Aug 12, 2019, 04:42 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Thanks Darrin -you were a big part of it....And Great Idea-Wintertime project along with the seats and crew..she's going to Groton Sub Base Sept 8th+9th for a run in the navy's pond! so looking forward to it..
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2019, 11:12 PM
It's a fine fiddly business.
Runs very well. Congratulations.
Robert
Aug 13, 2019, 02:43 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
A great build, good to see it getting some speed on the water.
It trims out nicely.
Aug 13, 2019, 08:28 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Thanks Aimee, There was a lot of traffic, had to wait for openings to punch it then ran out of pond Haha

-Thirteen pounds of fiberglass, sweat, and swear words..after 20 minutes of play, when I got her home I actually had to discharge the batteries to storage voltage.
Jan 17, 2020, 03:15 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP

It's Winter!

Yes it's winter and I said that the seats will be a wintertime project-

The mark V typically had 21 "Stidd" high shock seats for the crew...Interestingly enough-these seats were made here on Long Island, but I hadn't had a chance to go there-I have enough documentation from my many pictures, so no need. The seat frames will be made from .005" aluminum flashing and the upholstery will be construction foam sliced to 1/8" slabs. The nice part of the aluminum is that it can be cut with a ordinary scissors and easily folded like a tiny cardboard box. The many lightening holes in the seat backs took a total of 1404 passes of various drill bits on the drill press including the pilot holes and final cuts... not including the deburring-but that went fast.

...and yes, I had to stop periodically to let the poor benchtop drill press cool off!
Jan 17, 2020, 03:35 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP

The Prototypes

I experimented with various ways to pump out 21 seats in some sort of assembly line fashion. After the final size and parts were decided on, They were printed out on a copy machine-then 3M 77'd to the aluminum , center punched, cut out and drilled-the seat backs were glued together and drilled in twos (any more then double then it was too tough to cut with scissors.)

I basically made four prototypes-each one using a different method and each generation better then the last. The upholstery will be 1/8 foam with the print glued to the back side and press embossed with the rolls and bolsters-then possibly sealed with epoxy and painted with acrylic paint (I'm not sure if i will skip the epoxy or not)
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Jan 17, 2020 at 04:02 PM.
Jan 22, 2020, 03:32 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP

Its All About That Base

Seat bases are all (plus a few spares) folded into shape-next they get an acetone bath to remove the paper and a little CA here and there at the folds.
Jan 22, 2020, 05:00 PM
GET BACK IN THE SHOP!!!!!!
Bob, You are a building machine!

DH
Jan 22, 2020, 09:26 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
This is why I waited till winter-good thing I don't live in SoCal, I'd never get this done!!
Jan 28, 2020, 03:45 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
The seat bases are all assembled-the main seats (16) still have to be matched up and joined side by side-there are two singles-the pilot and navigator's seat. The (I call them) rumble seats (5), which are shorter then the main seats, are joined and the upholstery is done but not attached yet-then ready for install.
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Jan 28, 2020 at 03:53 PM.
Jan 30, 2020, 11:39 AM
Most anything RC
Feb 01, 2020, 06:21 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP

As Good as They're Going to Get

They're done-
next I will take them to the grocery store produce dept and weigh them ("curious minds want to know")

Too bad almost nobody will see them (you will have to look in the windows and up in the cockpit)... but maybe that's a good thing!
Feb 01, 2020, 10:13 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP

And The Survey Says...

All 21 completed seats weigh 57 grams total including the upholstery and ziploc bag that they were in.
Feb 02, 2020, 04:29 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP

-OK for Return to Service-

All seats installed

Quick Reply