Jul 29, 2018, 12:57 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

why the sky is blue

why you think the sky is blue?
is it because, as some scientists say, due to the refraction of particles whatever?
see: "Blue light is scattered in all directions by the tiny molecules of air in Earth's atmosphere. Blue is scattered more than other colors because it travels as shorter, smaller waves. This is why we see a blue sky most of the time. "

or because the elements that form it are blue in large amounts?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2018, 01:05 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
I think it's choking on a peach pit.
Jul 29, 2018, 01:18 PM
The explanation you quoted is supported by experiments designed to explore interaction of light with air molecules, as well as observation. Consider what the daytime “sky” would look like if there were no atmosphere... It would look like the pictures from the moon landings (if you’re inclined to believe they took place). What you see when you look at the actual daytime sky is the light being scattered by the atmosphere. The incoming light is white/yellow, and the scattered light is preferentially blue... making the atmosphere appear blue. At sunset, when direct sunlight has to pass through much more atmosphere to reach your eyes, a large fraction of the blue light has been scattered away, making the sky appear red/orange.
Jul 29, 2018, 02:08 PM
So which particles make the night sky black.
Don’t tell me it is the absence of any particles
Jul 29, 2018, 02:28 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson
Donít tell me it is the absence of any particles
It's one big gigantic particle called "Earth". It blocks 100% of the light from the sun from reaching the side of the planet that's not pointed towards the sun. Pretty amazing that something can block light like that. But we're lucky it does, or we'd never be able to get a good night's sleep.
Jul 29, 2018, 02:28 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Don’t tell me it is the absence of any particles
Take a long enough duration time lapse picture with an older film camera or a modern digital SLR and the night sky actually isn't black. Star and ground based scattered light gives it a colour after all. It's more a case of our daylight tuned eyeballs not being sensitive enough to the lower levels.

Or ask a cat what colour they see at night.
Jul 29, 2018, 03:53 PM
Grey?
Jul 29, 2018, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Donít tell me it is the absence of any particles
DARK MATTER, duh!

They say there's more of that in the Universe than Real Matter.

Just like Common Stupidity is more prevalent than Common Sense!

Andy
Jul 29, 2018, 03:58 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
But also remember, Andy, 50% of the world's population is below average intelligence.
Jul 29, 2018, 04:03 PM
If dark matter truly exists , it is likely,dark
The catch is, how do you isolate it to prove its existence
Don’t tell me math proves it, tho I suspect it suggests it
I do think some incredibly stupid things .
it doesn’t require uncommonly good sense to notice em.
Last edited by richard hanson; Jul 29, 2018 at 06:03 PM.
Jul 29, 2018, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
....It's more a case of our daylight tuned eyeballs not being sensitive enough to the lower levels.

Or ask a cat what colour they see at night.
I asked my cat, he just rolled over and yawned.
Jul 29, 2018, 05:28 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
DARK MATTER, duh!

They say there's more of that in the Universe than Real Matter.

Just like Common Stupidity is more prevalent than Common Sense!

Andy
If dark matter is as common as stupidity the Earth would long ago have run into a really big lump of the stuff and turned to dust.
Jul 29, 2018, 05:29 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
I asked my cat, he just rolled over and yawned.
Ya see? Even your cat knows that it's too silly a question for a real answer ! ! !
Jul 29, 2018, 06:04 PM
Spending too much time here
I wonder whats a matter .
Jul 29, 2018, 06:11 PM
The "dark" in dark matter is a bit misleading. Dark matter is not called such because it's dark, but because it does not interact with "normal" matter other than through altering the gravitational field. Naturally this also means it doesn't emit or reflect light, and could well not exist. Actually, in practical day to day experience it doesn't exist, except for the fact that if it doesn't then the universe is moving in a way that doesn't make sense. This haphazard use of the term "dark" for dark matter later caused astrophysicists to come up with the term "dark energy", for similar reasons, and this really is confusing.

Quick Reply