Aug 03, 2018, 06:28 PM
Thread OP
Question

BUSA Phaeton II Conversion

Thinking about building a Phaeton II this winter, but want to go electric power.

Wonder if any folks have modified this model, and if so, what motor, battery they used. Also any experience on hatch placement, etc.

I am only looking for being capable of just slightly more than scale flight and basic aerobatics. Thinking of a rimfire .32, or maybe even just a .25.

Thanks for your thoughts.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 01, 2018, 06:42 PM
I am thinking the same thing. So far I have found this info.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-II-conversion
Let me know if you find anything else
Oct 01, 2018, 02:45 PM
I ended up getting the Eflite Power 46. Still building but the specs looked good for the conversion
Feb 05, 2019, 07:01 PM

Phaeton II

Iím almost done with one with a Tomcat 52. Might be too much power.... I have the hatch going from just in front of the forward cabane struts to just short of the firewall
Mar 05, 2019, 12:17 PM
I converted my Phaeton II to electric many years ago. I have a TowerPro 4130 outrunner with a 70A ESC, running on 5S or 6S. When I made the conversion, I stripped the covering and changed the cowling around to have a removable hatch on the front top, and a couple openings (left and right side) to allow air inside to the ESC and battery compartment. The ESC is mounted below and behind the motor. There is also a hole in the covering near the tail, to allow a little air flow through the entire fuselage, from the battery compartment back.

The image showing the airplane covered in blue is the electric version. If you look just above the prop, and then along the top towards the front cabanes, you can see the line of the removable hatch.
Mar 05, 2019, 03:07 PM
I just want to go fly!
cool! im thinking about building the 70 inch version and going electric as well. nice job everyone!
Sep 23, 2019, 04:25 PM

electric Phaeton II

I am looking for a biplane project for the winter and the Phaeton II is catching my eye. I would like to electrify it- I'm thinking of using an e-flite 60 with maybe a 4S 4000 lipo. Sound like a good combination? I'm planning on modifying the tail to give it a more rounded classic look. I'd like to make the top of the fuselage round as well, I don't like the faceted shape. My last biplane I built when I was 16- a Smith MiniPlane. Our club has a biplane event every year and I would like to have something to fly next year!
Last edited by Thor Hubbell; Sep 23, 2019 at 06:35 PM.

Quick Reply