Oct 01, 2018, 05:53 PM
I just want to go fly!
That’s not cool. Bummer.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2018, 08:17 PM
Thread OP
Its all good, because they gave me enough die cut parts to build another wing if I ever need to and it was only $25 worth of sheeting to replace the missing parts, so no too bad. It was much better than the die cut parts missing as they are no longer in business...

The official build start was today and I did glue one part together, we just got back from camping yesterday, so not much progress today. The Fiberglass Specialties cowl showed up today (after only ordering it 4 days ago), and it looks great, as usual.
Oct 03, 2018, 07:59 PM
Thread OP
Making some progress on the horizontal stabilizer. The tail feathers are all scratch built with no die cut parts and actually the first time I have scratch built balsa and it is pretty easy so far.
Oct 03, 2018, 09:23 PM
Plane Crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhk750
This guy has a nice way to cover planes. A vinyl cutter does cost $250 though, but really cool.
How to cut Ultracote with a vinyl cutter.
I've gotten some good use out of my wife's Cricut vinyl cutter. It does a nice job cutting monokote, ultrakote, chinakote, etc. As a matter of fact, the stars on the tail and wing of my Extra 300 (photos in previous post) were cut by my wife's vinyl cutter.

I simply remove the backing and stick the covering to the tacky cutting board and run it through the machine. Works great.

I also hacked three inches off the front of this GP Ugly Stik to handle the extra weight of this 20cc. I didn't have matching red monokote, so I added the extra bars and wavy pattern on the nose, both printed by my wife on the Cricut.
Oct 03, 2018, 09:26 PM
Plane Crazy
Nice start so far!

Where did you get your metal build board? I've always wanted one, but the startup costs have been cost prohibitive.
Oct 04, 2018, 09:23 AM
Thread OP
I would love try a Cricut cutter for covering cuts. Maybe I should get one for my wifes xmas present...lol.

I got my steel building board from a metal fabrication cutting company. I work on their forklifts and they gave it to me, but I don't think the metal costs too much. The latch magnets aren't too expensive, but the wood fixtures are an investment, like any quality tool. Building with magnets is amazing, no more poking holes in the wood and easily move things around, makes building fun, fast and easy.
Oct 06, 2018, 12:42 AM
Thread OP
Horizontal stab framed up and ready to sheet, after a quick sanding.
Oct 09, 2018, 09:47 PM
Thread OP

Slow progress

I am going slow as molasses on this build, but got the HS sheeted finally.
Oct 12, 2018, 11:52 PM
Thread OP

Elevators

Working on framing the elevators up and been so busy lately moving slowly. I received all the lumber (balsa sheeting) from National Balsa and I should have enough to finish the build now.
Oct 14, 2018, 11:55 AM
Thread OP
Got the Elevators built and just need to shape all the edges and hinge, but first I will build the fin and rudder.
Oct 14, 2018, 04:42 PM
team sleprock
looking sweet!

keep up the nice work!
Oct 15, 2018, 09:47 PM
Thread OP
Got the fin framed up and ready to sheet. The fin is sheeted completly but the directions were not entirely clear here, so I looked at pictures of other builds and figured it out. The sanding jig has been very valuable during the stick building of the tail feathers.
Oct 17, 2018, 09:32 PM
Thread OP
A little update on the tail fin. Since the kit was short a bunch of sheeting, I purchased some 6" wide 1/16" sheeting from National Balsa instead of gluing two 3" sheets together as the directions suggested. The 6" sheeting was only $2 for a 24" sheet so might as well try it. The 6" sheeting is actually 3 pieces of balsa glued together, most likely they glue together large pieces of balsa then mill 1/16" sheets from that. It is very flat and smooth and looks like it will work well. I got started on the sheeting tonight and will let it dry completely (with weight on it keeping it flat) overnight before I trim and do the other side as I use Titebond II and this will help reduce any warpage from the moisture in the Titebond drying.
Oct 18, 2018, 11:38 PM
Thread OP
Finished the fin, now just need to build the rudder then cut hinges and sand edges round. Then I decide to start on the wing or the fuse, I really want to work on the fuse but you need the wing to do some finish work on the fuse, but the fuse is the meat of the conversion project and I can hardly wait to get busy with that.
Oct 19, 2018, 01:36 AM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyers
................................, then mounted the gear to the fuse with wing bolts through tapped holes. The bolts broke and nothing else.
Were those bolts nylon or steel?

Quick Reply