Jul 29, 2018, 07:54 AM
71% of the world is runway . .
Thread OP
New Product

Avios Grumman Albatross

Hi All,

At the HobbyKing Live event at E.M.C.R in the Netherlands i spotted this new Hobbyking Grumman Albatross ,very nice foamy flyingboat
I wonder when it will be released.

Cheers,

Bart

Hobbyking Grumman Albatross (0 min 32 sec)
Last edited by Bart83; Mar 15, 2019 at 01:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2018, 11:10 AM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Love it!!! I'm in most definitely!!!! But will delete the water rudder and go with diferential thrust for ground control like my past ones.

Wish it had retracts, but have expected they probably wouldn't do one with them, so I've pre-made my own for incorporation later
Jul 29, 2018, 11:23 AM
I think? This plane has correlation to some privy discussion I told about a while back from someone?
Jul 29, 2018, 11:37 AM
Fly and let Fly!
Yeah, this one works for me (initially) Will see as time goes..!!!
Jul 29, 2018, 11:53 AM
DFS#000178
I also wish it had retracts, but it looks gorgeous otherwise! I'd probably remove the water rudder and do any steering with thrust differential instead.

I don't see any flaps either?

I wonder how big it is.
Jul 29, 2018, 12:06 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
Thread OP
I had a chance to look at the model , i estimate the wingspan is about 1500 to 1600mm.
The model was flown on a 4s lipo but the guys from HK mentioned it flies very nice on a 3s battery also. It looks very well designed. The aiplane comes with different tip floats (strut lenght) so you can change then to your preference.
Retracts on a model this size would make it far to heavy ,expecially with a complex system as on the albatross.

@ Rampage , it has flaps.

Cheers,

Bart
Last edited by Bart83; Jul 29, 2018 at 12:14 PM.
Jul 29, 2018, 12:57 PM
Any information on an official announcement date? Or availability to purchase date?

I will more than likely be getting two of these to do what I want to do with and to them. Also glad to see they are doing it in a "B" version

So HAPPY to finally be hearing about this plane. I've been hoping and pushing for one of these for years!!!! This has been my dream foam electric plane I've wanted since I got into electric foamies years ago.
Jul 29, 2018, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon
Love it!!! I'm in most definitely!!!! But will delete the water rudder and go with diferential thrust for ground control like my past ones.

Wish it had retracts, but have expected they probably wouldn't do one with them, so I've pre-made my own for incorporation later
This plane will be a nice addition (or replacement) for my HobbyKing Canadair CL-415 water bomber. It's a 1400mm wingspan. Although I fly it during the warm months, it's primarily my winter plane and is flown as a "skidder" all seasons, so no need for retracts. Line the bottom with clear Gorilla tape and it slides nicely on geotex, dirt and grass. These water planes make great skidders.
That short video shows it has sufficient power to get off grass and it lands quite slowly, so flaps aren't really necessary. In fact, the BushMule has flaps but the plane actually lands better without any flaps. Take offs with 1/2 flaps on the Mule is also a bit overkill and not necessary. As for diff thrust, that's an option but if it's anything like my CL, it steers really well with just the rudder, even while sliding on the ground. Knowing HobbyKing, they'll likely put in reversing ESCs like they did on my BushMule for water operations. In this case, diff thrust would be handy in the water.
Get used to hearing "SOOOOOOOONNNN" a lot.
Jul 29, 2018, 01:10 PM
Lol...
Jul 29, 2018, 01:13 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Added to my must have list...

Anyone who has tried differential thrust on a multi engine seaplane will never go back to just a water rudder even without reversing ESCs. My twin and four motor seaplane models will just about pivot on a tip float using diff thrust without reverse thrust.
Latest blog entry: RC events for 2019!
Jul 29, 2018, 02:10 PM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Looks nice!
Jul 30, 2018, 02:41 AM
That's a nice surprise from HK! Thanks for posting and the additional info Bart
Will get one for sure.
Jul 30, 2018, 07:29 AM
Yes I’m in as well, IF it gets into production.
Jul 30, 2018, 07:59 AM
Head NEAT geek
That is NOT a painted CNC prototype. That is out of a mold. Committing to a mold is not an insignificant effort. It's not if it will go into production but when.
Jul 30, 2018, 08:58 AM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Wouldn't one think that adding retracts to a plane like this would automatically increase sales significantly? It just opens up the market to all those that have no access to a flying site off of water.

Quick Reply