Jan 08, 2019, 10:46 AM
Thread OP
Looking at past threads on this, some guys did use thicker sheeting. I will be looking at this when I get to that point in the build, but I'm at a snails pace right now because of work and other stuff...

Flipped the fuse over and got the rear bottom stringers glued in to finish the bottom shape of the fuse, just need to do some final sanding on there now. Next up is the motor box and landing gear.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2019, 11:29 PM
Thread OP
I'm getting the motor mount box assy glued together and realized I placed the firewall in upside down! Good thing you dont epoxy in the firewall until last... Anyway I used Titebond II instead of CA to assemble this and will let it stay clamped until morning. I dont like the way they had you hold everything in place and temp glue with thin CA, so I did it my way. Great Planes has some wierd ways of assembly at times as they love to use CA. THE FIREWALL BEING UPSIDE DOWN IS DRIVING ME CRAZY! But I can wait until morning to flip it.
Jan 09, 2019, 10:46 AM
Thread OP
OK, flipped the firewall and test fitted, looks good but, the die cutting of the parts isn't that precise so some final sanding and fitting will take place when I epoxy the firewall in later tonight. This plane is built using the upside down method (my first plane built this way) and It's easy to get confused if your not paying attention...
Jan 10, 2019, 12:45 AM
Thread OP
I decided to glue in some tristock gussets around the motor box as I felt the design was a little weak in that area, plus this wont add any measurable weight for piece of mind. While the glue was drying on that I worked on the firewall as much as I could before it gets epoxied in. I figured out how and where to mount the ESC, drilled some ventilation and motor wire holes in the firewall and preped the ESC mounting plate (the original fuel tank mounting plate) to be mounted. I'm happy with the ESC mounting as it gives me plenty of battery wire and the motor wires are the perfect length.
Jan 10, 2019, 10:48 PM
Thread OP
All right, got the firewall epoxied in tonight and that will be all the progress for a few days as we have a busy weekend. Hopefully get back to in on Monday...FYI, the fuse is upside down...
Jan 11, 2019, 09:15 PM
team sleprock
tri-stock, probably a good idea, if I member right, mine came loose, after I put the 20cc gasser on it!
Jan 14, 2019, 11:17 AM
Thread OP
Back at it last night, got the ESC connectors and XT90 battery connector soldered on and worked on the landing gear mounting area. My soldering iron tip is coming apart and the ESC wires were just a tad to large of diameter to fit easily into the connectors, so I always struggle with this. I end up heating and smashing the ends of the wires a bit then heat everything, push the connector and wire together and feed solder in. There must be an easier way...

Many people have had issues with the landing gear mounting on this model being weak and breaking during hard landings, so I beefed it up a lot. The plans only have two 3/4" wide rails epoxied in, so I added a 1/4" thick ply plate and a third rail, epoxied it all in and will use three 1/4 nylon bolts to fasten the gear on with. I have seen two nylon bolts break on other planes during a less than hard landing and I think 3 would help prevent this. Yes, added some weight, but I did drill some lightening holes and this is much stronger. I just need to add some bracing internally , sand off the ends, drill and fit the gear and tap the holes.
Jan 15, 2019, 10:35 AM
Thread OP
Continuing to grind away at this project, my work bench is a mess as I do three things at once...getting the landing gear bottom fuse area walled in now.
Jan 16, 2019, 10:08 AM
Thread OP
GOT THE ESC mounting sorted out, it takes a bit of fiddling to get it in there, especially once the battery tray is installed, but I'm confident it will be serviceable once the plane is assembled, if needed. Also getting the gear area nearly complete, just some sanding and drill/tapping left to do.
Jan 16, 2019, 11:31 PM
Thread OP
Got the gear all finished up and she stood on her feet for the first time tonight... I used 1/4-20 nylon bolts and for a little extra strength, I used 3 of them on the customized gear mounts.
Jan 17, 2019, 11:50 PM
Thread OP
Got the Fiberglass Specialties cowl cut and roughed in. I had to fit it first before I get into the battery access cover build. Now the motor, motor mount, spinner, ESC, and cowl part of the conversion are completed.
Jan 18, 2019, 09:11 PM
Thread OP
Got some practice with the new scroll saw the wife gave me for Christmas. I think I did pretty good for a first timer...the originals are on the bottom and the ones I made are on the top. I'm loving a scroll saw! Making some formers to brainstorm ideas for the battery hatch.
Jan 19, 2019, 09:25 AM
I just want to go fly!
The true turn spinner and three bladed prop look great
Jan 20, 2019, 12:42 AM
Thread OP
Im starting to glue some formers on and have a pretty good plan on how to make a hatch. I am installing extra formers that I made for the front and rear hatch walls. More to come...
Jan 20, 2019, 03:19 PM
Thread OP
While I'm waiting for the glue to dry, thought I would give an update on progress. I am doing this design on the fly as sometimes it's easier to visualize what I need to do as things go together. I test fitted the canopy to see where the rear former needs to be placed for the battery hatch, I have the front formers and center support glued in and am using the stringers to apply weight for gluing and also check alignment. This is what scratch building is all about I guess, but I am loving my new scroll saw which makes fabricating formers a breeze. After I get all the formers in place and the battery hatch formers fitted and figured out, I will glue the stringers in place, sheet the assembly, then cut out the hatch, after gluing in the hatch formers using pins to space them from the fuse formers. I got this idea from ARF guys that convert to electric and it seemed like it works pretty good, except I have the advantage of prepping things as I build.

The kit uses only 3 formers for this assembly without a hatch and after I am done there will be 7 formers, so there is some weight added during this part of the conversion. I am using the light ply scraps from the kit to manufacture the formers, so they are very light and strong so far. I am amazed at how well the light ply cuts with the scroll saw as when it's die cut it just crumbles, but when sawed it is wonderfully durable.

Quick Reply