Aug 13, 2018, 04:45 PM
Thread OP
I looked at the gear and mounting and I plan on beefing it up a bit as others have voiced concerns on the subject and it does look pretty weak with only two little screws holding it on.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2018, 02:15 PM
team sleprock
the gear mounting isn't that bad, it is designed ta fail before tearing the mounts out.

the only problem I really had, was soliding up the screw holes, after pulling the landing gear out more then a few times! (getting kocky while landing)
this plane lands like a feather when done right! I can drag my rudder for a few feet before touching the mains!
Sep 25, 2018, 08:10 PM
Thread OP

The Extra has entered the build room!

The Extra has officially entered the build room and I will start building it shortly. Somehow all these parts will make a flying machine...
Sep 26, 2018, 09:52 AM
Thread OP

Color scheme

I was looking at real life, full scale, Extra 300S models and color schemes. I may try a Red Bull design like the one pictured. It looks like you can tell orientation pretty good with this one too as the big lettering may help.

A lot of guys that have built this kit add counterbalances to the elevators too, but all the full size S models I see racing and aerobatics don't have them, so the S model doesn't have elevator counterbalances and if you add them, it's no longer an S model. Or scale like I should say.
Sep 26, 2018, 10:19 PM
team sleprock
as I mentioned earlier, I think, I built mine per plans, and the elevator had plenty of authority!

I did use 2 servo's for the elevator, one for each side, which ended up saving the plane, it was sliding out when I pulled on the ele. so I landed it, only too find out I lost a servo! but was able too fly her back with only one side! just FYI!

so you might think of getting another servo!
Sep 27, 2018, 08:50 AM
Thread OP
I'm actually thinking about getting one more servo for the elevators and make the rudder a pull pull too.
Sep 27, 2018, 09:00 AM
Thread OP
I'm looking for graphics, I found this guy Bad Brad Graphics and know about Cali graphics, but anyone know of others? Bad Brad makes complete wrap packages and they look really pro.
Sep 27, 2018, 06:45 PM
Thread OP
I haven't barely started the build and already I'm having problems. Callie Graphics said they couldn't print the Red Bull Graphics because of copyright laws and Bad Brad is recovering from a 5 week coma after heart surgery. So, I contacted Red Bull for permission to use the graphics and we will see what happens... I am just going to play video games for now until my wife comes home...
Sep 28, 2018, 11:16 AM
Thread OP

Red bull issue

Here's the reply from Red Bull... So, in the meantime, I have found a company that will sell me any size Red Bull graphics that I desire. Will that make me an outlaw if I go forward with this? Sounds cool though "Outlaw Extra 300S build" I wonder if the FBI will smash my door down and take my airplane?

Red Bull USA
Sep 28, 17:27
Hey David,
We appreciate your interest, however our logo and phrase are not available for public or individual use as they are reserved for our sponsored athletes, special events, and commercials.
Were glad you asked because using it would be a trademark infringement, yikes!
Thanks for asking and for being such a fan!
Soaring Regards,
Red Bull
www.redbull.com
#givesyouwings
Download Red Bull TV here:
http://win.gs/RedBullTVAppiOS
http://win.gs/RedBullTVAppAndroid
Sep 28, 2018, 11:34 AM
Plane Crazy
Wow.. Red Bull hands out stickers, hats, t-shirts at events, so I'm surprised they would not authorize the use of the logo for "personal" use if you agreed NOT to sell, distribute, or profit from it. Seems like it would be nothing more than free advertising for them.

Obviously Monster Energy has a different perspective than Red Bull. A few years back my son (12 at the time) sent a letter to them to use their logo on a project. A couple weeks later a legal sized envelope arrived in the mailbox containing a number of items, most of which were various sized stickers.

Personally I'd be sour that they denied my request and wouldn't consider the Red Bull theme, but if that still tickles your fancy, I'm sure the FBI has better things to do than respond to Red Bull whining about you using their logo on your private model plane.
Sep 28, 2018, 12:39 PM
Thread OP
I like the colors as I have too many red airplanes, otherwise I would build a Budweiser plane...
Sep 28, 2018, 02:55 PM
That Scorpion should give you plenty of power! That 14x9x3 will look sweet, but looking at the numbers, it actually seems more appropriate for 3D than the 15x8. Heck, for 3D I'd probably go with the MAS 15x7x3, instead. If you want to speed things up or even just do some sport aerobatics, I think an APC 14x10 or 14x12 will be worth a flight.
Sep 28, 2018, 03:14 PM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhk750
...they are reserved for our sponsored athletes, special events, and commercials...
There's the solution, right there; get them to sponsor your flying..! Now that the contact is established, and from such a friendly, 'hip' source, shouldn't be hard to get 'em to agree, if only for a symbolic dollar or so received from 'em. Ask 'em; it can't hurt..!
Sep 29, 2018, 12:13 PM
Thread OP
This guy has a nice way to cover planes. A vinyl cutter does cost $250 though, but really cool.
How to cut Ultracote with a vinyl cutter.
Sep 30, 2018, 08:20 PM
Thread OP

Shorted sheeting!

So, I was doing an inventory and marking parts and I have been shorted 13 sheets of 1/16 balsa sheeting. On the flip side they sent me an extra set of ribs and joiners to build a complete extra wing...so, win some loose some. I place an order with National balsa for $25 worth of sheeting and about $40 with shipping...

Quick Reply