Thread Tools
Sep 09, 2018, 09:26 AM
Registered User
t00nz843z's Avatar

Visuo XS812 (XS-812W) GPS FPV Camera Drone Flight Test Review


This GPS camera drone include follow me, circle position, waypoints, and automatic return to home and landing. Mine came from GearBest.

and here is its flight demonstration
Visuo XS812 (XS-812W) GPS FPV Camera Drone Flight Test Review (19 min 5 sec)


Pros
- GPS/GLONASS allowing rapid and accurate satellite positioning and return to home/landing capability.
- HD video is recorded directly to a microSD card inserted in the rear of the camera. If no SD card is inserted, then low resolution 480p video will be recorded directly to your phone via WiFi
- Uses 802.11ac WiFi which eliminates interference with the drone's controller, allowing reasonable FPV and control range of about 200 meters.
- 3.85V 1800mah LiHV battery provides over 8 minutes flight time.
- LW FPV app provides advanced features such as tracking follow me, waypoints, and telemetry. LW FPV may be downloaded here on Google Play here and iTunes here.

Cons
- Uses 802.11ac fifth generation WiFi. Not everyone has this version of WiFi on their phone. Before purchasing, it's very important to first verify that your phone is indeed 802.11ac WiFi capable to avoid disappointment.
- microSD card slot is hidden in back of modular camera. There is no mention of the card slot or its location in the instructions. The only way that I found it was through the efforts of another YouTube reviewer (thanks Bill M - RC ).
- App got stuck in follow me mode. I had to restart the drone to exit follow me mode.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2018, 04:16 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by t00nz843z
This GPS camera drone include follow me, circle position, waypoints, and automatic return to home and landing. Mine came from GearBest.

and here is its flight demonstration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=969MiLLuk5c

Pros
- GPS/GLONASS allowing rapid and accurate satellite positioning and return to home/landing capability.
- HD video is recorded directly to a microSD card inserted in the rear of the camera. If no SD card is inserted, then low resolution 480p video will be recorded directly to your phone via WiFi
- Uses 802.11ac WiFi which eliminates interference with the drone's controller, allowing reasonable FPV and control range of about 200 meters.
- 3.85V 1800mah LiHV battery provides over 8 minutes flight time.
- LW FPV app provides advanced features such as tracking follow me, waypoints, and telemetry. LW FPV may be downloaded here on Google Play here and iTunes here.

Cons
- Uses 802.11ac fifth generation WiFi. Not everyone has this version of WiFi on their phone. Before purchasing, it's very important to first verify that your phone is indeed 802.11ac WiFi capable to avoid disappointment.
- microSD card slot is hidden in back of modular camera. There is no mention of the card slot or its location in the instructions. The only way that I found it was through the efforts of another YouTube reviewer (thanks Bill M - RC ).
- App got stuck in follow me mode. I had to restart the drone to exit follow me mode.
Well blow my cotton socks off and call me dandy, thanks for the cred on knowing it was there mate, but how did you discover those clips? well done :-) I find it strange that we may have got two different instruction manuals, but I am no Chinglish expert anyway. This craft is more promising with the teething problems getting out of the way
Sep 09, 2018, 05:02 PM
Registered User
Well, this review does (also) raise my interest in this drone, hoping/trusting the app will improve and so the additional functions like orbit and follow me will get better .
So now i am very interested in the SD-card footage, especially in 1080p/5.0M quality, but i think those are not on the market yet, but should be soon. ( or some lucky tester received one beforehand)

I do hoped battery life would be better since the xs809hw got about the same time out of 900mah and these are 1800mah's , quads are about the same size ?
Any idea of the xs809 900 mah batteries and/or the xs809S 1800 mah batteries are usable on this xs812 GPS ?
Since i have like 10 900mah's for the xs809hw, and xs812GPS batteries are not ( easyly?) found on the usual (asian) salesites.
Sep 09, 2018, 05:06 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted38
Well, this review does (also) raise my interest in this drone, hoping/trusting the app will improve and so the additional functions like orbit and follow me will get better .
So now i am very interested in the SD-card footage, especially in 1080p/5.0M quality, but i think those are not on the market yet, but should be soon. ( or some lucky tester received one beforehand)

I do hoped battery life would be better since the xs809hw got about the same time out of 900mah and these are 1800mah's , quads are about the same size ?
Any idea of the xs809 900 mah batteries and/or the xs809S 1800 mah batteries are usable on this xs812 GPS ?
Since i have like 10 900mah's for the xs809hw, and xs812GPS batteries are not ( easyly?) found on the usual (asian) salesites.
Hi Ted

Yes, this is developing & looking more promising. The XS90S 1800mah batteries are compatible with this.
Sep 10, 2018, 10:35 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Hi fellow rc pilots & rc enthusiasts

Visuo XS812 review - IOS App Test. In this Visuo XS812 review IOS App Test I use a 5G WiFi compatible iPhone 6S to test Follow-me, Waypoint navigation & Orbit or Circle mode functions.

