Jun 12, 2019, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
Good warning about the sun, although less of a problem here in the UK I guess it can get pretty hot where you are ... my wife's family are about 50km down the A8 (Rutesheim), and it hit 40C when were there one year
Wow, 40° C is unusual and not very comfortable anymore. We usually have 20 - 30 "Heat days" a year (30° C or more) and that's enough to turn some foam into popcorn
to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2019, 07:11 AM
Yep it was August 2015, there was an 80kph speed limit everywhere as the road surfaces were being affected. Luckily I didn't have any planes with me
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Jun 12, 2019, 09:13 AM

Location of Lipo and Receiver - Albatross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 2
Here’s where I put mine, also made up a simple splash guard to protect it from water dripping off the hatch when I remove the battery.
Black pen mark is where the front of my 4500mAh battery comes up to.
Thanks Mark2! That's what I was looking for; very helpful.
Jun 12, 2019, 11:03 AM
I have the receiver on the foam platform next to the servos - once bound you shouldn't really need to access it. The Lipo position depends a fair bit on whether you remove the water rudder assembly - if you do then the pack needs to go further back. Mine has the strap around the very front of the pack (4S 4000), and I added a second strap further back.

You can see the rear end of the pack (and the receiver position) in this picture.
Jun 12, 2019, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
I have the receiver on the foam platform next to the servos - once bound you shouldn't really need to access it. The Lipo position depends a fair bit on whether you remove the water rudder assembly - if you do then the pack needs to go further back. Mine has the strap around the very front of the pack (4S 4000), and I added a second strap further back.

You can see the rear end of the pack (and the receiver position) in this picture.
Thank you Bill. I can see your point, but I want to be able to see the status of my receiver. So I like the way Mark 2 positioned his receiver. I too am using a receiver with satellite (Admiral - Motion RC, re-branded Lemon) in my plane, so I like the position of the satellite in the bow. I also like the added touch of creating splash guard. Anyway, this has all helped! Thanks again guys.
Jun 12, 2019, 01:45 PM
No problem. I have loads of telemetry so it would be immediately obvious on the transmitter if anything was wrong ... I don't have a single model on 2.4 GHz where I can see the receiver! Some of my older ones that still use Schulze FM receivers are different as they have an LED that displays a 'glitch count' after flight. So it's useful to be able to see that when unplugging the Lipo.

As an aside I've never had any water inside the hull - the cockpit/hatch seals pretty well, with that lip that extends over the foam of the fus.
Jun 12, 2019, 09:26 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Mine is mounted on the bottom of the wing along with the stabaliser.
Jun 15, 2019, 12:17 PM
Ex RAF Techie
My decals have arrived from Callie ��
Jun 15, 2019, 12:53 PM
Very nice!
Jun 15, 2019, 02:14 PM
+1

Terry
Jun 15, 2019, 02:50 PM
Beautiful, nicely done
Jun 15, 2019, 03:07 PM
Canadian down south!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah
Looks fantastic! I'm still plodding along but did manage to get the SAR band completed yesterday.
Jun 15, 2019, 05:05 PM
3 more sucessful flights today, except this time I took it to the lake where I had access to a boat ramp.

You guessed it....taxied off the boat ramp on the LG and gear up in the water for a perfect take off and landing with taxie back up on the ramp. Yeah buddy..... absolutely loved it. Not a single drop of water leakage inside. I do need to work on the nose steering. The free castoring wheel is not cutting it like I would like. Going to a pull pull steering system. Since the battery basically has to be pushed back as far as possible under the wing, leaving pleanty of room for mounting a servo for steering. I have setup two flight modes that have different percentage rate mixes of rudder to throttle. One is for land ops whis is a much higher mix at 100 to 90 and the other is decreased greatly for water ops at 100 to 25 (rudder to throttle mix). It need more differential on the hard ground to turn and very little in the water for good controll. Cutting down the vertical fin also greatly helped with it not wanting the weather cock in the water.

She's about 2 1/2 lbs heavier that recomended, so the stall speed is a bit higher, meaning you have to ride a bit more power and speed on landing and is not as floaty as a stock one. It still flys nice a slow though.

Sorry didnt have the ability to catch it on video or pictures, was too excited over the sucessful flights and packed up and came home before it got too hot. We are now tipping the tripple digits here.

Eventually Ill get some video of her in amphibian operations my dream plane come true

80mm CG used on a 4000 mAh 30c lipo. Using slightly reduced recomended rates.

Water Baptism complete mission accomished

Now on to build the Coast Guard version
Last edited by brandonmoon; Jun 15, 2019 at 05:15 PM.
Jun 15, 2019, 05:19 PM
Also on another note. The LG does not like crabbed/side loaded landings. More than like will end up bending, breaking, or ripping something loose or off.

Definitely want the gear pointed straight forward before they make contact with the ground.
Jun 15, 2019, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah
Beautiful bird! Great job!

Quick Reply