Jul 21, 2019, 08:12 PM
Plane crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
I still think just cutting the servo wire here and soldering another 9g servo to it would be the quickest/easiest option
I usually do that when the servo wire is deep inside the foam and inaccessible. Or crimp a pair of connectors.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2019, 08:29 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
I actually think replacing the gears would be easier and cleaner
Jul 22, 2019, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon
Use the gear set from the water rudder servo (same servo) and then replace the water rudder servo if your still using it? Much easier servo to replace and access..

Or for that matter the elevator servo and replace it with a better one...I did, I installed a 17g servo on my elevators and replaced the 9g.
That is exactly what I ended up doing. I installed a Hitek HS55 in the water rudder position.
The really sad thing is that the thing I wanted to avoid the most was cutting into the fuselage under the stab was needed anyway. The air rudder servo lead on mine was only 3-4 inches long so when I was prying the servo out of the vertical stab, I apparently unplugged the servo lead.
Oh well, poo happens but it is done and working properly now.
My next mission is to put differential thrust in there.
Thanks for all the good commentary and suggestions.
BTW, Hobby King was 100% useless in helping me get a replacement servo.
Jul 26, 2019, 01:24 PM
Got in a couple of flights yesterday evening.
(4 min 43 sec)
Jul 26, 2019, 08:49 PM
Nice flights there Jim..For a while there I thought you were NOT coming out of that spin...
Jul 26, 2019, 11:56 PM
Very nice indeed.
What camera are you using and where / how are you mounting it?
Thanks
Jul 27, 2019, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM
Very nice indeed.
What camera are you using and where / how are you mounting it?
Thanks
Thanks.

This was shot with a Mobius Mini. It was placed on the end of the horizontal stab and top of vertical stab using tape. I have vinyl wrapped the areas where I attach the camera so I don't have to worry about the tape pulling up paint each time I want to use a camera on a flight.
Jul 27, 2019, 10:52 PM
Thanks for that info. I've been using a Mobius for years and for the money, it is unbeatable.
Jul 30, 2019, 08:11 AM
Aussie freezing in Holland
Finally got a few flights in while away on the boat.
Now put away because the wind is picking up again. First it was too bloody hot to fly. Then rain. Now wind.
Jul 30, 2019, 08:29 AM
a few loops and rolls. a bit inverted, still getting used to Takeoff and Landings
Avios Albatross 2 (9 min 27 sec)
Jul 30, 2019, 09:11 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Starting plan of attack on repaint, going to have to prime most of it a very light grey and start fresh I'm afraid. never done this before, but since the tail needs to change from all dark grey to light grey and red, I don't see much of a way around it.

Cowls are similar, I need light grey and they're a pretty dark grey. I assume the powertrain has enough grunt to not notice a couple ounces, though I may end up needing some nose weight to get CG if I'm not careful enough with tail weight from paint.
Jul 30, 2019, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool
I assume the powertrain has enough grunt to not notice a couple ounces, though I may end up needing some nose weight to get CG if I'm not careful enough with tail weight from paint.
There's plenty of scope to move the battery forward, in fact if you remove the water rudder assembly (as many do) you need the pack pretty much as far back as you can get it. So it should be fine I think.
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Jul 30, 2019, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
There's plenty of scope to move the battery forward, in fact if you remove the water rudder assembly (as many do) you need the pack pretty much as far back as you can get it. So it should be fine I think.
Agreed. A bit of paint ain't gonna make much difference to this bird.
My 4500 4s is still far back in the bay without water rudder and 10grams of weight in the tail
Jul 30, 2019, 04:47 PM
Canadian down south!
I agree as well. Mine has a complete repaint over the surface with the water rudder removed, cockpit detailed and my battery sits pretty much back as far as it goes under the strap.

Just waiting on the walkway surface decal from Callie before I maiden and post photos. I sent detailed measurements but first two sent are incorrect. Hopefully 3rd time is a charm!! I think she is being kept extremely busy and rushed by the FW 90mm F-18 orders.
Aug 01, 2019, 05:00 PM
Albatross! Aaallbatross! Pelican bon bons....

Quick Reply