Visuo XS812 review - IOS App Test (12 min 35 sec)
Sep 14, 2018, 05:02 AM
Registered User
I saw this video ( so not mine!) , and although it is does not mention anything new after the BILL and QC101 reviews, it is the review of the 1080p version and i do like the quality of it
( still no DJI 4k stuff with gimball and all, but still, best i have got now is the 2MP of the xs809HW )

Visuo XS812 GPS Drone Review (31 min 10 sec)


How do you like this quality of the 1080 ?
think about preordering the 1080p version, with 3 batteries, which is the cheapest @ tomtop ( 94 euro / 106 USD Free Shipping, without caskbacksite, i've found -8% at a dutch site), but expected shipment date there is 1 october ....
Have doubted a lot to buy the bugs 5w, but the foldable part makes this drone so much easier to take with you when hiking etc
Last edited by Ted38; Sep 14, 2018 at 05:21 AM.
Sep 15, 2018, 06:55 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted38
I saw this video ( so not mine!) , and although it is does not mention anything new after the BILL and QC101 reviews, it is the review of the 1080p version and i do like the quality of it
( still no DJI 4k stuff with gimball and all, but still, best i have got now is the 2MP of the xs809HW )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGdWqUYr_IA

How do you like this quality of the 1080 ?
think about preordering the 1080p version, with 3 batteries, which is the cheapest @ tomtop ( 94 euro / 106 USD Free Shipping, without caskbacksite, i've found -8% at a dutch site), but expected shipment date there is 1 october ....
Have doubted a lot to buy the bugs 5w, but the foldable part makes this drone so much easier to take with you when hiking etc
Hi Ted, thanks for sharing this, the 1080p camera is very good for a toy drone. I see that ios app was used, I wonder if he tried android?
Sep 15, 2018, 04:09 PM
Registered User
Pixelpeter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted38
I saw this video ( so not mine!) , and although it is does not mention anything new after the BILL and QC101 reviews, it is the review of the 1080p version and i do like the quality of it
( still no DJI 4k stuff with gimball and all, but still, best i have got now is the 2MP of the xs809HW )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGdWqUYr_IA

How do you like this quality of the 1080 ?
think about preordering the 1080p version, with 3 batteries, which is the cheapest @ tomtop ( 94 euro / 106 USD Free Shipping, without caskbacksite, i've found -8% at a dutch site), but expected shipment date there is 1 october ....
Have doubted a lot to buy the bugs 5w, but the foldable part makes this drone so much easier to take with you when hiking etc
That 1080p video looks pretty good and might be even better after some prop balancing to get rid of (most) vibrations, but keep in mind this was shot during a dead calm day without wind (perfect reflections in the water)

Also keep in mind that this is a quad with brushed motors while the B5W has brushless motors
Sep 17, 2018, 01:57 AM
Registered User
well, "the bullet is through the church�� (dutch saying)", i've bought /pre-ordered the xs812 with 1080p camera and 3 batteries, so now i only have to wait a month or so...... ��

i know this one has brushed motors and the 5w has brushless ones ( i also have a bugs 3), but the extra price of the 5w (or better said the cheapness of the xs812) and the 5w not having foldable arms which makes is harder to take with me on hikes and casual walks made me decide this.
Sep 17, 2018, 01:59 AM
Team WarpSquad [ L ] Learner
Too Many Toys's Avatar
Has anyone done a range test on this new version, with the Tx and Phone or both.
The XS809HW was good for around 100m or so on the Tx and only 30m if Flying with the App,
though with a WiFi extender you could get vision only, out past the Tx range.
The App seems to run on my Samsung S5, that's without a Quad as yet, so I may have to buy one
BTW do the Camera buttons actually work on the Tx on this one ? as they didn't function at all on
the XS809HW, you could only use the Phone to take Photo / Videos.
Last edited by Too Many Toys; Sep 17, 2018 at 03:54 AM.
Sep 17, 2018, 04:46 AM
Team WarpSquad [ L ] Learner
Too Many Toys's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted38
well, "the bullet is through the church�� (dutch saying)", i've bought /pre-ordered the xs812 with 1080p camera and 3 batteries, so now i only have to wait a month or so...... ��

i know this one has brushed motors and the 5w has brushless ones ( i also have a bugs 3), but the extra price of the 5w (or better said the cheapness of the xs812) and the 5w not having foldable arms which makes is harder to take with me on hikes and casual walks made me decide this.
I just ordered the same ^ ^ ^ ^, BG say shipping tomorrow, so maybe a 10 or 12 day wait is usual for me from them
I'll be interested to see if the WiFi extender I use on the XS809HW also works in this one. It does not say what
protocol it will do, IEEE 802.11"??" wireless.
Sep 17, 2018, 05:44 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys
It does not say whatprotocol it will do, IEEE 802.11"??" wireless.
Since Control is 2.4 and camera is 5.0 , so 802.11AC 802.11N or AC will be it since that is needed since (only) N & AC supports the 5.0 frequency .
(Dont know if only control is possible with a lower 802.11 version , so better make sure your phone has AC on it)

