the feel and the Scimitar 215 Pro did not disappoint. It's setup to do well in both freestyle and racing and to me, I wouldn't change a thing in how it is tuned. Now I realize that tuning can be personal and the great part is you can connect it to your PC and change up the parameters using Betaflight and tune it to your individual liking. For the guys who don't want to mess with that, there is no need to touch a thing, it rips right out of the box!

Flight Modes

There are 3 flight modes available and each are suited for different ways of flying depending on what you are trying to do.

Angle Mode

In Angle Mode, the drone has a bank angle limit of 60 degrees and it will self level when you release the sticks. This is great for learning, taking off, landing, or if something happens to your video feed and you want to keep it level to land safely without seeing it.

Air Mode

In Air Mode, there are no bank angle limits or self leveling. It's all on you to fly and it will be capable of aerobatics to your hearts content. When you decrease the throttle to idle the flight controller will still stabilize the drone in attitude, keeping it stable which is perfect for smooth flowing freestyle aerobatics. This is the mode I did most of my flying in.

Acro Mode

Acro Mode is just Air Mode, except for at low throttle, the flight controller does not stabilize the drone. The pilot has to actively fly and hold the desired attitude. This mode is better suited for racing.

Is this a Beginners Drone?

Nope! While yes a beginner could fly this in Angle Mode fairly safely, the power and performance is more suited to intermediate and expert pilots. It's really for pilots who want a high performance racing/freestyle drone without all the building and tuning hassles.

Durability

Any drone pilot who races or flys freestyle knows that you are going to crash. You'll hit the ground, trees, gates, poles, other drones and any number of obstacles. These are flown fast and low and are subjected to gnarly crashes all the time. With that in mind, yes I did crash and hit things during my time with the Scimitar 215 Pro. Not on purpose, these just naturally happened while flying and pushing my limits. One surprising thing that didn't happen in any of the crashes is that I didn't break a single prop!! I don't know how that happened, but these props are tough! I did bend some, but they bent right back into place and ran smooth again. I didn't break any arms, which I expected those to hold up well being so thick and made of strong carbon fiber. The only thing that did break the was the canopy. It cracked on either side of the camera, but it was still functional as a protective cover. Once it cracked I continued flying with it and crashed a couple times with no further damage or issues at all. It is tough and it will hold up well. Sure someone will break something at some point, but my experience and testing proves that it is well built for durability.

Video

Gallery

Final Thoughts

This thing is a beast. It's a well thought out design, but the best part is that the components and the feature set are top notch. Then add in the fact that it is expertly tuned, built and ready to go right out of the box and I have no choice but to give it two big thumbs up. Some guys may like spending hours building and tuning drones, but if you don't, the Scimitar 215 Pro is your drone. It's got power for days, plenty of user friendly features from the power selectable vtx to the adjustable camera angle and durable design.

There's not a thing I would change and the only thing I would have wanted different was just more instructions in the manual. The manual is great for getting you started with the basic radio setup and video transmitter settings, but it doesn't go over the more advanced features like the forward programming of the video transmitter and flight controller. It would have been nice for those instructions to be included in the manual.

Links

You can find the Blade Scimitar 215 Pro BNF Basic 5" FPV Racer at Horizon Hobby

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Sep 09, 2018, 06:15 PM
Hahaha, so they've finally given up on putting ec3 connectors on their products
Sep 10, 2018, 05:32 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Jason - so that Canopy is just injection molded plastic with fake carbon hydrographics? How much are those replacement canopies... they are going to sell those by the gross. They need to rethink that part and make it 3D printed PUR or make it out of Nylon.
Sep 10, 2018, 07:11 AM
RCG Admin
Yep. They are $19.99. Maybe someone will create a model of it that can be printed. That would be pretty cool.
Sep 11, 2018, 09:36 AM
Hard to justify the "Pro" naming and description ("a serious FPV racing and freestyle drone") when this only has an F3 flight controller in it.

Betaflight started dropping features from F3 targets (because of the limited memory) a while back ... IMHO it won't be too long before they become unsupported (as happened with F1 boards).

I would expect any new 'serious' quad to have an F4 at least. Those have been pretty standard for for some time now.
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Sep 11, 2018, 11:05 AM
liquid_courage
Is there mounting options for an action cam?
Sep 11, 2018, 12:26 PM
RCG Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidcourage
Is there mounting options for an action cam?
No provisions for it
Sep 13, 2018, 12:06 AM
I kill batteries!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
Hard to justify the "Pro" naming and description ("a serious FPV racing and freestyle drone") when this only has an F3 flight controller in it.

Betaflight started dropping features from F3 targets (because of the limited memory) a while back ... IMHO it won't be too long before they become unsupported (as happened with F1 boards).

I would expect any new 'serious' quad to have an F4 at least. Those have been pretty standard for for some time now.
Agreed! Also, the emaxx hawk 5 comes in cheaper than this and has better hardware (f4 fc for example).
Sep 13, 2018, 09:06 AM
Also ... I'm sure they work OK with the supplied props, but 20A ESCs look a bit marginal for those motors on 4S. 25-30A would be better IMHO, and BLHeli_32 / Dshot 1200 would have been nice on a 'pro' quad.
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review

Quick Reply