Aug 05, 2018, 03:20 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Thread OP
Discussion

Eclipson Model T (Prototype)

I've been fortunate enough to test a possible new plane from Eclipson, the Model T. It could have two configurations: A Tail Dragger & a Float Plane. I'm concentrating on the float plane part.

The first part was to make the floats water tight. So I used Rustoleum Clear LeakSeal.

Water Proofing 3D Printed Floats (1 min 16 sec)

That worked really well and didn't add a ton of weight. The water rudder is setup similar to how the E-Flight Timber is done, very simple and efficient.

I picked a horrible day to maiden it. It was very VERY windy. It even flipped my Timber over and in 3 years of flying on the water, I have never had the Timber flip over.

After re-watching the video, I think I needed some right rudder trim/right aileron trim? Maybe the torque of the motor caused the "left turning tendency" and I didn't react fast enough. I'll wait until it is calm.

Eclipson Model T First Attempt (0 min 59 sec)

No damage was done and it will fly again. While the floats didn't leak, the fuse and wings filled up with water like a scoop! Might need to seal some of the holes in the ailerons...

Ricky
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2018, 06:37 AM
I too am testing this plane. I'm glad to see the rudder works well, I had suggested using a setup like the flyzone beaver and that appears to be what it is.

Bummer about the rough water on the maiden.

I'm a little concerned about the float location in reference to the fuselage. Seems like the nose to too far forward or floats to far back for the trust point. Seems like it may want to pull the plane nose over if not careful.

I am still finishing my fuselage so I will look at it a bit more as I get closer to having it done.

Justin
Aug 07, 2018, 08:47 AM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSS10B
I too am testing this plane. I'm glad to see the rudder works well, I had suggested using a setup like the flyzone beaver and that appears to be what it is.

Bummer about the rough water on the maiden.

I'm a little concerned about the float location in reference to the fuselage. Seems like the nose to too far forward or floats to far back for the trust point. Seems like it may want to pull the plane nose over if not careful.

I am still finishing my fuselage so I will look at it a bit more as I get closer to having it done.

Justin
I was a bit worried about that too, but I think that the CG is low enough that it "shouldn't" nose over. When I hit the water like that I expected it to be floating nose down the entire way back to shore, but it didn't. It settled back on the floats and a few minutes later it drifted back to shore.

The floats on my Sig Kadet are much taller and positioned about the same way as the Eclipson and it noses over all the time. I need longer floats for it that stick out much farther than the nose of the plane.

JUSS10B, what are you using to seal up the floats?

Ricky
Aug 07, 2018, 08:59 AM
Good looking floats and frame, can you post weight and dimensions?

Itís really sad the accident but I think the problem is that the power plant need more power for this choppy conditions, itís clear some aileron was needed for torque effect but the tip took the water because the plane fall a little bit or did not keep climbing.

About the position, for me itís s look ok and it sail really well and never dip the nose in the water. Sure longer floats will be safer and easier for newbies but weight penalty could be important.

Keep your excellent work eclipsons!
Aug 07, 2018, 09:10 AM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajazo
Good looking floats and frame, can you post weight and dimensions?

It’s really sad the accident but I think the problem is that the power plant need more power for this choppy conditions, it’s clear some aileron was needed for torque effect but the tip took the water because the plane fall a little bit or did not keep climbing.

About the position, for me it’s s look ok and it sail really well and never dip the nose in the water. Sure longer floats will be safer and easier for newbies but weight penalty could be important.

Keep your excellent work eclipsons!
I just flew my "trimmed" Timber the flight before. Since this was the maiden of the Eclipson, I'm sure the trims are off. Watching the video again, I'm positive I relaxed on the elevator after I rotated and I wasn't fast enough on up elevator or right aileron. Calmer conditions will help.

Edit: I don't have dimensions handy, but mine came in at 1100g ready to fly. Using the Rustoleum added about 40g-50g of weight to my floats.

Ricky
Last edited by rickgode; Aug 07, 2018 at 09:37 AM.
Aug 08, 2018, 06:45 AM
Really nice waterplane! I think I will buy it!

It is a shame you accident Ricky, but I think that you were lucky because the plane hit the water very hard without any damage. It seems to be a very strong model..

Let see how flies.
Aug 09, 2018, 05:51 AM
Looks really nice. Something I will consider buying. What's the span?
Aug 09, 2018, 05:39 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Thread OP
I just took a tape measure to mine and it was a tad over 45 inches.

Ricky
Aug 10, 2018, 05:45 AM
Thanks. That's about 115 cm. That's not bad, but I'd like to see them a bit bigger myself (hint hint eclipson).
Still looking good and I will probably buy one.
Aug 13, 2018, 10:53 AM
Charles Sherman

Prototype With Landing Gear

Completed the version with gear. No issues with the print files. Everything lined up fit together nicely.