But i understand that the extender trick does work with the 2.4 frequency, a extender with (also) 5.0 frequency [b]that works[b] is not known yet ( f.e. seen/heard so in QC101 reviews, not sure if the xs812 review, or another 5g drone review ).
But i think/hope the 2.4 extender trick ( which works for your xs809) will work on the control, since control is still 2.4G)

However i prefer flying with line of sight, so no need for extender here ( or better glasses )
Last edited by Ted38; Sep 17, 2018 at 09:31 AM. Reason: corrected wrong info ....
Sep 17, 2018, 08:15 AM
Team WarpSquad [ L ] Learner
Too Many Toys's Avatar
I think my extender does 802.11b/g/n "n" can do 2.4 and 5G, and twice the range of ac (70m vs 35m) but slower speeds.
That's according to some spec info. But only testing will really tell I guess. My phone does 802.11a/b/g/n/ac.
There is a downside to the Extender. Normally when the WiFi control on the phone conks out the Quad drops to the ground.
But with the Phone as controller (+Ext) you lose control around 80 to 100m but the Video hangs in until around 200m but the
quad does not drop. So you can get a Fly-Away. With the Tx as controller you may get 100m to 150m and you can use
the phone to monitor Video only at the same time. Personally I think the Phone as controller is crap and a waste of time.
The Tx for flying is much better by a long shot.
I think if Flying (ctrl) with the Phone App, control and video are mixed and will both be 5G via WiFi.
Last edited by Too Many Toys; Sep 17, 2018 at 08:24 AM.
Sep 17, 2018, 10:18 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys
I think my extender does 802.11b/g/n "n" can do 2.4 and 5G, and twice the range of ac (70m vs 35m) but slower speeds.
That's according to some spec info. But only testing will really tell I guess. My phone does 802.11a/b/g/n/ac.
There is a downside to the Extender. Normally when the WiFi control on the phone conks out the Quad drops to the ground.
But with the Phone as controller (+Ext) you lose control around 80 to 100m but the Video hangs in until around 200m but the
quad does not drop. So you can get a Fly-Away. With the Tx as controller you may get 100m to 150m and you can use
the phone to monitor Video only at the same time. Personally I think the Phone as controller is crap and a waste of time.
The Tx for flying is much better by a long shot.
I think if Flying (ctrl) with the Phone App, control and video are mixed and will both be 5G via WiFi.
extender downside easily fixable bij pulling exterder out powerbank when fly-away is noticed ??

I agree that phone as main controller is crap, but for the additional functions good enough ?
(like "follow me" & waypoints )

I'm not so sure anymore how the functions are divided over the 2.4 and/or 5 Ghz bands, but i "thought" video and control signals were split to achieve a further range , because splitting the signals means they do not interfere with eachother.
Last edited by Ted38; Sep 17, 2018 at 04:42 PM.
Sep 17, 2018, 04:20 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys
Has anyone done a range test on this new version, with the Tx and Phone or both.
The XS809HW was good for around 100m or so on the Tx and only 30m if Flying with the App,
though with a WiFi extender you could get vision only, out past the Tx range.
The App seems to run on my Samsung S5, that's without a Quad as yet, so I may have to buy one
BTW do the Camera buttons actually work on the Tx on this one ? as they didn't function at all on
the XS809HW, you could only use the Phone to take Photo / Videos.
Hi, this is quite an upgrade to our Tarantula X6 drones I have seen some range test results and can say that this exceeds 500m and can be good for up to 750m. The issue I have with the android app is that it does not detect the wifi output signal of the camera, np with the ios app. The camera buttons on the tx work as I demonstrated in my review.

When you get yours, please let me know if you have a problem with the android app, as the supplier needs more feedback regarding this.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion VISUO XS809HW WIFI FPV With Wide Angle HD Camera High Hold Mode Foldable Arm RC Quadc siriusflier Mini Multirotor Drones 246 Oct 01, 2019 01:33 PM
Discussion VISUO XS809W WIFI FPV RC Drone With 2MP HD Camera 6Axis Headless Mode Foldable Arm On thijs slotman Mini Multirotor Drones 1 Sep 01, 2017 09:53 AM