Aug 02, 2018, 10:21 PM
Contest

2018 F3RES International

This is the first call for the 2018 F3RES International.

What: F3RES Sailplanes - 2M, wood sailplanes with rudder/elevator/spoiler control.
When: 10-11 November (remember that Monday, 12 November, will be a National holiday).
Where: The Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta Park, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Who: Up to 32 competitors willing to have fun flying on a budget.
Why: Why not?

Just like last year, the Albuquerque Soaring Association is hosting the 2018 F3RES International, an RC soaring event for all ages and pocket books. The rules this year are shown below (or will be soon!). Just like last year, the venue will be the outstanding Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta Park. We are gathering and refreshing hi-starts, exercising computers and loud speakers, and pacing off distances - getting ready. We can accommodate eight lanes, so that limits attendance to 32 people in four teams.

The basic format remains the same: there is a six-minute task in a nine-minute window, unlimited launches allowed in the nine minutes. Score is two points per flying second, up to six minutes, then two points are lost for each second flying after six minutes. There is a landing tape, with as many as 100 points possible. Airplanes must be primarily made of wood, and wing spans are limited to two meters. Controls are limited to rudder, elevator and spoiler ("RES"). The rules as we received them from Europe are slightly different this year, but the basic format remains as I just stated.

November in Albuquerque is usually quite sunny and mild. Typical temperature differences between overnight lows and daytime highs guarantee lots of lift. Rain is scarce in November, in these parts. The event is barely a week after the recovery period from the Balloon Fiesta, so the grass should be thick, soft and lush. The Balloon Park Management has been extremely supportive of flying events, so this should go off very well.

The Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta Park, host to the famous Balloon Fiesta with over 700 balloons participating, is at the North end of Albuquerque, right along I-25. There are a host of hotels very close, and lots of fun things for family members (who may not be flying) to see and do. There is a world-class zoo in Albuquerque, the famous Old Town, a wonderful Arboretum, and even an aquarium. Not to mention lots of expensive shopping just an hour up the road in Santa Fe.

Albuquerque is easy to find: at the only freeway interchange in the entire State, there is a good airport with lots of traffic, mostly on Southwest Airlines.

We had a great time last year, and hope to build on that this year. Competitors and helpers will get lunch on site both days. Saturday, the Albuquerque Soaring Association will host a Taco Bar at the very fine home of one of our members. We will also probably have an informal dining get together at one of the local eateries Friday night. Since Monday is a Federal Holiday, travel out should be easy, and if there is support, we would like to fly all day Sunday.

This thread will notify you when the web site for sign-ups is ready to go, so check back. In the meantime, please comment to let us know how many we can expect.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 02, 2018, 10:21 PM
Flyers from Outside the United States fly for FREE!

Teams: if you already know you want to be on a team with your friends, let us know when you post or sign up. We will make it happen. For those who will are newbies, we will place youwith some one who has experience, to walk you through the exercise.

Loaner Airplanes: We have a selection of receiver-ready airplanes for those who must travel far. There is an X-RES, a Slite and an Opal, all in good condition and ready to rock. The X-RES is the lightest known, and comes with a ballast pack.

Shipping Airplanes: Anyone needing airplanes shipped to Albuquerque, please contact me by PM. I will take them, and if the "supply exceeds demand" will arrange other shipping addresses as well.

Hotels and RV Parking:

Holiday Inn Express. 5401 Alameda Blvd NE 87117 (505)797-2291
Staybridge Suites. 5817 Signal Ave NE 87113 (505)266-7829
America's Best Value Inn. 5601 Alameda Blvd NE (505)858-3297

Village Park. 10200 2nd St NW 87114 (505)898-9526
Green Acres RV Park. 7043 2nd St. NW 87107 (505)433-0474
Balloon View Homes and RV Park. 500 Tyler Rd NE 87113 (505)345-3716
Last edited by glidermang; Aug 07, 2018 at 05:11 PM.
Aug 02, 2018, 10:23 PM
List of Attendees:

RMSA, in Colorado:
John Hsu
Bob Pederson
Jack Pitcher
Sam Pendelton
Lon
Heart of Texas Soaring Society, in (where else?) Texas:
Tom Meeks
Perry van
Gene Trevino
John Barton
Rick Nevill
Jack Whitman
Walter Higgins
Tommy Lamnek
Albuquerque Soaring Association:
Skyler Raver
Kirby House
Chris Pyle
Greg McGill
Somewhere in Florida:
John Kennedy
Somewhere in Arizona:
Corky Miller
Barry Kennedy
Somewhere in California:
Larry Jolly
Somewhere in Utah:
Loren Mills (Mark's brother)
Somewhere in Idaho:
Mark Mills (Loren's brother)
Last edited by glidermang; Aug 19, 2018 at 05:28 PM.
Aug 03, 2018, 07:12 AM
If only electric launch was also allowed...
Aug 03, 2018, 07:21 AM
Sonoran Laser Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD
If only electric launch was also allowed...
Jeff, you can use my spare fuse, so come on down!!!
Aug 03, 2018, 09:18 AM
RoyH
I brought up the idea of attending with my wife. Maybe by Nov I can convince her.
Roy
Aug 03, 2018, 02:47 PM
Afflicted with DDD
Sign me up. Spousal unit wants to come along and visit Santa Fe or Taos on the way home.

How many guys per team, 3???. Looks like we will have a "Team RMSA "from Colorado. This should be fun.

Bob Pederson
RMSA
Last edited by Soarhead00; Aug 03, 2018 at 02:57 PM.
Aug 03, 2018, 04:24 PM
I’m in! Team RMSA
Aug 03, 2018, 05:39 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarhead00
Sign me up. Spousal unit wants to come along and visit Santa Fe or Taos on the way home.

How many guys per team, 3???. Looks like we will have a "Team RMSA "from Colorado. This should be fun.

Bob Pederson
RMSA
4 is standard, 8 teams of 4 makes the 32 entries available and fits the 8 lane max suggestion Greg has posted before for F3-RES.
Aug 03, 2018, 10:06 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
I would not miss it for anything. This is the good time and the real deal. Albuquerque and the crew are awesome.

And if John Hsu is coming I can’t wait!!!
Aug 03, 2018, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudSniffer
I would not miss it for anything. This is the good time and the real deal. Albuquerque and the crew are awesome.

And if John Hsu is coming I canít wait!!!
Hahahah... youíre making me blush.....☺️
Aug 04, 2018, 11:39 AM
the icbm of pilots
I am totally in.
Aug 04, 2018, 01:46 PM
Is there RV glamping at the field? The wife loves road trips.
Aug 04, 2018, 04:40 PM
No, the Balloon Park cannot allow overnights at the field. Once upon a time, but no more.

I will look for RV parks close around. I am sure there are some, since the Balloon Fiesta brings in so many people from all over.

Yours, Greg
Aug 05, 2018, 06:28 AM
Greg,
Working on travel details from Florida. Is the someone that might accept a shipment of a couple airplanes ahead of contest to make travel simpler? Also recommends on lodging close by? Maybe PM?
John Kennedy

Quick Reply