One year of DLG

Today makes one year of flying DLGs for me. I started with an awesome Go Mini built by Thomas at Armsoar and have been teaching myself along the way.

Splash

One Year of DLG

Today makes one year of flying DLGs for me. I started with an awesome Go Mini built by Thomas at Armsoar and have been teaching myself along the way. I had only been flying RC planes for about a month when I got the Go Mini, so I kind of had my hands full to start but it was a great plane to start with.

DLGs were why I got into RC flying in the first place --- I like all things aviation, and have fun w/ the powered planes and quads -- but DLG was what drew me in. I've actually been looking at them off an on for a long time... back to when gyros were being rigged to the rudder for launch... but for whatever reason never took the plunge back then.

So, in the past year, I've:

• Had a bear join me at the flying field (I graciously let him have it to himself the rest of the day)
  • forgot to release the launch button and loop the go mini over my head and into a pine tree (it came down unscathed)
  • specked out a couple of times
  • cracked the nose with my patented "stall approach" -- I wanted to practice repairs anyway
  • won an AULD against a UMX timber (it's possible the UMX pilot didn't know it was a competition)
  • discovered that this is a ton of fun even if I can't speck out every time or launch 70m

There's plenty to still learn, I feel like I'm only just getting a feel for reading air and tuning the plane. I still haven't tried a quick turnaround launch -- put that on the list for goals next year. Also, though there are definitely some TD glider drivers around my area, I've still yet to meet or see another DLG pilot, so it would be good to fly with some others some time or maybe see if I can get to event (not much seems to be up in the northeast unfortunately)

Most of my posts are in the go mini or revolution thread, but I've lurked most all the threads. So for any of you folks that have posted stories, launch videos, build threads, and model reviews, it's a pretty safe bet you've taught me something along the way -- thanks!

And what better way to celebrate one year of flying than maidening a new plane -- I just finished up my Revolution and had a perfect day for a maiden.

Revolution DLG (1 min 43 sec)

Last edited by cjpace; Aug 05, 2018 at 04:54 PM..
Aug 05, 2018, 10:51 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Bit of a long drive, but you might consider going to the BASS contest if you want to see some other DLG action.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8-August-11-12
Aug 06, 2018, 02:28 PM
Come out swinging
Congrats. You look like you are controlling the model pretty well for such limited time on the sticks. Keep practicing the flying, and you will improve over time.

Based on the video you posted, even though its a maiden flight, it looks like you are over controlling the model. In general you'd want to fly a line at the best sink rate you can. Get the trim and CG set so that it flies hands free in dead air (no wind, early morning usually). You adjust the cruise camber and elevator trim to get that best glide with minimum sink. Once this is set, you can see when the glider enters rising air very easily, then start your turn.

I had a fellow DLG pilot tell me to keep flying straight (or in a single direction) until you find lift, then start turning. Never turn in sink.

When I'm practicing, I will fly through the lift, and come out the other side (starting to sink again), then turn 180 degrees and go back. This will help you mark the thermal's size and location. Sometimes turning too soon is bad as you are just on the edge. You want to find the area within the thermal that is strongest, then keep circling in that part.

As Pat mentions, if you can get to a contest like the BASS, you will see some things that will amaze you. You could probably progress you air reading skills by an order of magnitude from one contest vs. several years of flying alone.

Keep it up.

Sean
Aug 06, 2018, 03:45 PM
As suggested - I want to second it -“ come out to BASS “ this weekend.

Bass was my first DLG competition - I arrived at the field and flew he contest and Learned more that day than in 6 months flying alone. Everyone was extremely helpful and welcoming.

Join us this weekend !

Jack
Aug 06, 2018, 04:02 PM
Since it would be your first contest it’s even free! Come down and play.
Aug 06, 2018, 05:50 PM
Have I run into you at Davis Field in Sudbury? I don't remember doing so, but my forgettery is quite strong. I've been flying an Elf this year, until a couple of weeks ago when I elbowed the tail by accident. I have several DLG's and should fix them.

