Sep 13, 2019, 12:04 AM
Thread OP
The directions want the cg at 4 1/8" from the wing leading edge and I'm at around 4 1/4" with the cg machine, so I will fly it at this and see how how it goes. I like my planes a little tail heavy anyway and when I use my fingers to check the cg it is right on the marks I made at 4 1/8", so I'm confident it's good to go at this point.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2019, 06:25 AM
I just want to go fly!
Sounds good
Sep 13, 2019, 10:09 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Walt, cant wait to see your boat fly soon!
Sep 14, 2019, 06:55 AM
I just want to go fly!
I’m going to finish covering the wing this morning and then I’m just waiting for my decals and some trim stripes and a final cg check. Super close.
Sep 14, 2019, 05:50 PM
Thread OP
Did some Watt testing, power systems test, range check and final control surface adjustments today. On a half charged 6s its putting out around 1,700 watts at 77amps, about 186 watts per pound so it should fly.. It’s maiden ready, but not I just yet. It was hard to get a pic of the watt meter, lots of thrust and wind coming off the spinning blades of death near my head.
Oct 10, 2019, 09:02 AM
Thread OP
Our weather and my free time is causing a maiden delay, but the Extra is all ready for flight and I will update this thread when I finally fly it.
Oct 11, 2019, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhk750
Our weather and my free time is causing a maiden delay, but the Extra is all ready for flight and I will update this thread when I finally fly it.
If we get lucky and get 70s and clear skies end of October like a few years ago you are in luck! The snow in the mountain passes tells me that might not be the case though....
Oct 11, 2019, 07:32 PM
I just want to go fly!
I posted a video on my sealane maiden flights on my build thread. Worked out great! You can get pictures after the test as it normally repeats the screens over and over after the test. at least mine does.
Nov 01, 2019, 10:08 PM
Thread OP

Maiden time!

Maiden eve is upon us and the weather will be perfect tomorrow with dry grass, mild temps and wind around 5knots. I was pleasantly suprised when I test fitted the Extra in my F-150 tonight and it barely fits with about 4mm on each side to spare without having to take it apart. I really like transporting planes when I dont have to take the wing off. My camera batteries are charging and my friend may help me shoot video tomorrow so I will post up a video when done.
Nov 02, 2019, 06:52 AM
Good luck!!
Nov 02, 2019, 08:14 AM
I just want to go fly!
Good luck. I don’t like taking the wings off either
Nov 02, 2019, 07:49 PM
Thread OP
Well, it flys great, but I had an issue on landing and lost it below our plateau landing strip resulting in some repairable damage. Not serious, but it will take me a few weeks to repair. Iím really bummed out, but itís another learning experience and thats why I built this, so itís all good. I have video and will put together a maiden vid. I was also really nervous on this maiden and that didn't help matters. It is extremely responsive and needs expo, plus a little tail heavy so the plane was outflying me and I had a hard time keeping up with it. It certainly lives up to the Extra name as a high performance aerobatic machine.

The landing gear sheared of at the plastic bolts as designed and saved major damage to the fuse, but the fuse did suffer some structural damage and the wing has some minor damage where the wheel pants punctured it.
Nov 03, 2019, 12:44 AM
Thread OP
Maiden crash video

191102 Extra 300s maiden video and crash (3 min 52 sec)
Nov 03, 2019, 12:45 PM
I just want to go fly!
wow! that crash looked like a tip stall and total destruction! you got lucky. so happy for you. i always have dual rates set up so on maiden i can reduce travel to make it more mellow if your caught off guard. tail heavy is no fun either. glad you can fix it. i would have wanted to cry too. keep us posted. walt
Nov 03, 2019, 07:50 PM
Thread OP
Ya, total tip stall, to slow, to much bank angle on base to final turn and landing on the opposite side of runway were all mistakes I made from not thinking...Live and learn right? At least I did manage to level it out as it crashed and that is what saved it from a total. As it is though, I will have some substantial repairs to perform, but that is OK as this will be the first real balsa plane repair that I have had to do and need to learn to do.

Quick Reply