Jul 29, 2018, 08:39 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Top changes you'd like to see to the MZ 32

OK, we've all had a couple months to get accustomed to our new transmitters. I'm really enjoying the experience, but it hasn't been without some challenges. There's no doubt, the 32's a powerful piece of hardware, the level of customization is amazing but sometimes the simplest of task can become over-complicated and frustrating. I'll admit I'm not a wiz when it comes to programming, but I like to think of myself as reasonably intelligent

Here's a few things I'd like to see simplified, added or changed.

1 Switch assignments... Holy crap, there's a ton of choices (which can be good) but when it takes a 1/2 hour of trial and error just to set up a simple on/ off condition, that's a little much. Needs simplified.

2 Flap implementation needs to be simplified. I've seen a couple others on here having a problem with this. Setting flaps and elevator mix is so much easier on the Spektrum DX. A lot of my problems here are tied to the overly complicated switch assignments.

3 Timers.... How in the heck does setting up a simple 5 minute, throttle controlled, start/ stop timer become such an adventure

4 Implement an image widget that allows custom images to be added to the home screen. This seems low on the priority list but it's already in the file manager and doesn't look that hard to get going.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2018, 11:23 AM
Thanks for your input.

I cannot see how one can have difficulties setting up an on/off switch. I mean we gave the user many options to create all type of switches and it boils down to understand what it is you need. An on/off switch is a logic condition so if you understand that you should be able to set one up in 2 seconds.

Although most users have no issues with setting up flaps I will be the first to admit that this is something we can make easier which we will. If you are willing to upload your model I will be happy to look at it and maybe we both can learn something.

Throttle controlled switches can be implemented in many ways depending what you need. One way doing it is using a stick switch as shown here and the other way doing this is by making a control switch which is the better way in my opinion.

After you create the control switch (see image) you will use the same switch to start and stop the timer (see image). Total effort less than a minute.

Image widgets are on our list but there are other things that are currently worked on.
Jul 29, 2018, 11:24 AM
Double entry...
Jul 29, 2018, 05:04 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Mannie, I was being a bit facetious with the 1/2 hour on an on/off condition, my point was the switch assignments are overly complicated, especially with a three position switch. Hopefully, your next video (which I find extremely helpful) can touch on setting up switches, offset and switch values.

So far I've been using the "trial and error" method when it comes to setting up my switches. One problem I'm stuck on right now, I'm trying to set up a gas powered Ultra Stick with a crow/ butterfly wing. If I use the "Air Brake" function, I can get the flaps and aileron to function properly (tied to the throttle stick) but the throttle servo is inactive in that mode. Is there a way to activate the throttle servo when in the "butterfly" phase?

Right now, I've got crow working by tying the ailerons to the flaps in the "wing set" section. It works, but I'd like to have the throttle work the flaps/ aileron like they do in the "Air Brake" section (and still have motor control)

While I got you, in another thread I saw it mentioned that the battery that came with the MZ 32 is a HO Lipo and changing the default setting will allow the battery to charge to a full charge. When I switched the setting over to the LiHV setting I'm able to get a full charge now, just wanted to hear if this was ok and would not cause any damage to the radio

Thanks for your time
Eric
Jul 29, 2018, 07:26 PM
The switch types you will find in the mz-32 is what users really wanted and need in all type of conditions and there is more to come in the next software release.

The present air-brake function primarily addresses the needs for sailplane setups. However, it is very easy to activate the air brake function with a little trick...

Attached a model file where I mapped the throttle stick to another channel (CH8) and named it “brake” in the control set menu. The brake channel is controlled in the model types menu under the brake function column where you will see that the default is set to throttle which I changed to “brake”.

The air brake menu is now active and you can set your crow values there as you wish. I assume you will be using flight phases to ensure that the brake is not active during normal flight.

As for the battery you are good. No worries.

