Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by mwhidden, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 03, 2018, 10:26 AM
MA, USA
Thread OP
Build Log

Mark's Models Wanderer (1976 Balsa Glider Kit) - Part 13


I hope none of you are superstitious, because I'm closing out this build on Part 13. Maybe there will be a part 14 with images from the maiden flight.

Since last time, the empennage has been carefully aligned and glued in place. I after double checking that the horizontal stab was a) level with the wings and b) perpendicular to the center line, I glued it down with epoxy after peeling away the Monokote where it contacted the fuselage. After the epoxy set, I positioned the vertical stab and glued that in place as well. Next, I glued the rudder in using epoxy on the nylon hinges, being careful not to let any epoxy into the moving areas of the hinge. Finally, I connected the clevises and made final adjustments to make sure all the surfaces were flat when the servos are centered.

Earlier this week the motor, spinner, props, and receiver arrived. I'm using an eMax GT 2210 1270kv, a BB-45 folding prop spinner with 9x5 prop, a DualSky X18A V2 ESC, and a FrSky S6R receiver with gyro stabilizer. I mounted the motor inside the fuselage, with the shaft protruding out the front. I was nervous about anything accidentally coming loose inside and getting mixed up with the outrunner motor, so I put a small bit of foamboard leftover from a FliteTest build in there to separate the motor area from everything else.

All loaded up, it was still tail-heavy, so I hot-glued some steel washers opposite the battery which should help with the small lateral-imbalance I created by putting the battery on the left. That got things balanced out.

The final touch -- decals on the wing. My daughter wanted to put the number "101" on the plane, so using an electronic paper cutter (think a printer, but instead of printing, it cuts paper) to cut out the numbers from a piece of Monokote trim sheet. We used the "windex trick" to allow the sticky decals to slide on the wing until they were in the right position, and then squeegied out the windex to affix them in place.

Next step is to bring this to one of the club experts at the field for a final checkout, and I guess a hand-toss to make sure it'll fly before actually taking it up to altitude.
Last edited by mwhidden; Jan 04, 2019 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Fixed a number of typos.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts


Quick Reply
Message:
Thread Tools