Sep 14, 2019, 11:25 AM
Nice still September evening at the lake.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2019, 12:24 PM
Lower AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool
It has flown at NEAT Fair, and will likely fly again this weekend, then once I bring it home I can tinker with differential, test and replace servos as needed, etc.

Tom at HK booth really liked it.
It looks Cracking, I want this badly but have to wait a little bit, need to go to a play or something the wife really wants to do first. Have seen it flown in person on grass and it was fantastic looking.
Jeff...
Sep 15, 2019, 05:57 AM
Managed to get out early this morning for a quick session with the Albatross - looking nice in the sun A bit of differential throttle taxiing at the end.

Avios HU-16 Albatross - grass ops (1 min 15 sec)
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Sep 15, 2019, 06:08 AM
Very nice
Sep 15, 2019, 11:51 AM
Thanks Mark. Looking at the video it's amazing how noticeable a tiny thing like painting the wheel hubs is ... and having the anti-glare on the nose in black rather than grey. I also just fitted a second set of dummy motors (in new cowls) as I was never entirely happy with my first ones More detailed prints, no back halves this time, sprayed graphite rather than silver, and very slightly further forward in the cowls.
Sep 15, 2019, 12:28 PM
Yes these extra details look great on your plane Bill.
I’ve promised myself that I will give mine a makeover during the winter, including an upgrade to the elevator servo as I recall you have also done.
Sep 16, 2019, 12:50 AM
Pro Bro 415
Test flew my Albatross today off of grass, but without the tip floats. Lipo was a 4S 3300. It flew great! VERY impressed with this plane!

I didn't glue the stab and fin as shown in the manual due to several comments I've read in this thread. They are simply held with the two screws. Has anybody who didn't glue the tail surfaces experienced a tail failure? Or should I go back and glue them?

Also the metal wing spars in mine are straight and don't create any dihedral. I've seen comments in this thread about installing them upside down, but does it really matter? I can't find any info on whether the point at the center of the metal spar should be on the top side, or the bottom.
Last edited by Dave McDonald; Sep 16, 2019 at 12:56 AM.
Sep 16, 2019, 06:10 AM
The aluminium wing joiners are a very shallow V shape - not obvious unless you look hard. They install with the point in the centre facing downwards, so the outer wing panels are angled up slightly from the centre section.

On the tail surfaces ... I think I'd be inclined to glue the tailplane on but just secure the fin with the screws.
Sep 16, 2019, 04:06 PM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
That is what I did... A Little glue on the horizontal, but no glue on the vertical.
Sep 16, 2019, 05:33 PM
Pro Bro 415
Gluing the horizontal tail makes sense. I'll change that.
Sep 17, 2019, 12:13 AM
Give careful thought on how you might be able to get to the servo connector in case you ever need to replace the air rudder servo like it had to. Unfortunately I followed the instructions (which I almost never do) and glued everything in place. What a huge mistake THAT was.
Sep 17, 2019, 12:27 AM
Pro Bro 415
I did end up gluing the horizontal stab to the fuselage, but only used the screws to attach the fin. This will make it easier to access the rudder servo connector if necessary.
Sep 17, 2019, 05:57 AM
Lower AL
showing in stock USA
Jeff...
Sep 18, 2019, 12:39 PM
Aussie freezing in Holland
Bill Glover;42742721]
Managed to get out early this morning for a quick session with the Albatross - looking nice in the sun A bit of differential throttle taxiing at the end.

getting too cold for boating so maybe its time the bring Alby home and try her on the grass too.
Sep 19, 2019, 12:48 AM
Are you going to try it on snow???

Quick Reply