Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 03, 2018, 12:32 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Build Log

Mark V Navy Seal Special Operations Craft in 1:24

In my prior build logs the subjects were either already completed or being refurbished/refitted so chapters of the build would show up fairly fast. This one is from day one so my apologies up front-this might take a while.
The Mark V was the navy's go to craft for those stealthy deeds nobody has ever heard about. Its 80-83 feet (depending on which version is being built) and is 17 feet wide with a 24* deadrise at the stern and two KAMEWA water jets for propulsion. It will do 60mph and draws 5feet of water. It usually sports two twin 50 cal guns and two MK19 granade launchers. For picking up groceries it carries 1-4 F470 inflatable RIBS with a 3cyl 55HP outboard. Many of these boats are now in museums and the private sector via auctions or scrap. The original version of the Mark V had problems injuring crew members and studies proved the crew were subject to 20G loads (yes I said 20Gs!) 60 MPH thru 10 and 15 ft seas caused transient forces that broke /sprained ankles wrists and fingers-prompting a small redesign of the crew area-The Coolest Friggin Boat I've Ever Seen...
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Aug 04, 2018 at 02:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2018, 06:26 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
While I kind of prefer the Stridsbåt 90/CB90, this looks like a great boat to model.

1/24 sounds like a big model, 41" x 8.5"... is that right?

Aug 03, 2018, 08:16 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Spot on Umi...any smaller and the propulsion would be difficult to fit. As shown by its model predecessors (prop and shaft driven)
Stridsbåt 90/CB90 is very interesting but
I have now so much info on this boat, a scratch build would be a lot easier-
Also I have a great contact with someone from a museum that has a MK V on display who offered to take photos of the display when needed and send them to me- this is great!!... She says (this is/was a navy seal)- she says " I could send the pictures to you-but then I'll have to kill you."
awesome!
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Aug 03, 2018, 08:33 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
I started with drawings of the prototype and photo printed them to scale length and width. Then I cut and pasted components in or out as needed. I stretched the cabin and moved it as required as determined by broadside photos that were cut up into 16.6 ft divisions and ultimately into 1ft increments. This gave me plan and side views. I then proceeded to draw up station frames.
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Aug 03, 2018, 11:57 PM
boat butcher

Mark
Aug 04, 2018, 06:38 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP

Frames

Finished drawing out the frames and working out the "bugs"-and there is always bugs..heck I am on my second pencil because the erasers are gone.(and white out) My personal next step is to go to the office supply (Staples) and have them printed onto card stock ($4) cheap insurance. Firstly make sure that their photocopier is calibrated and the printed frame is the correct size-size does matter. A quick cut out with scissors Note: theyre are cut 1/8 inch short to allow for the fiberglass skin-if I were building a plug for a mold , they would be full size as drawn... and now I can place them on the drawing-another bunch of days looking with first one eye then the other. Hopefully this is where you catch any fine mistakes...do all the spray rail, rub rail, water line and chine marks line up or fair into the proper curve?
I am only building this boat up to the rub rail . The shear is dead straight and makes a great platform for building. The bulwark and deck will be separate. Also the aft 2 inches or so (aft of where the jet drives will be bolted) will be a separate piece bonded to the last bulkhead seen in the pictures-as it will be a very complex build from fiberglass sheets
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Aug 04, 2018 at 06:47 AM.
Aug 04, 2018, 10:38 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Don't skip making a frame line drawing, in case someone else wants to build a model.

Aug 04, 2018, 12:22 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Thank goodness its a fairly simply shaped boat with a straight sheer and flat sides...I am trying my best..each time I catch a mistake I have to go back and make a revision to the lines drawing...
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Aug 04, 2018 at 02:45 PM.
Aug 06, 2018, 02:20 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Using paper for sides and card stock for the frames everything is laid out and I can see where there needs to be an adjustment or two. I didn't like the curve two frames from the stem so a third was added. Also the transition from the straight side to the flair angle needed to be tweaked on four frames. A pencil mark, a pair of dividers and another pencil mark and a few snips with a scissors and all looks good. And I can't forget to go back and change the lines drawings-the next guy wont be happy! Upcoming will be to cut them out of 1/4 inch birch ply-do yourself a favor and spend the extra pesos for the birch and not the Luan ply-it cuts so much better and produces very little splintering
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Aug 06, 2018 at 02:32 PM.
Aug 06, 2018, 03:02 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Very cool. Looking forward to see this take shape. And I like popcorn.

Bob
Aug 06, 2018, 06:22 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
I have a set of frame lines like that...I always have to remember to
tell the builder, don't use the frames with the red X on them.

Aug 06, 2018, 07:21 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Nice touch
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Aug 06, 2018 at 07:58 PM.
Aug 07, 2018, 04:43 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Usually I like to go unconventional with the build-glue the frame drawings to aluminum flashing and cut to match with a scissor next glue to foam, stack /glue them together- then cut hull shape with a hot wire. This time I'm going to try unconventionally conventional. That means this will have your standard wood frames with two ply fiberglass sheet screwed to the frames. Then bonded to each other on the inside then unscrewed to form a shell without frames. Then fill the holes- Fiberglass frames (or possibly wood)will be added later. This should produce a very light structure.
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Aug 07, 2018 at 05:06 PM.
Aug 09, 2018, 10:06 PM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
Buddy Bob, I'm BAAAAACCCCKKK,!!! Just saw this so count me IN on the watchers list,!!Very cool subject, any history/missions research you or your "friend" can share on these craft in a "general" exploits version,?? I personally think for her size she is under gunned, despite her speed or agility. WUT the HECK I know I'm a PT/(and all other type variants/ever built) n PBR boat freak anywho,!!!! Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Aug 10, 2018, 12:17 AM
Tim,

The guns are mainly for defensive use, as it's designed for fast dropping off and picking up, of SEAL Teams and other Special Forces Units.

Quick Reply