Aug 02, 2018, 07:49 PM
Thread OP
Question

DIY LED afterburner using brushed ESC?

Having tested Hobbyking 3-color LED ring afterburner systems, older Hobbyking 3/4s powered LED strip, RCGeeks centerburner systems, each has its own advantages and limitations. For one thing, those listed system are not designed for bifurcated exhaust (like in F-15, F-4).

Nowadays LED ring (Angel's Eye for car headlights) rated as 12V or up are fairly inexpensive and are bright. Also have some brushed ESC laying around from older rc models, can't help keep thinking about running those afterburner rings with brushed ESC.

I purchased 60mm and 70mm LED rings from banggood, each comes in pairs with "regulator". Here are the parameters:

60mm ring: outer diameter 60mm, inner diameter 51.5mm

70mm ring: outer diameter 70mm, inner diameter 61.5mm

https://us.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wa...sa-935755.html

Looks like the 70mm ring will fit the twin exhaust for 90mm EDF jets.

Hereafter, ESC for main power = "motor ESC", brushed ESC for LED = "light ESC"

Attempted connecting light ESC and motor ESC with Y-cable, light ESC powered by a small 3s lipo. This setup sounds work: as we throttle up, both motor ESC and Light ESC will increase power level. Brushed ESC will deliver increased voltage and current through the light, which produces brighter light. However I was able to make this work only at the beginning, later trials did not give consistent results. Also tried plug light ESC to channel 6 and set channel 6 as throttle, still not working well.
Here is the older video by Daniel:
home made afterburner for r/c jets (8 min 56 sec)
Last edited by edwen303; Aug 03, 2018 at 06:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2018, 06:40 AM
I don’t know if this would work but...

Can you separate the systems by using a second receiver? Then the lights receiver has its own power supply and the lights esc is treated as throttle.
Aug 04, 2018, 06:16 AM
Registered EDF abuser
I Have Made one using a brushed ESC for lights and Brushless ESC for Motor. Powered the brushed ESC seperatly with small 3S lipo and used brushed ESC motor wires for LEDs and Y-cable with throttle to both ESCs.

The Jet runs on 12S so LEDs need separate power supply for 12 V operation.

MVI 5772 (0 min 32 sec)
Aug 04, 2018, 09:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF
I donít know if this would work but...

Can you separate the systems by using a second receiver? Then the lights receiver has its own power supply and the lights esc is treated as throttle.
Sounds good! Have you tried setting up two receivers, each running its own ESC? Dual receiver seems very common for large RC models, but I haven't tried it myself.
Aug 04, 2018, 11:27 AM
No I haven’t. I’ve just read about guys using separate rx to run accessories like air brakes and lighting

Quick Reply