Dec 27, 2018, 09:30 PM
Thread OP
Throwing everything but the kitchen sink at this so the long sides glue (Titebond II) on straight.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2018, 03:11 PM
Thread OP
Im struggling to get this fuse perfectly square as I had the left side with a small angle on the edge. But with verticle presses, clamps, and everything else I could think of I think It is getting square. We will see once the glue dries for a few hours. It seems like, no matter how hard I try, there is always a slight imperfection in the fuses I build. Probably not noticeable to anyone else and doesn't affect flight, but I know its there...
Dec 29, 2018, 07:39 PM
Thread OP
I have some custom work to do on this plane and my wife got me a scroll saw for Christmas!
Dec 30, 2018, 02:44 AM
Thread OP
Getting some work done tonight, lots of clamps...
Last edited by nhk750; Dec 30, 2018 at 02:50 AM.
Dec 30, 2018, 09:19 PM
Thread OP
Moving right along this weekend. Got the wing fitted and wing dowel disks epoxied in. The plans wanted you to CA the disks in, but I decided to epoxy them as they are nearly impossible to access after everything is built and I feel epoxy last better than CA. You just have to be really careful not to glue the wing on with epoxy as it needs to be in place during gluing.
Itís starting to look like an airplane!
Dec 31, 2018, 09:46 AM
I just want to go fly!
Love the 3 blade prop and spinner: sexy
Jan 01, 2019, 11:12 PM
Thread OP
Working on the belly pan tonight. I don't like how they designed this and I will be modifying it a bit down the line as they expect you to use covering in a fairly wide open space to make the belly pan panel and sheeting may have been more appropriate here, more on that later...
Jan 02, 2019, 07:36 PM
All Things RC
I also did not like the belly pan design. Same reason. I was surprised that after it was assembled and covered, it has been fine. Thought it was very sketchy when I was building.
Jan 03, 2019, 10:56 AM
Thread OP
I'm getting ready to glue the belly pan frame to the wing. I noticed the side plates, due to the design, have a slight bow or curve to them and are not perfectly straight (hard to see in the pic), I'm thinking it's no big deal as both sides are exactly the same. But I could try to clamp them and make them straighter, although it would be difficult to be exact. Forwardonly, did you have the same issue or is this per design?
Jan 03, 2019, 06:42 PM
Thread OP
Heres a better pic of what I was talking about, I think it looks ok and Iím going to call it good and proceed to gluing.
Jan 03, 2019, 07:22 PM
Thread OP
Glued and curing.
Jan 04, 2019, 11:02 AM
Thread OP

Belly pan progress

Working on the belly pan frame some more. the sides have a matching curve so it looks ok. If I was OCD, I would have spent more time perfecting this design, but after reading multiple threads and other input on the belly pan, everyone tends to just leave it as is or change it. I'm going to need to sand the center frame a bit to match, then finish gluing and call it good. I will just use covering (per instructions), like most guys do, as they say it holds up great. If it's an issue in the future, it's easy to work on.
Jan 05, 2019, 12:59 AM
Thread OP
Belly pan all framed up and moving on to wing bolt drilling and threading.
Jan 06, 2019, 06:55 PM
Thread OP
I'm bored with working on the airplane upside down, so I flipped her over and am looking at my battery hatch idea conversion. I am thinking I will do a similar type of magnetic top hatch like I did on the Hog Bipe conversion. This should give me a good 6 inches of open hatch space to install a nice size 6s battery. The hatch on the Hog Bipe will not come off with the 4 magnets and is very strong, so I think my design is solid. But, if anyone has any input, I will gladly take a look at it. As you see in the last picture, I will need to fabricate new formers fore and aft for the hatch and the fuse and this will add weight for sure, also a battery tray will need to be made, but that is the easy part...The added weight probably isn't much more than the gas equivalent build, at least that is what I have found on my last few conversions.
BTW, the wing is mounted and I saw no reason to use the wing bolt tubes they wanted you to glue in, but if you had shorter wing bolts it may help to guide them in and possibly keep dirt out. You can always remove the wing and get in there to clean if needed and I felt the wing bolt guide tubes were just added weight and a pain the ---.
Jan 07, 2019, 08:48 PM
team sleprock
now is the time ta address the "starved horse look"

the upper fuse, has the starved horse look, I think a few more stringers would help, or even one size thicker skin!

just something that has always bothered me!

Quick Reply