Aug 02, 2018, 04:38 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Thoughts of leaving the R/C Airplane Hobby

Dad and I've been working the Phoenix Model 1/5 Ryan STA GP/EP/Gas ARF 70.8". For some reason things have been harder then we anticipated.

This is not first model we've built and flown together. We started out putting together kits and then we did some ARFs as well.

The issue seems to be that we thought this model would go together easier then it's been going together. I have a flying season of 2 1/2 months, after that I don't have the time or energy to fly or to build. My Dad really felt that we could get this model done in about 2 or 3 weeks. For the most part we did! But then radio issues came up. I set up with an old Futuba 4 channel computer radio, and when did a range check, the radio didn't behave right. We took the radio out of the plane, and after fooling around, we got it to behave right. I hate that radio, because it's a cheap radio that you can not adjust stick tension. So did some research and ordered a new Hitec Flash 8 with an Optima 9 receiver. What you got to understand is, I got no real computer radio experience. All my other planes was flown old school, simple 72 Mhz 4 or 6 channel radios. Even my old computer radio is a 72 Mhz 4 channel, and I never touched any of the computer stuff.

It seems that the Ryan is designed for a computer radio, with the Expo told along with the throws.

This model taxi's harder then any other tail dragger I've own before. The worse tail dragger I ever owned was the hog bipe by sig. We ended up moving the landing gear forward and changing the nose weight. Even then it was a little harder then say, stinger 60, zlin 526, u can do 3d, super chipmunk, and waco bi plane. Normally I can just hold the elevator all the way up and the tail will stay on the ground. Not with this plane! At less then 1/4 throttle that tail is coming up no matter what!. I had to increase the Elevator throws just to keep the tail on the ground. Even then I got be careful slowing down or it will do a nose over. We checked and recheck the balance both on our fingers and on a balancing machine, and it balances according to instructions.

I kinda got off topic. My dad and I have been in this hobby together since 1996. For some reason lately we are having a really hard time getting along. He thinks I'm dragging my feet. He thinks I should of used the old radio system, and He thinks I'm being too picky. I just want to do things right, and all the bad things that are happening isn't my fault. But I'm getting blamed for them. Now I'm scared to make any changes that might need to be made for fear that if I make anything worst, I'll get blamed even more. I have a feeling that if I crash this plane on maiden flight, I'll get blamed even more. I keep trying to tell him, I'm just trying to get things right before we try it. But He keeps saying "You really don't want to fly this plane" :sigh I honestly don't know why we absolutely got to get this things in the air this year anyway. I agree that we should be able too. If only it wasn't for the huge computer radio learning curve. :sigh
Aug 02, 2018, 04:48 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Sorry to hear about the friction between you and your pops. Is there an underlying issue that has made relations more strained? I thought of my old man and his health issues, and how they crept up on us all. The warning signs were a change in behaviour, irritability and concentration issues.

For your peace of mind, I suggest getting pops to a doctor for a check up.
Last edited by JimNM; Aug 02, 2018 at 07:06 PM.
Aug 02, 2018, 04:52 PM
myday.. myday
Let it be for a while mate, eat a pie and do something else for a while. Things will sort out, and the inspiration about flying that immacualte golden age classic will sooner or later sneek back in to the back of your mind and you will find a sollution.
Aug 02, 2018, 04:52 PM
turn, turn, turn.
I didn't think of an health issue... Sounds like something I would check into as well.
Aug 02, 2018, 04:56 PM
myday.. myday
EDIT:

Let it be for a while mate, eat a pie and do something else for a while. Things will sort out if you try your best to be patient and be understanding to your dad, and the inspiration about flying that immaculate golden age classic will sooner or later sneek back in to the back of your mind and you will find a sollution.
Aug 02, 2018, 05:13 PM
You should sit down with him and discuss this, if that doesn't work, you can always hand him the radio and walk away for awhile.
Aug 02, 2018, 05:13 PM
DS JUNKY
Sounds like the plane was simply designed with the landing gear a little too far back. Every model has its qwerks. You might have to try to get creative and find a way to move the wheels further forward. This is all part of the hobby. As is adapting and learning new technologies. You couldn't pay me to fly on 72mhz again.

Anyway this should be a bonding activity between you and your dad don't let it get between the two of you. If you are getting frustrated just walk away for a while and come lack at it again later with a fresh head. You shouldn't ever rush aviation in any form as gravity is quite unforgiving.
Aug 02, 2018, 05:49 PM
Thread OP
Dad does have some health issues He's aware of. His hearing and eye sight isn't as good. Also He's got my Grandmothers (His Mom's) health on his mind. She's well into her 80s and we don't think she's going to make through the winter. However she's very stubborn and independent. We all live on the same farm and if she goes to a nursing home we will need to sell. If that happens I'll also loose my place to fly. She keeps trying to do things she shouldn't be doing, nor does she need to do them. But she's done them her whole life, and we tried to talk into backing off but that didn't work.

Life has just been rough lately, and I needed someone to talk too about this.
Aug 02, 2018, 07:33 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Glad you are not going to put her in a nursing home... Do whatever it takes. .. I would not want anyone to lose property because I had to be cared for.
Aug 02, 2018, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryshocc
Dad and I've been working the Phoenix Model 1/5 Ryan STA GP/EP/Gas ARF 70.8". For some reason things have been harder then we anticipated.

This is not first model we've built and flown together. We started out putting together kits and then we did some ARFs as well.