Good luck!
Jul 29, 2018, 08:23 PM
Thread OP
Thank you for the quick reply, I really appreciate it. Do I just load the mdl file directly to the radio through the USB file explorer?
Jul 29, 2018, 08:47 PM
Mount the radio using the mass storage and copy the file to your models folder directly from your computer.
Jul 30, 2018, 11:29 AM
Flaperons have always been unnecessarily difficult to set up and I'd like to see a simplified method. This is even more true on the other MZ radios, which pretty much require that custom mixes be used. As Mannie said, the terminology for air braking is aimed at sailplanes, which really confuses people like me who only fly powered planes. It would be nice to have an extra selection in the Air Brake menu to cater the terminology and functionality to the type of airbrake being set up.

On a more minor note, the help for sequencers needs to be updated to cover sequence switches. They are not covered in any documentation I've found, and they're the only practical way to do a time-delayed control.
Last edited by TheBum; Jul 30, 2018 at 11:34 AM.
Aug 05, 2018, 02:49 AM
RC Dinosaur

Additions..

Since you've asked for input, the thing I would like to see, if there is space in the OS for the Radio, is a second set of Telemetry Widgets, similar to the MZ-24. I really like the GUI for the Speed Control Screens, and the Battery Screens that I see in the Documentation for the Components, which are Screen Shots of the Components in the MZ-24 Screen. When I go to the Screen in my MZ-32, the screens are functional, and able to be completely customized, but a bit lack-luster with the Digital Outputs being only Numerical. The Fuel and Speedometer type Gauges in the MZ-24 are really nice, and great to look at! I think I've read that in the -24, there is an option for a high-viz screen, or a bright sun screen, which looks like the -32. It would be nice to select the "eye candy" Widgets in the -32 as well. I totally enjoy the flexibility of the MZ-32, and having only owned the Radio for a little over a month, I'm still learning it, but I can say that this Radio is a classy piece of equipment!

While were on the Topic of Upgrades to Software, it would be awesome to update the ESC Software to allow configuration through the Firmware Upgrade Studio. Something like a Castle type GUI, where I connect the ESC, input all of my ESC and BEC settings, to include Governor headspeeds, and click the Send Button to apply it. I'm still learning the Graupner ESC programming, but I have to admit, after using the Castle stuff for 20 years, it's much easier and more intuitive. Perhaps make the Screens in the MZ-32 Transmitter interface with the ESC with some of the same functionality. Food for thought..

And Manny, I'd like to sincerely thank you and Doug for all of the help you've given me since I've gone with Graupner. You two are knowledgeable, friendly, and completely awesome to talk to when working with a Customer! Kudos!
Aug 05, 2018, 11:04 AM
Thanks for your input.

The graphical UI the mz-24 looks great but is seldomly used. Most users prefer the character display mainly for readability and useability. Adding this to the mz-32 would consume a lot of memory resources that can be used for other functions.

Setting up and programming our ESC’s over the radio is what we consider the best option for eliminating the complexity and overhead of a computer or any other device. Developing a separate software interface will require a lot of efforts which at the end produces the same results.

It all boils down to getting used to do things differently and learn new stuff that should make life easier when using our stuf.

I do not remember when the last time was when I used a computer, smartphone or programming box to setup ESC’s, flight controllers or any other HoTT device using only my radio.

Castle or any other vendor for that matter can integrate their products with ours providing similar functionality as we do with our products.

Thanks for the compliments. We like what we are doing!
Oct 12, 2018, 05:30 PM
Paul
MZ-32 Users: How to lock out a switch, or stop the transmitter from turning on until the switch is in the correct position upon turning on the transmitter. Here the landing gear on a 4.8meter Sailplane. Any help would be awesome ! thanks!! Paul
Oct 12, 2018, 05:34 PM
I don’t recall exactly where the setting is, but you can define the power-on positions of all the switches. If you turn on the transmitter with any switches out of position, you’ll get a graphical layout of the switches on the screen with the out-of-position switches shown in red.
Oct 12, 2018, 07:31 PM
Its in the special menu under system notice.

Look for "Start Switch Position"
Oct 23, 2018, 08:16 AM
Paul
Suggestions to apply a slider to vary the thermal and speed modes?
Last edited by prayoub1; Oct 26, 2018 at 08:06 AM.
Dec 10, 2018, 06:38 PM

Voltage per cel widget

Hi,

What about a widget for voltage per cel? I can't find that one.

Thanks

Quick Reply