Aug 02, 2018, 10:16 PM
Soaring free outside the box
Thread OP
Whoops!

Dream-flightAlula/Libelle kit bash!

Alula Libelle mashup,4 servo(EA) flying wing.

Objective Plank/flying wing style slope launched glider using dream-flight parts to be flown in light lift to search out thermals in the urban river valley conditions I fly in.
Last edited by pipejax; Aug 04, 2018 at 09:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2018, 12:08 AM
characters welcome!
Interesting. Should reduce the wing loading, you think?

mw
Aug 03, 2018, 12:24 AM
Thread OP
Thats the idea Mark. (new info as of post 13 weighed in at 7.2 oz (206 grams)looking for loading of easily under 4oz/ftsq)

Hope the tail has enough area to keep it from wagging to much if at all. Can always modify that to though.
Got to fill the underside voids with foam next and let it all dry.

For anyone wondering as to what I am using for filling. I am adding a pic of the two items that I have used for years on my Dream-Flight models Subterrain foam putty and polycrylic. Additional light fibre glass can be laid down for xtra durability and strength.
Last edited by pipejax; Aug 04, 2018 at 11:36 AM.
Aug 03, 2018, 10:25 AM
DS Junkie
Interesting concept. I think what you'll find is that the Libelle wing is going to need a good bit of reflex to fly without a horizontal stab. The new planform looks surprisingly good, however.
Aug 03, 2018, 04:22 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Random Guy, Not having any built in reflex in the wing will hopefully be taken care of by adding separate elevator to the wing. Not to sure where to cut? Six and a half inches looks like it will be more than enough(there are 20 and a half inches total ). I hope I can get this thing to crow brake on landing flaring the elevators up and the ailerons down at the last second to slow it down.
Aug 03, 2018, 04:55 PM
Thread OP
Ok I cut the elevators in ,or is it out. Anyways they are cut.
Aug 03, 2018, 06:47 PM
Everything is broken
That's cool. Should fly in really light lift.
I agree with Random Guy ( random guy ) that you may need to dial in a little aileron reflex . Easy to do if the elevator isn't enough.
Aug 03, 2018, 06:53 PM
Thread OP
I hope my thinking in post 5 about the reflex in the wing and using the elevator to take care of that is sound reasoning. If that is not the case I may as well abandon the project as opposed to building an overly pitchy bird. Others will know better than I.
Aug 03, 2018, 07:39 PM
Thread OP
Servo selection time yay, Lets see what works in my alula and my Libelle,Got plenty of these HS35HD's
Last edited by pipejax; Aug 03, 2018 at 08:09 PM.
Aug 03, 2018, 07:48 PM
Everything is broken
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipejax
I hope my thinking in post 5 about the reflex in the wing and using the elevator to take care of that is sound reasoning. If that is not the case I may as well abandon the project as opposed to building an overly pitchy bird. Others will know better than I.
Adding a bit of reflex with the sub-trim or camber settings on your tx will fix it if needed. I've read of people turning broken DLG wings into planks like this and they fly fine. A few test glides and you'll have her dialed in
Aug 03, 2018, 08:23 PM
Thread OP
Thanks JZVT. Nice to get some feedback from familiar Rc groupers .

Found my link from a year ago discussing this idea:http://https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2887284-alula-libelle-mashup#post37514161
Last edited by pipejax; Aug 03, 2018 at 09:14 PM.
Aug 03, 2018, 09:32 PM
Thread OP
nice Libelle conversion by droydx
Aug 04, 2018, 10:20 AM
Thread OP
Fitting the servos into the existing pockets.Glueing in the 4 control horns.An working on the push rods.Also flexing the stiffer aileron hinges wth rubber bands.
The whole build weighs in at 7.02oz/206gm with batt and servos so far...
Last edited by pipejax; Aug 04, 2018 at 11:50 AM.
Aug 04, 2018, 12:51 PM
Everything is broken
You can fold back the ailerons and sand the hinge a little if you need to loosen them up. Or cut them off & tape them if you sand too far.
Aug 04, 2018, 07:24 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipejax
nice Libelle conversion by droydx
Mine flew great with very little reflex, and I used my transmitter left side slider to adjust camber, raising the TE only on really light conditions,like when an Alula would be scratching. You may find that having seperate aileron and elevator doesnt buy you much, the biggest drawback that I had was a really slow roll rate due to the extended wingspan over an Alula, so the more aileron area, the better. They slow down well and are really light on landings, so I never missed not having crow (which is nice on something like a heavy Bluto plank).

Its a neat looking ship in the air, you will enjoy it, and a big thumbs up for experimenting andsharing your build with us!

Andy

Quick Reply