RadioShack Makes a Comeback with HobbyTown USA

It was announced recently that RadioShack would be teaming up with major hobby retail chain HobbyTown USA to open up RadioShack Express outlets.

Splash

HobbyTown USA Stores to Open Radio Shack Express Outlets

RadioShack used to be a great place to get electronics and tools useful for the radio controlled hobby. They were just about everywhere and open all the time, so if you needed solder, switches, or specialty items and didn't want to wait for online delivery, the Shack was where you headed. It was sad to see all the stores closing down, but they haven't given up entirely.

It was announced recently that RadioShack would be teaming up with major hobby retail chain HobbyTown USA to open up RadioShack Express outlets. The RadioShack Express outlet will take up roughly 500 square feet of retail space inside the HobbyTown stores and be stocked with items that would appeal to hobby customers. They also plan to offer services such as cell phone repair. The outlets will be staffed by HobbyTown Employees and the merchandise will be purchased by the HobbyTown franchisee. Currently it is said that roughly 50 of the 147 HobbyTown USA locations will open the RadioShack Express outlets as a trial run and it all goes well, the program will be extended out to the rest of the stores. The store in Mooresville, NC will be one of the first to get the Radio Shack treatment.

For Locations, Visit HobbyTown USA Here

Aug 02, 2018, 09:24 AM
Except for the "cell phone repair" thing, it sounds like it would be a marriage made in Heaven!

Radio Shack returning to its roots - the maker community!

Andy
Aug 02, 2018, 11:51 AM
DFS#000178
As someone who worked for a Radio Shack franchise for 12 years I watched it slowly become Cellphone Shack and then die, I'm indifferent. Our franchise closed because they demanded we order 180,000 in stock, in the middle of the year, with no credit. This coming after their forced POS software update that allowed them to reach in and change pricing. The owner of the franchise told them to come get their sign.
Aug 02, 2018, 12:06 PM
Modeling Retread
The San Antonio store put a tour of their Radio Shack section on Facebook. I was pretty encouraged by what I saw because it looked like the kind of stuff I used to go to Radio Shack to get.
Aug 02, 2018, 01:00 PM
There is a Radio shack branded store in the truck stop in Breezewood PA, just thought I would let folks know. Would be cool to see hobbytown stuff in there as well
Aug 02, 2018, 02:00 PM
Just say no to quadcopters
Will they (RS) bring back the battery of the month card that they had in the late 60's, early 70's? Doubtful LOL
Aug 02, 2018, 08:44 PM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Are not Hobby Towns USA stores on the decline?
Aug 02, 2018, 09:18 PM
Grumpa Tom
Radio Shack, then Heathkit!
Aug 03, 2018, 10:28 AM
Good for RS I suppose, it seems odd they could barely make it in a market where the whole "maker" thing exploded.

As to partnering with Hobby Town USA, success will depend on location. The one around here is a hobby shop in name only. The one in San Antonio was always pretty awesome.
Aug 04, 2018, 09:11 AM
The Tree? Yea I can hit that!
I saw that my LHS has brought in radio shack stuff and it looks like it could be a good thing. I found a few things I have been looking for for a while.
I am happy about it!
Aug 04, 2018, 12:14 PM
I worked at RadioShack on and off from the late 80s to the mid 90's when they were the best place to buy home phones, mini stereo systems, outside TV antennas etc. I remember programming lunchbox cellphones lol.

I miss having them around. Didn't they try this same idea with Sprint stores too?

And tape recorders, car radios, clock radios etc. I remember those horrible free red batteries too. I don't think selling project parts and pieces can cover your overhead but maybe this hobbytown alliance will work well.

Anyone else remember taking tests about vcr's etc and getting certifications, ordering parts from "National parts and consumer Mail". I forgot about watch batteries, record player needles and calculators.

The mall location where I worked had the best selection of cars and electronic toys I've ever seen during Christmas.

Ah memory lane.
Aug 06, 2018, 01:32 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Worked for a franchise in the mid 70s during the CB craze for several years. We had the luxury of adding market items where the RS stuff was horrible. And a lot of it was. I used to look forward to the new catalog coming out with new electronic parts. Memory lane indeed! Would be nice to have a place to get solder and small parts again.....
Aug 06, 2018, 01:46 PM
The kinds of things that I would still buy from Radio Shack wouldn't been enough to keep them open. Though I miss having a local place to buy electronic parts.
Aug 06, 2018, 01:51 PM
You'd like my office, Mel. The EEs come to visit me all the time. Lots of parts here, and a good number of the parts are decades older than they are.

Andy
Aug 06, 2018, 02:13 PM
If I need a 4.7k resistor and can't wait for ebay, I'm going to Andy's house.

Quick Reply