The issue seems to be that we thought this model would go together easier then it's been going together. I have a flying season of 2 1/2 months, after that I don't have the time or energy to fly or to build. My Dad really felt that we could get this model done in about 2 or 3 weeks. For the most part we did! But then radio issues came up. I set up with an old Futuba 4 channel computer radio, and when did a range check, the radio didn't behave right. We took the radio out of the plane, and after fooling around, we got it to behave right. I hate that radio, because it's a cheap radio that you can not adjust stick tension. So did some research and ordered a new Hitec Flash 8 with an Optima 9 receiver. What you got to understand is, I got no real computer radio experience. All my other planes was flown old school, simple 72 Mhz 4 or 6 channel radios. Even my old computer radio is a 72 Mhz 4 channel, and I never touched any of the computer stuff.

It seems that the Ryan is designed for a computer radio, with the Expo told along with the throws.

This model taxi's harder then any other tail dragger I've own before. The worse tail dragger I ever owned was the hog bipe by sig. We ended up moving the landing gear forward and changing the nose weight. Even then it was a little harder then say, stinger 60, zlin 526, u can do 3d, super chipmunk, and waco bi plane. Normally I can just hold the elevator all the way up and the tail will stay on the ground. Not with this plane! At less then 1/4 throttle that tail is coming up no matter what!. I had to increase the Elevator throws just to keep the tail on the ground. Even then I got be careful slowing down or it will do a nose over. We checked and recheck the balance both on our fingers and on a balancing machine, and it balances according to instructions.

I kinda got off topic. My dad and I have been in this hobby together since 1996. For some reason lately we are having a really hard time getting along. He thinks I'm dragging my feet. He thinks I should of used the old radio system, and He thinks I'm being too picky. I just want to do things right, and all the bad things that are happening isn't my fault. But I'm getting blamed for them. Now I'm scared to make any changes that might need to be made for fear that if I make anything worst, I'll get blamed even more. I have a feeling that if I crash this plane on maiden flight, I'll get blamed even more. I keep trying to tell him, I'm just trying to get things right before we try it. But He keeps saying "You really don't want to fly this plane" :sigh I honestly don't know why we absolutely got to get this things in the air this year anyway. I agree that we should be able too. If only it wasn't for the huge computer radio learning curve. :sigh
Sounds like both of you are pretty novice in the sport, no disrespect there. No need to get all hi tech with your radio gear, it wonít teach you how to fly. The notion of instantaneous piloting skills based on advertising or even a computer radio are bogus, learning to fly rc planes takes time, many many months or years regardless of the radio or plane, you are in control of the sticks and if you donít know exactly their function and how they interact with your plane exactly you are in for trouble. It is a slow process, both of you should recognize that before quarreling.
Aug 02, 2018, 08:14 PM
Quote:

At 40 years of age, it might be time to cut the apron strings, move out of the parent's house and lead your own life. That way, you can buy, build and fly at your own pace exactly the kind of planes that make you happy.
Aug 02, 2018, 09:28 PM
RC is a great hobby... but not the only activity. Another story.

I did RC for ten years and my son had reached age 10 so I started training him. The owner of the RC field where our club was flying shared that he didn't want youngsters at the field because of liability concerns so I chose to give up RC and do something else. Together we got involved in Ham radio and sailing. We bought a catamaran and camped monthly for the next many year with he and I racing together as part of activities of a local Hobie Cat fleet.

A few years later I got back into RC where many old friends were still involved. One of them asked what I'd done in the absent years and I described a good time camping out with wife and son and sailing. We lost wife and mother but had had a great time together with her those many years... it turned out to be better for us than had I stayed in RC and we'd done separate things.

She lost her life battle and son left the nest for college all the same year and I gave up Hobie racing and camping and bought a cruising boat and did that on the Great Lakes for many years and then got back into RC.. with old friends... and it has been great for the last seventeen years.

Don't be afraid to do something different... it could work out well as it did for my family for many years.
Aug 03, 2018, 02:50 AM
Thread OP
It's currently 3:30 am. I couldn't sleep so I came on here to read some of the comments.

Tomorrow I'm going to make the suggestion to my father that it would be wise not to try flying this plane this year. I have two great flying models which I flew through over 4 gallons of glow fuel this summer.

https://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1295.php

https://www.greatplanes.com/discontinued/gpma1024.php

I have photos of these two planes that I can maybe post later. I also have pictures of the older planes that I retired, that I can post as well.

The best thing to do with this plane is to have someone more experienced take a look at it and maybe even fly it the first time. But my problem is I'm not a member of any flying club. Those people who helped me get started in the hobby, back in 1996, is no longer around to help me. One guy moved to another state and the other two are dead now.
Last edited by gregoryshocc; Aug 03, 2018 at 03:11 AM.
Aug 03, 2018, 08:20 AM
Banned in Britain
The Sig hog bipe is a great flying plane.

Quote:

Aug 03, 2018, 02:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constrictor
The Sig hog bipe is a great flying plane.
That was my second plane. (1997) Even though Dad and I didn't know what we were doing, it flew great for one of the clubs old flight instructor. He was the one that told us what modifications we needed to make. Unfortunately we over thought what He said, and messed up the throws. After that I crashed the plane twice. We repaired it and put it away for many years. I think it was around 2010 we finally got the model back out and tried again. We flew it from 2010 - 2017. This time around we had things right! That model is still flyable, but I decided to retire it. Some of the wood is starting to rot around the Aileron torque rods. It could be fixed. Ideally the monokote should be ripped off and some of the wood replaced or toughen with glue. After that a little body word, and then re monokote it. I think after that it would be as good as new.

Some old pictures of My Hog Biplane. I see that the U Can Do 3D is in the background.
Last edited by gregoryshocc; Aug 03, 2018 at 04:11 PM.

Quick Reply