Oct 25, 2018, 10:07 AM
Thread OP

Wing started

After figuring out the dihedral angle (I like to research the build as much as possible before starting), I laid down the spar and cut/popped out all the wing ribs. I learned how to get the spar exactly straight from Airfield models website building tips and experience from my past builds, refining a good method for myself.

Using a good quality straight edge, the spar is pressed against that and everything held secure with magnets, then remove the straight edge and apply magnets to that side of spar. I'm using magnets to press the spar flat against the building board to start with and as ribs are installed and glued will switch to vertical presses and weights. Using a straight edge instead of a line on the plans assures a very straight wing build as sometimes plan lines can be off a bit. It's very IMPORTANT to have a straight spar as its the main building block of the wing.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2018, 09:09 PM
Thread OP

Wing ribs

Got a little done tonight. Since this is a tapered wing I couldn't just tape the ribs together and sand them to match so I carefully sanded and trimmed each rib so they would fit nicely.
Oct 25, 2018, 10:29 PM
Plane Crazy
Nice job on the ribs. I am having flashbacks trying to get those ribs punched out without breaking off the alignment tabs that were not always cleanly "die crunched". Those inner ribs were a hoot as well.

Don't lose some of the tiny aileron ribs like I did. They are easily mistaken for scrap so mark both sides before punching them out.
Oct 25, 2018, 10:45 PM
Thread OP
Yes, these ribs are super fragile, especially the rear with the really small points.

Got the other spar glued in tonight.
Oct 26, 2018, 09:00 AM
Thread OP
One note, I had to pull out the last spar, after gluing in, to get it aligned with the dg gauge, luckily I use Titebond and I had some working time. It was a little tricky to get the dihedral gauge to align perfectly with the spar as it's only about 1 deg of angle and if you don't get that very small difference between the spars you will have problems later. I love Titebond for this reason, if I used ca I would be screwed.
Oct 29, 2018, 09:58 AM
Thread OP

Shear web question?

I'm getting ready to install the shear webs, after work, and I noticed the plans and instructions show the webs with gaps on both sides. I'm used to installing webs so they are glued to the ribs and spars, but the plans and directions only show the webs glued to the spars and about a 1/8" gap between the ribs and the webs. I can't see any reason to not make the webs span all the way between the ribs and glued to the ribs, any ideas why they are doing it with gaps?
Oct 29, 2018, 10:24 AM
Plane Crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhk750
I'm getting ready to install the shear webs, after work, and I noticed the plans and instructions show the webs with gaps on both sides. I'm used to installing webs so they are glued to the ribs and spars, but the plans and directions only show the webs glued to the spars and about a 1/8" gap between the ribs and the webs. I can't see any reason to not make the webs span all the way between the ribs and glued to the ribs, any ideas why they are doing it with gaps?
I am like you and like my sheer webs a perfect fit against ribs. I pondered the same question at the time and thought it was either the next nominal sheet size or to eliminate cutting, or buffer for slight misalignments, but now that you point out the G1 issue it makes me think that if all your ribs had a 1degree offset it wouldn’t be much fun cutting all those trapezoids.

I used a different sheet of balsa and cut my own. Just make sure the grain is the right direction.
Last edited by gwyers; Oct 29, 2018 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Spelling
Oct 29, 2018, 11:32 AM
Thread OP
AHH, that's right, they only give you 3" wide sheeting and if the gap is more than that then that would explain the spaces. I will measure and check it out when I get home, I may have some 4" laying around..,
Oct 29, 2018, 12:36 PM
Thread OP
Yup, the bays are wider than 3", so that explains the gap. I cant find anyone having issues with this, so I will build as designed.
Oct 29, 2018, 09:08 PM
Slopin Eh!
I've got one of these kits and fiberglass cowls hidden away....I'll be watching this build for sure.
Oct 29, 2018, 09:37 PM
Thread OP
I found an issue while gluing in the R1 and R2 ribs. Great Planes designed this so the wing joiners will fit between the R1 and R2 ribs, so when you glue them in you only are gluing in little tabs (circled in the picture) that will be cut out later when joining the wing. When you cut these out the top spar will be unsupported, which is no big deal, but if you have any spring or preload on the spar like I do to line things up, it may come out of alignment. So, I glued in a little balsa stick (arrow pointing to it) to reinforce and hold things in alignment until the day comes that I glue (epoxy) the wing together. This added no weight but will stabilize the spars in that spot and it's easily removable later if it becomes a problem itself.

I don't really like how they designed this center section as it is very fragile when building, but it will be very strong after assembly, so I guess it works.
Oct 30, 2018, 09:06 AM
Thread OP

Shear web install

I was trying some different methods to get the shear webs glued in tightly and came up with a good easy one, using 123 blocks and clamps with Titebond.
Oct 30, 2018, 10:34 AM
Yep that will keep them tight nice job so far nhk!!
Oct 30, 2018, 03:55 PM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhk750
..............................., using 123 blocks ..................
What are these?
Oct 30, 2018, 11:47 PM
Thread OP
123 blocks are steel blocks machinists use to square up equipment and parts, we use them for weights and squaring also and other stuff.

123 Blocks on Amazon

Quick Reply