Aug 03, 2018, 09:10 AM
flying beam
Thread OP
Discussion

Graupner Vector Foam

I was reading this thread on the Micro EDF forum MiG-29-1-24-2x35mm-EDF-conversion

And the OP uses a foam that I didn't knew : Graupner vector foam, available from 10mm to 0.2mm thickness.

This video show some of the characteristic of the foam. It seems well adapted as skin on a depron skeleton

Verspaget Modelbouw Eindhoven Graupner Vector Boards Be a creator (4 min 59 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2018, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmoon
This video show some of the characteristic of the foam. It seems well adapted as skin on a depron skeleton
Thanks, Mr. Moon Excellent video.

Looks like it has great potential.

Gene K
Aug 03, 2018, 04:32 PM
flying beam
Thread OP
On the Graupner site they go for +/-30€ 150pcs of 1000x300x0.2mm

Vector-Boards-1000-x-300-x-0-2-mm-150-pcs

That's a lot of skin, Mr speedy
Aug 03, 2018, 04:51 PM
Quote:
That's a lot of skin ... .
That's interesting -- I assume Vector, unlike Depron, has no skin.

The price seems reasonable, I think for 150 pieces ... but that is a lot as you point out.

Mr. Gene
Aug 04, 2018, 06:53 AM
wonder how bad shipping would be, and most importantly, how would it survive the shipping! I worked at UPS for 11 years and I know what goes on in there.
Aug 04, 2018, 08:19 AM
flying beam
Thread OP
I think you are out of luck in the US.

Graupner-Vector-Boards-USA
Aug 18, 2018, 04:16 AM
mine just arrived - 0.2 and 0.5 is very very flexible paper like

1mm is a bit better. I think without the skin unless thermoforming it is going to be very floppy unless supported
Aug 19, 2018, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo
mine just arrived - 0.2 and 0.5 is very very flexible paper like

1mm is a bit better. I think without the skin unless thermoforming it is going to be very floppy unless supported
Hello,
Did you pay 90 euros for having the three thickness? or is there a possibility to have a mix? I haven't seen this option on Graupner web site...
Aug 20, 2018, 02:24 AM
Yes i did, stupidly........ i tried thermo forming it. it does take a shape but not rigidity at all at this thickness.

I am trying to see if they will swap it for some thicker versions. it needs a hard skin to be much use, unless you are just using it for covering an open frame.
Aug 20, 2018, 08:03 AM
flying beam
Thread OP
Did you try to print something on it ?

I'm thinking using the 0.2 as a skin over drepron formers.

On a side note, I'm just getting back into plastic models and bought a some 1:32/48 scale last month (dam youtube ). While looking at the sprues I as thinking "why not make some molds before assembly..." one never knows

Plus at 30€/150 sheets (a lifetime supply) ins't bad at all.
Last edited by blackmoon; Aug 20, 2018 at 08:15 AM.
Aug 20, 2018, 02:30 PM
EP 3D Flyer
Quote:
I was reading this thread on the Micro EDF forum MiG-29-1-24-2x35mm-EDF-conversion

And the OP uses a foam that I didn't knew : Graupner vector foam, available from 10mm to 0.2mm thickness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksQ85eg7jTo
Nice and effective introduction. Thanks.
Aug 24, 2018, 07:51 AM
It seems that 0.5 or 1 mm thickness would be a good candidate for building paper model airplanes, as the foam is flexible. What do you think?
Aug 24, 2018, 09:48 AM
EP 3D Flyer
Does this foam have anything to do with XPP, a.k.a., magic board in Chinese?
XPP 魔術板 特性 (0 min 18 sec)
Aug 24, 2018, 10:25 AM
flying beam
Thread OP
Maybe, I don't think Graupner came up with it.

Quote:
It seems that 0.5 or 1 mm thickness would be a good candidate for building paper model airplanes, as the foam is flexible. What do you think?
The OP on the EDF thread uses it for that purpose.

Quote:
I have used the new foam from Graupner with brand name Vector which is produced in various thickness. i`ve used th thickness 0.5mm and 1mm. The skelet is made from 1.5mm Depron which is much sturdy than Vector.
Aug 25, 2018, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo
Yes i did, stupidly........ i tried thermo forming it. it does take a shape but not rigidity at all at this thickness.

I am trying to see if they will swap it for some thicker versions. it needs a hard skin to be much use, unless you are just using it for covering an open frame.
Helllo,

Would you like to sell me a few sheets of each thickness? As i live in France, shipping should 'nt be high. your price will be mine.
If it's a problem for you, i'll understand.
Thanks.

Quick Reply