Dec 03, 2018, 12:19 AM
Thread OP
Dad has the situation absolutely right. The circlip failed on my 3547-800 Purple Power electric motor allowing the motor shaft to move forward. The windings were not then in alignment with the rotor, the propeller stopped moving and I had to land. That said it was a very old motor which had been involved in a spectacular crash when the wings came off my much loved Telemaster 40.

James, I am a great lover of i/c engines especially Enyas and Lasers. I chose to fit an electric motor to the Baron because I had limited time to build and practice flying the Baron. Currently "Boris" is fitted with an almost brand new SC 32 which runs very well and which I bought on eBay for a song. I am going to build a reserve Baron for next year's competition in case I stuff-in Boris prior to the event. If the organisers permit a bigger four-stroke engine in next years competition, I'll fit one from my collection. If not I will use an electric motor in the reserve model.

The winner and second place man both used OS35 AXs with tuned pipes. They were eighty points ahead of the third place finisher. The OS is a superb little engine but very expensive. I was always brought up to be prudent with money so can't justify the expenditure of 154€ (£137 Sterling or $175 US) on a two-stroke to be fitted to what is after all a basic three-channel trainer ! A 35 is the largest two-stroke engine size you can use in La Coupe. Four-stroke pilots are limited to a 40.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2018, 08:54 AM
It's pity they didn't put the cut-off at .36 or .37 because it would have allowed a number of strong engines that can be had much cheaper than the OS 35 AX.

My strongest 40 4C is an ancient Saito 40 Mk.II with a high lift cam (the one for the 50,56,62) substituted for the original. It will spin an MA 12x4 at 10,850. With a 10x8 it would probably do about the same and have a pretty good speed potential. But I'm sure the 35AXs would still win.

Again, if the organizers made the 4C cut-off 41 instead of 40 it would allow the Enya 41, which is capable of revving quite high.

Still, they're doing something right, with that terrific turn-out!

Jim
Dec 03, 2018, 10:41 AM
Perhaps one could test a bldc motor on a test bench, after removing the circlip at the back end...
(Yes, I’ve done it)
And check whether it anchors the shaft, or just retains the rear bearing...
Dec 04, 2018, 12:22 AM
Thread OP
This is the last word on Barons on this thread, after all it's supposed to be about the Big Guff but in La Coupe Des Barons, before the flying rounds take place, all of the models are lined up in their flying groups and judged statically. I have never considered myself to be an particularly good builder but I finished in eighteenth position in the static. I was pleased with that. Mind you many of my competitors were flying battered old veterans and I doubt whether Boris will feature as high in the rankings next year.

It is my ambition to finish higher than fifty-third next year!
Mar 10, 2019, 11:10 PM
robinson727

Big Guff

Hi Monza Red
Like you I was in a quandry over selection so I ordered my Big Guff last week from LDS.. for the exact same reasons you did, I always loved that pic of Guff taking off. Next is a balsa order to $ig this week which btw, the wood callout seems a little light on the LDS site. comments??
I also like to screw around with engines (retired airline pilot and A&P) so I'm in the middle of converting an old OS .91 (but little flown and nice) to an ignition gasser.. To that end, I'm going to fab up an intake manifold to use a small Walbro pumper carby and shopped various vendors and ordered parts tonight for the ignition bits. I'm going to run it "wasted spark".... not hard.. BTDT) .. simple is better.

So I will watch with bated breath for your posts and pictures and post mine to, this will be fun and I'm so glad you posted about your project. BTW.. Williams Bros. wheels are flat proof, fairly light weight and with an alum. hubcap look great, I used 'em on my Robinhood and 12' Telemaster before it was put on floats.. Also I'm putting the hatch in with plexiglas cover, a hinge and neodym magnets and it's GOT to be orange !!.

Al and the Greyhounds
AMA255724
Mar 11, 2019, 12:50 AM
Thread OP
Hi Al

I'm afraid I haven't even started the Big Guff. On 12th January 2019 I was distracted by a pair of pale blue eyes in the library in Dun Le Palestel and life has not been the same since! We don't do too badly for a pair of seventy year-olds! Oh, I've just remembered I'm seventy-one today, I wonder what she has in mind for me!

Once I've finished my reserve Baron, the construction of the Big Guff starts. I have decided to keep to the original construction of the tailplane and fuselage, 1/32nd sheeting and all. What was good enough for Peter Russell is good enough for me! I will decide on the wing construction when I get round to it.
Last edited by Monza Red; Mar 11, 2019 at 01:52 AM.
Mar 11, 2019, 07:06 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.

Has she got a (very slightly...) younger sister..?
Mar 11, 2019, 10:19 AM
robinson727

Big Guff Birthday Greetings !!

Well Happy Birthday Monza and tell Miss Blue Eyes Hello from the Greyhound gang in N. Ms. !!
Ya'll stay outa trouble and be home before midnight, Danny Lee the greyhound sez Happy Birthday to !!

Al and the Greyhounds
Mar 11, 2019, 12:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad3353

Has she got a (very slightly...) younger sister..?
Douglas, I'm afraid she is an only child!

