Nov 20, 2019, 09:09 AM
Very nice pictures George. I fly my “sea”planes from a fresh water lake but I live close to some beautiful coastline so I’d like to try flying from seawater too. Do you rinse off the motors before you apply the WD40?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2019, 09:24 AM
Not only the motors.... the whole plane before the sea water get dry!
Last edited by e-george; Nov 20, 2019 at 10:03 AM.
Nov 20, 2019, 03:11 PM
Right thanks! I like the idea but I might try it out first with an old Dynam Catalina I’m not quite so worried about.
Nov 20, 2019, 06:40 PM
I received mine the other day and have opened it and inspected it and must say, as reported by others, this is one of the nicest models I've seen. Details, paint and foam condition are exceptional. This is my first Avios model and I'm fairly certain there'll be others.

I was looking over my 4S battery supply and have a number of 2200's & 5000's. I notice most seem to be using 4000' so I have a choice of my 5's or paralleling 2200's. Any opinions on that?

I plan on flying off snow this winter and am debating the differential thrust. I'm not sure how to do this with my DX8.
Nov 21, 2019, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19000rpm
I received mine the other day and have opened it and inspected it and must say, as reported by others, this is one of the nicest models I've seen. Details, paint and foam condition are exceptional. This is my first Avios model and I'm fairly certain there'll be others.

I was looking over my 4S battery supply and have a number of 2200's & 5000's. I notice most seem to be using 4000' so I have a choice of my 5's or paralleling 2200's. Any opinions on that?
It is a lovely model. I'm just putting together a B-17 from HK though and that does have a couple of things that would have been nice on the Albatross e.g. the servo cable runs in the wing are taped over before spraying, and it has more realistic (split) flaps. It's also arguably better value for money ... it's not an awful lot more expensive, but it's bigger (1875mm) with 4 motors/ESCs, decent retracts, loads of scale details (proper glazed windows, turrets, dummy motors, etc.), two sets of really nice decals ...

On the battery for your HU-16 I'd be inclined to use the 5000 - it might even be lighter than a pair of 2200s plus a parallel harness. Having removed the (very non-scale) water rudder I need my 4000 pack as far back as I can get it though, so be aware that balancing may be an issue with more weight up front. I'm sure it would fly quite happily a bit nose heavy though.

Incidentally the B-17 comes with a harness to use two parallel 2200 packs or a single 4000(ish) one, although that flies on 3S rather than 4S.

Which reminds me ... someone here has successfully flown the Albatross on 3S, so if you already have any 3S packs in the 4000-5000 range that would be an option. On 4S the Albatross has loads of power - I rarely go over 60-65% throttle on mine, including takeoff.
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Nov 21, 2019, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the info Bill. I'll probably use the 4S 5000's then. I like having available power even if I don't use it often.

I've seen a lot about a 80 mm CG measured from the leading edge. What's working for you?
Nov 21, 2019, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the info Bill. I'll probably use the 4S 5000's then. I like having available power even if I don't use it often.

I've seen a lot about a 80 mm CG measured from the leading edge. What's working for you?
I use 80mm - that works fine.

The duration is pretty good - I can get about 20 mins of scale type flying on 4S 4000 (with around 20% remaining).
Nov 21, 2019, 09:43 AM
We'll set the CG at 80 mm then.

Are you using differential thrust? I'll fly at least 60% of the time off of grass or snow and the remainder off water. Having other float planes, a water rudder is a definite advantage, but differential thrust would eliminate that requirement.
Nov 21, 2019, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Are you using differential thrust? I'll fly at least 60% of the time off of grass or snow and the remainder off water. Having other float planes, a water rudder is a definite advantage, but differential thrust would eliminate that requirement.
Yes I use differential thrust on both grass and water, and turn it off in the air. I removed the whole water rudder assembly during the build (and used the servo to drive the other elevator instead, giving some redundancy). I only use 15% rudder in the throttle mixer, which is plenty.
Nov 21, 2019, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
Yes I use differential thrust on both grass and water, and turn it off in the air. I removed the whole water rudder assembly during the build (and used the servo to drive the other elevator instead, giving some redundancy). I only use 15% rudder in the throttle mixer, which is plenty.
That water rudder isn't pretty it will be nice to do away with that.
Nov 21, 2019, 01:02 PM
Quote:
That water rudder isn't pretty it will be nice to do away with that.
Yup, that and the over-sized fin are the two most obvious deviations from scale. As a compromise I cut my fin down to the top rudder hinge, which at least allows the tip to be re-shaped to a better profile.

IIRC the water rudder mechanism and pushrod weighed around 40 grams, so a useful weight saving there. Plus the servo, if you don't re-use that.
Nov 21, 2019, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Yup, that and the over-sized fin are the two most obvious deviations from scale. As a compromise I cut my fin down to the top rudder hinge, which at least allows the tip to be re-shaped to a better profile.

IIRC the water rudder mechanism and pushrod weighed around 40 grams, so a useful weight saving there. Plus the servo, if you don't re-use that.
Nice job on the rudder profile. It definitely looks more scale.
Nov 21, 2019, 01:58 PM
Thanks. On the fin shape/size RCGroups member 'pmisuinas' drew up a good comparison of the dimensions a while back:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=814
Nov 21, 2019, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Thanks. On the fin shape/size RCGroups member 'pmisuinas' drew up a good comparison of the dimensions a while back:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=814
Thanks, that was helpful.
Nov 21, 2019, 02:22 PM
Interested in reducing/reshaping the fin on my Albatross this winter, did you notice any aerodynamic effect from the slightly reduced area? Did you find a paint that matched or did you mix something up yourself?

Quick Reply