Nov 30, 2021, 01:48 AM
Pro Bro 415
This should make it easy.
Click Here to go to Page 127
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2021, 08:26 AM
I can fix that!
If a person like me, and maybe John, doesn't use the default number of posts per page, then page numbers are meaningless.
I have 100 posts per page, and this thread only has thirty pages for me.
The link provided, takes me to page 30.
A link to a post, instead of a page, would work better for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadt770
I'm having trouble finding this, page 127? Thanks.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McDonald
This should make it easy.
Click Here to go to Page 127
Nov 30, 2021, 09:20 AM
AMA: L68621, FCC: WA2LLX
Thanks guys

John
Nov 30, 2021, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.wagner
A link to a post, instead of a page, would work better for us.
Agreed

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1892

The other handy option is 'search this thread', then 'advanced search' ... lets you search by user name.
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Dec 03, 2021, 10:05 PM
Enjoy flying gliders at Torrey

Albatross V2 Maiden Flight

I flew my brand new V2 Albatross this morning. It did not go well………………..

Straight up, then straight down!!!!!

I would recommend that you put the 4S battery almost all the way forward. There is a huge space for the battery, but it needs to go forward. After my (splash), I took out the RX, dried it off and after a couple of hours tried it again. The only thing that busted was the right prop. Replaced the prop, rebound the RX and went to medium rates on the elevator. Also adjusted the elevator more down . The plane is extremely pitch sensitive!

I flew it five times after the first fiasco flight. Glad it didn’t break in half. I also added about 5 paper towels inside the cabin area near the battery and wing section where the RX is. Paper towels will “sponge” up any moisture that might get into the battery bay. I found the RX wires to the battery to be too short. I will add a short lead to make it easier to hook up the battery.

If the plane does take on water (such as after a crash), make sure you drain all the water out of it. It won’t fly with any water sloshing around in the battery bay.

I used a 4S 3200 battery pack. Plenty of power. Don’t flare too high, it will tip stall and plunge nose first into the water………

Good luck
Last edited by 3 Green; Dec 03, 2021 at 10:13 PM.
Dec 04, 2021, 02:55 PM
Half flap tames the stall a bit - I fly my V1 that way 99% of the time (from takeoff to landing). That's with a CG much further aft than the V2 manual specifies ... 80mm from the LE.
Dec 04, 2021, 03:56 PM
Diver-driver
as any waterplane (also the full size) you will get the best results by flying down to the touchdown and setting it down at minimum sinkrate instead of a stalled landing.
the attitude for that is greatly improved with flaps
Dec 05, 2021, 12:18 AM
Enjoy flying gliders at Torrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
Half flap tames the stall a bit - I fly my V1 that way 99% of the time (from takeoff to landing). That's with a CG much further aft than the V2 manual specifies ... 80mm from the LE.
Yup,,, i flew mine with 1/2 flaps, still experienced tip stall
Dec 05, 2021, 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Green
Yup,,, i flew mine with 1/2 flaps, still experienced tip stall
As you found it is pretty sensitive on elevator ... I cut the throw down and also use 35% expo. (25% on aileron). The more forward CG specified for the V2 should make the elevator less touchy though - where was yours balanced?
Dec 05, 2021, 11:02 PM
I review RC Products
I got my maiden flight in today and wow!

Maiden Flight - HobbyKing Avios Albatross HU-16 V2 US Coast Guard Flying Boat (6 min 12 sec)
Dec 06, 2021, 11:05 AM
JohnVHRC
Not sure how you guys are stalling this thing, are you trying to fly too slow? Pulling a ton of elevator and doing an accelerated stall? This plane flies so good Im surprised you guys are struggling with it. Airspeed is life.
Latest blog entry: Bennu! GoGo Bird Review
Dec 06, 2021, 01:06 PM
Quote:
I agree, half-flaps have saved the day! At least on the v1.
Dec 06, 2021, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVH
Not sure how you guys are stalling this thing, are you trying to fly too slow? Pulling a ton of elevator and doing an accelerated stall? This plane flies so good Im surprised you guys are struggling with it. Airspeed is life.
For sure you can fly it like an F-15 and never have to worry about the stall. But it's a scale(ish) model of a slow flying full-size, and many people want to try and fly it in as scale a way as possible ... using the flaps helps with this.

I've only stalled mine once, on the maiden flight. I'd added a little up trim 'just in case', whereas it actually needed a significant amount of down. I got distracted while trying to sort this out (the trim step setting on the transmitter was accidentally on 'fine', so it didn't feel like the trim was doing anything), it was a windy day and the elevator was very twitchy. Anyway I let the nose get too high while trimming it out and it dropped a wing (flaps up). As mentioned it's more benign with half flap.
Dec 06, 2021, 01:47 PM
JohnVHRC
Quote:
For sure you can fly it like an F-15 and never have to worry about the stall. But it's a scale(ish) model of a slow flying full-size, and many people want to try and fly it in as scale a way as possible ... using the flaps helps with this.

I've only stalled mine once, on the maiden flight. I'd added a little up trim 'just in case', whereas it actually needed a significant amount of down. I got distracted while trying to sort this out (the trim step setting on the transmitter was accidentally on 'fine', so it didn't feel like the trim was doing anything), it was a windy day and the elevator was very twitchy. Anyway I let the nose get too high while trimming it out and it dropped a wing (flaps up). As mentioned it's more benign with half flap.
So would you call this flying it like an F15? I fly scale mainly, with scale planes, except for a few fun maneuvers, so Im just trying to figure out what others are doing to stall this out. Next time out Ill purposely try to stall it, to see how it does. I should fire up my V1 and compare the two, purposely trying to stall them.

RAINY MAIDEN FLIGHT Hobbyking Avios Grumman HU-16 ALBATROSS V2 1620mm (4 min 1 sec)
Latest blog entry: Bennu! GoGo Bird Review
Dec 06, 2021, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVH
So would you call this flying it like an F15?
I wouldn't call it particularly scale flying (understandable for a maiden). I don't recall the full-size having 'unlimited vertical'

Bear in mind that the V2 is lighter than the V1, and HobbyKing now specify a significantly more forward CG position. Both of these will help tame the stall a bit.

I fly mine pretty conservatively (it's still way too fast for scale), and rarely use more than about 60% throttle ... even for takeoff:

Avios HU-16 Albatross, October 2020 (1 min 19 sec)

Telemetry log of this flight (throttle usage) attached below:

Quick Reply