Check out the following for the height of ridiculousnes. French residents may find this of interest. For those of you who don't live in France, let this be a warning.

A few years ago we had a break-in at our club hut during which the door was destroyed. It was only a half-glazed house door which must have been at least eighty years old, built at a time when burglaries were less common because no-one had anything worth stealing! Its lightweight construction was no match for a determined blow from an axe or sledge hammer. The man who was the treasurer at the time donated a ledge and brace door which was surplus to requirements. For reasons which need not concern us, this member has decided to cut his involvement with our club and has demanded his door back. Rather childish I thought!

A local builder has contributed a steel door complete with frame but as it's taller and narrower than the other door there was a certain amount of carpentry involved to make it fit. A working party was organised over the past weekend and we also welded up and erected a mast for a solar panel while we were at it. We stopped for luch. This is France so that doesn't mean a sandwich or burger with a tea or coffee, this means an aperitif, entrée of cold potatoes and salted herring, ham casserole with pasta on the Saturday, omlette with sautéed potatoes on the Sunday, cheese, desert, red wine and coffee!

While we were getting all of this down our necks conversation naturally flowed. Last summer we held an open day which attracted several new members including a man who spent the Northern Hemisphere winters in South Africa. This man flies control-line models exclusively. Last year the French Government through the FFAM, the national aeromodelling organisation, forced us to register each model we own, heavier than 800 grammes or about 28 ounces. This is aimed mainly at people who want to use a drone illegally but it forces us law-abiding aeromodellers to comply. Picture of the registration number on my foamy trainer below.

So we're sitting around feeling replete and mellow when the club's president announced that this man's control-line models heavier than 800 grammes will also have to be registered even though they're only capable of flying round in circles! I ask you! Have you ever heard of anything so daft?

Of course if I wanted to drop a small bomb on a barracks or photograph my neighbour's teenage daughters sunbathing, I'd be sure to register the model wouldn't I?
Mar 11, 2019, 12:35 PM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza Red
Douglas, I'm afraid she is an only child!...
Une cousine, peut-être..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza Red
...and has demanded his door back...
Mar 11, 2019, 01:35 PM
Happy birthday Dave.
Hope to see you some time, and Miss Blue Eyes of course!
Nick
Mar 11, 2019, 02:00 PM
I plan to jump to Limousin to see the blue eyes some day.
In Toulouse we have more black eyes, is less pretty!!
Regards
GUY
Mar 18, 2019, 05:53 AM
Thread OP
Mmmm... I only have to tidy my work bench and I can start on the Big Guff. Having said that anybody who has seen my workbench will realise that's no small task.!

I'm still undecided about the colour scheme and the door. I feel that the door is unnecessary and a potential weak point in a crash. On the other hand it's a good talking point! I'm feeling a little sensitive on the issue of crashing at the moment because I had two crashes in consecutive flights which the cognoscenti in the club who were watching, put down to a fault in the transmitter. I sent it away to the menders in England and it's apparently functioning normally now but I have not had the chance to use it owing to recent inclement weather and other distractions. (See above!) It cost me £76 (88.76€ or $100.75 US) to have it repaired and returned to my home in France.

As for the colour, I'm in two minds. I was always brought up to be careful with money and I've plenty of Solartex which is my covering material of choice on models of about five feet (1.50 metres) in the wingspan or greater. I've plenty of Dark Blue or Red which I could use to cover the fuselage and I've over ten metres of Antique which I could use on the flying surfaces.

As for the traditional orange finish, I have just about enough Orange Solartex to cover the fuselage but knowing my luck it won't quite be enough! I've an unopened two-metre roll of Vintage Orange but the orinary Orange Solartex is no longer available from Solarfilm Sales. They are still showing Vintage Orange as being in stock. I could buy five metres of Vintage Orange and I'd have enough to cover the model but that would cost me £58.50 (68.33€ or $77.55 US) and I've already told you I'm cautious with money. Besides I've had quite a few expenses this month, 198€ on the rotovator, and quite a bit on parts to get the van through its controlle technique. Choice of colour scheme is important because I plan to build and cover each component in turn. That way there will be less risk of hangar rash as the project procedes. Decisions, decisions!

The model should be easy enough to fly I suppose.

I still have to finish off the Reseve Baron but I've a smaller building board for that. The next post will show the start of the Big Guff build I promise, pictures and all!
Apr 02, 2019, 10:25 AM
Thread OP
I've made a start! Three months behind schedule but I've been distracted! See Post 36.

I found that the fuselage was longer than both my table and the plasterboard I have been using as a building board but nil desperandum, I've done time on the building sites so knew how to lengthen the board. Just for the record, the fuselage is 1 metre 54 centimetres long and my table is only 1 metre and 47 centimetres long. ( About 60 and 58 inches respectively.)

The pictures were taken just before I stopped for tea, hence the diagonals haven't been finished off.

PS. I've decided to go with the door!
Last edited by Monza Red; Apr 02, 2019 at 10:44 AM.
Apr 02, 2019, 10:49 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Well done David, better late than never! Looking forward to seeing it develop!

Quick Reply