It's sad that the contests are so few and far away now. I remember going to one in Delaware a few years ago. My launches were MUCH better after participating in that contest. I think seeing someone doing it right and then trying it myself a few minutes later was very useful for my skills, though by now I'm a bit rusty. I'm afraid I'm not psyched for a trip to Baltimore.

DLG is my favorite sort of flying and probably will be as long as I can handle the launches.

If you want, keep pestering me and I may fix at least one of my dlg's* and we can fly them together. Probably not right away, though, as I really ought to fix up my other ALES plane for the contest in Hudson, NH this coming weekend. My Radian probably won't be competitive, though I did okay at the last one.

*All more or less obsolete.
Aug 06, 2018, 06:01 PM
thanks for the BASS invites --- crazily enough, I'm already going to be driving through MD the day before bring my oldest to school, but the timing won't quite work (the following weekend would have been perfect) otherwise I would at least come to watch some of it.

Sporter/Sean -- thanks for the close look at my flying. I noticed some of the same things... for the maiden I decided not to put in any expo and have full throws setup. With the soft hand tosses I started with, it didn't seem overly sensitive, but once it was flying faster I definitely was chasing the pitch control. I was slipping around the turns a bit too, so a bit more rudder and some fooling with differential is likely in order. I will keep in mind the tips about keeping it straight through sink.

Even in its untuned form, I can tell the Revolution is going to be quite a step up in soaring performance than the 1m go mini, so I'm excited to play w/ the 1.5m format.
Aug 06, 2018, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
Have I run into you at Davis Field in Sudbury? I don't remember doing so, but my forgettery is quite strong. I've been flying an Elf this year, until a couple of weeks ago when I elbowed the tail by accident. I have several DLG's and should fix them. .
Hi Lincoln...I don't think so.... I flown there a couple of times but it seems like theres always soccer games when I go... have been working around the cricket matches at the school street fields, plus some other smaller fields (the bear sighting was up in Carlisle), and have be scoping out some other locations. PM me when you've got the DLG fixed (I'll ping you too in case you forget)
Aug 06, 2018, 07:30 PM
Soccer games are over for the summer, though CRRC was flying there in the mornings before the games. I've also flown there some AFTER the soccer games, and even occasionally found lift. CRRC is a nice club and I recommend you join. We used to have more DLG fliers, but I don't see them all that often any more.

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/newsite/index.html
Aug 07, 2018, 10:52 PM
I'll second (or third or fourth) suggest hitting up a contest. They are lots of fun and you can learn a lot watching and timing for other pilots!
Aug 09, 2018, 03:29 PM
Doing awesome.. keep going..
Aug 10, 2018, 09:46 AM
plays with toy planes
Congrats and well done. Keep on keeping on!
Aug 15, 2018, 12:27 PM
Hey CJ,
Any chance you were flying at Great Brook in Carlisle? I live in Tyngsboro and take my dog there on occasion. I've got an Epee, Alula Trek, and recently bought a Radina DLG off of craigslist. I have very little time with DLG and have been looking for a place nearby to fly. I might go out this weekend if the weather cooperates, let me know if you're headed out.
Cheers!
Aug 15, 2018, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudvr
Hey CJ,
Any chance you were flying at Great Brook in Carlisle? I live in Tyngsboro and take my dog there on occasion. I've got an Epee, Alula Trek, and recently bought a Radina DLG off of craigslist. I have very little time with DLG and have been looking for a place nearby to fly. I might go out this weekend if the weather cooperates, let me know if you're headed out.
Cheers!
I've only been at great brook on xc skis, but i have thought about that as an option... they have a couple of out-of-the-way fields that might work. I won't be around this coming weekend but can PM you. The spot I had been to a few times in Carlisle was the Towle land, which is primarily some trails but has a large open field
Aug 31, 2018, 12:50 PM
beautiful, never stop, always glide well done mate..godspeed

Quick Reply