Weight was 675g. Flying weight will be 785g (27oz) with a 3 cell 1300mah battery.

I placed the battery and esc as far forward as possible and the plane balanced out right on the cg markings.

Got out for a test flight this morning and took off from a grass field. Take-off was easy and the plane was pretty well balanced. Flew in a range of 45% - 55% throttle which was a nice cruising range. Wind was about 0.

For the test flight I had planned to to just flight circuits. First time around was fine. Second time around the plane pitched up sharply as I exited the homeward turn. I did the same circuit again - and again a sharp rise in the nose. Third time around - slightly descending out of the turn - 2 sections of the wing pop off and down she goes. Coming out of that turn in the circuit was probably the most aggressive turn in all three laps but it was still a pretty gentle turn and I had throttled way back on the last one.

Only had time for a quick inspection of the wreckage. No failures in the glued joints. Both of the first 2 wing parts to fail did so about a centimeter from the joint.

I printed the wing parts at 215 degrees. I'll try a little hotter next attempt.

And if anyone does notice - yes the prop is on backwards in the photos and was flipped for the flight.
Last edited by csherman; Aug 13, 2018 at 03:14 PM.
Aug 14, 2018, 03:41 AM
csherman your incident is very weird, I own model Y and model Z and the wing is very strong, I have done looping without problems.

Did you check if there were gaps between layers? it seems that you already had a crack on this area, increasing the temperature is a good idea because you will increase adhesion between layers.

It seems to be a very stable plane right? maybe will be a good trainer for people like me without experience. Other thing that I realize is the used of skid on the tail, like old planes, the landing gear seems to be very strong, I guess is made out of steel wires? At the end the landing impact will be absorbed by those steel rods parts.
Aug 14, 2018, 04:45 PM
Charles Sherman
Yes. The plane was stable until something went wrong with the wing.

I didn't notice any gaps in the print but obviously there was weakness there due to printing.

The take-off was pretty smooth for going off grass and it climbed up nicely.

I think it will be a very nice flyer.

I used petg to print the landing gear holder and 2mm ish wire for the gear. Had a good amount of give to it so I'm sure it would do fine landing on rougher fields. You can also go bigger tires if you want to give it more of a bush plane look.

I'm printing the parts at 225 and I can see a difference in how the lines appear - definitely smoother looking.

Hopefully have it up again this weekend.
Aug 15, 2018, 08:35 AM
To me it seems like the ailerons are in a strange place. Why not more outboard? They are more effective there.
Aug 15, 2018, 03:20 PM
3pa
3pa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vork
To me it seems like the ailerons are in a strange place. Why not more outboard? They are more effective there.
The reason is that they are not ailerons. They are flaperons.
Aug 19, 2018, 05:43 PM
Charles Sherman

Maiden - Part Deux

Printed everything out at 225 degrees C and rebuilt.

Take off was easy off of a rough grassy schoolyard. Flight was good - nothing out of the ordinary came up this time. I flew at 50% throttle and under - there is plenty of power using the recommend motor. I used a 3c 1300mah battery and slowfly 8x6 prop. At 50% the plane was going at a pretty clip.

It was pretty gusty so I took it easy on the test flight. Alvaro suggested 7mm +/- for the flaperons. Mine were at 15mm/10mm but I never fully engaged them so I would think the 7mm +/- with about 33% rudder mixed in is a good starting point for your controls. The rudder - I didn't adjust it - is around 15mm +/-. Elevator I did set to about 10mm +/-. The plane was balanced at the CG markings and they were dead on.

I have my flaperon servos going through 2 channels and the way I mounted them and set up the radio wouldn't allow me to set up the flaperons as flaps without reconfiguring a lot of things so I'll play around with that when I have a chance.

All in all the flying characteristics of this model are really good. It is very stable in flight and glides well. Doesn't take much power to keep it from stalling. Turns were smooth with the rudder mixed in. Cut the motor for landing and glided it in most of the way. I wanted to bleed some speed off when I was a few feet off the ground so I flared it, gave it a little power to insure there was no stall, and had a pretty gentle landing on a rough field.

I'm going to be away for a week and when I get back I'm going to get the flaperons switched over to work as flaps. I think with the flaps deployed and the slow fly prop being used this thing will be able great at STOL.

I've attached the cura profiles I used on my Ender 3. I'm printing on glass so if you aren't, you may want to lower the bed temperature. I found that even at 65 degrees a couple of parts flared slightly at the base.

Quick Reply