Mar 16, 2019, 09:23 AM
Well, my review of the Comet should be published soon in the April issue of MA. I saw this morning the AMA posted the video so I’ll link it here. I’m still enjoying it on the rare occasion our weather cooperates. What a lousy stretch of weather.

Old School Model Works Comet - Model Aviation Magazine (5 min 51 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 16, 2019, 10:17 AM
Great radio choice, Greg

Andy
Mar 16, 2019, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Great radio choice, Greg

<grin> Well, at least you're not biased :-) I loved my DX9, but this is quite a radio...it may be smarter than me though ;-)

Take care,
Greg
Mar 16, 2019, 02:35 PM
I should also mention Lucien Miller of Innov8tive Design was a big help as usual. I wanted to go with a smaller 3-blade prop on 3S to help with ground clearance. I had come up with a couple options and ran them by Lucien for his opinion. He’s always been very straightforward about what’s a good idea and what isn’t. I’ve had great luck with his Cobra line of motors/esc and the info on his website is beyond any you’ll find anywhere. Real data for various setups, etc really help.

http://innov8tivedesigns.com
Mar 17, 2019, 07:52 AM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
I can't wait for my April issue of MA. It will be great to see a review of a kit, and of a delta.

I got into wings last year with the foamies and and this winter figured I'd try a plans built tractor delta. I decided on the Dale Nutter 1964 vintage Sidewinder Delta Pylon racer. I modified the plans to make it electric powered instead of glow. It is a very neat design, all balsa construction except I used a plywood firewall. 3/16" spars, ribs, and full sheeting, very stiff and light. 42" span, 750 sq inch, AUW minus battery of 2 lb, 15 oz on the gear 3" wheels and with steerable nose wheel. It has a semi symmetrical airfoil with built in reflex in the trailing edge that blends into the elevons.

I also built a "slow freak" version of the Jerry Smith Outlaw because I think the anhedral wing is pretty cool, but my "need for speed" years are in the rear view mirror.

If I like the way these fly I might need to try the Comet.
Mar 17, 2019, 09:55 AM
Your Sidewinder looks very similar to the Comet. Like you, my hotliner days are behind me for the safety of others :-)

This kit was really well designed. The way the wing frames up with the built-in crutches and such worked like a champ and provided a perfectly true wing. Much better than the old days of building up supports along trailing edges, etc to do symmetrical wings.

I was hoping this would have been in the November issue, but scheduling just got full I guess and it's finally coming out. It's a lot of fun to fly, nicely aerobatic, but not a speed demon that scares me.

Greg
Mar 17, 2019, 10:04 AM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
I probably would have built one if it had been in the November issue but if I like the deltas I have I probably will still do one. A modern self jigging and aligning kit would be a treat. And the kit is a pretty good deal considering how complete it is.
Mar 29, 2019, 06:40 AM
ToL
ToL

New Product Old School Models Comet

Which who by buying KIT can You place plane photo?
May 13, 2019, 08:22 PM
VegasRay

Comet retired

At the end of todays flying I decided not to spend any more time trying to make a suitable flying machine out of the Comet - seems like a lost cause. In over 50 years of flying RC I have never spent as much time sorting out issues as I have spent with this model when I could have been flying and enjoying any one of my 'good' flying models. While the only crash was on it's maiden (see page 6, #82 for those details), the remaining flights (over 40) have all been a work in progress. While it is good looking , in my opinion and might be mine only, this Comet is a poorly designed model.

I have been looking forward to other Comet fliers reporting on their models but to date only three of us have been quoted here in RCG. So out comes the electronics, the radio, servos and motor and the model will be donated to my local hobby shop - if they'll take it.

Ray
May 13, 2019, 09:16 PM
I’m sorry to hear you’re so frustrated by your Comet Ray. I sure wish I could figure out what is going on with it because it just doesn’t seem like mine at all. I’ve got my CG about 1/2” forward of the recommended location, but everything else is as designed. I actually enjoy flying mine and it doesn’t do anything to surprise me. It still takes a long time to get off the ground, but that’s the only thing that sort of baffles me.

That said, life is too short to spend an inordinate amount of time sorting out a plane that constantly frustrates you. If it’s not enjoyable, it’s time to move on to one that is. I’ve done that before with a couple models when others seemed to have no problems.

You certainly gave it every chance.
May 20, 2019, 10:39 AM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Needs some flight reports on Glow power. I have a couple of engines and need to know if a .25 is enough for good performance.

Also will a 6 oz tank fit or is 4 oz the max I can use?

May 20, 2019, 06:07 PM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
I have some HS-85 servos. Will that be enough power or should I get larger servos?

Quick Reply