Jul 28, 2018, 10:20 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Did you fly today?

It seemed odd to me that there is not a thread in the glider section for posting if you flew today or not. I see them in many of the other sections, and felt we should have one here too. Just a fun place to share your flying outing for the day.

I'll post first.

Was able to get my electric Gentle Lady out for a couple of batteries today. Nice and hot day in the mid to upper 80's, but not really too much thermal activity going on. I caught a few weak ones and could get a little height, but then I'd loose it and start coming back down. I thought it would've been great with the hot weather, but I guess not. Oh well, I always enjoy a nice and relaxing glider day of flying, just floating around the place. Today I was able to do it while seated on the tailgate of my truck and sitting in the shade
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2018, 04:55 AM
who has rabbit ears down
I got pretty close to flyin', I did a milage check to our club field, 88 miles down, rerouted according to google options, with a 10 mile savings on return. Missy loved the ride, head out the window 75% both directions, and only got "slightly" exited when the last bird went up the winch. ( she goes totally nutz with the UMX Radian @ the puppy park! ) we watched a dust devil spool up on the parking lot, and I got "new" fizz for completing my Yellow Jacket (1st) and other- Libelle- birds! My biggest accomplishment as now is having the porch/ factory in 'building' status! now, to find the "missing" electronics!
Latest blog entry: My "Kubiak" Collection
Jul 29, 2018, 05:44 AM
founder of the SSP
Nope. I did go check out the local club though that I'm thinking of joining. I'm thinking of taking today off of all work and fixing my high wing foamie that's on floats. I live on a lake so it would give me something to play with here. I have no desire to do another boat.
Jul 29, 2018, 05:52 AM
Yes, it was a Multiplex EasyGlider and FunGlider outing with a total of 130 minutes flight time.
Lovely soaring day
Regards, Joao
Jul 29, 2018, 06:59 AM
Almost did not. The rains have been very unpredictable lately. But a buddy texted me saying the thermals were building so headed out. Ended up being a great day. We were launching to 100 to 150 feet then climbing out. Coming back down then climbing out again and again. But what seems to me the norm this time of year by 1 everything was so hot it was hit or miss on the thermals.
Jul 29, 2018, 07:38 AM
Yes , we did . There's a group of us flying in the vicinity of Lakeland Fl.
We decided to put out two winches and had a blast . The temp was in the 90's , light breezes right down the line and good skies .
I flew my Aquila , MV flew his Pierce 970 and JW got his Riser squared away and flying nicely .
No great times , some pretty good ones though .
Last edited by jetmaven; Jul 29, 2018 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Sp
Jul 29, 2018, 08:06 AM
Sonoran Laser Art
It's been so hot here there has not been much flying. We finally started our summer series yesterday though. We started the contest at 7:00 am. Upon arriving at the field it was pleasant to find nice thick green grass (nicely watered and mowed). This was electric anything. We fly 5 - 10 minute flights anytime between 7:00 and 11:00. We install Altis to capture launch height. When done you add up flight seconds and landing points then deduct 1/2 point for each meter of launch height of all rounds from the total. At times getting your time was pretty easy with plentiful lift. I got so high twice I almost lost it. Other times we all struggled to get a few minutes. There was about 10 of us. We had some humidity and as the time past it got pretty warm in the sun, not bad in the shade. My timer and I decided to fly two rounds back to back each time to get it done before it got too hot and didn't stress over waiting for better air.

We were all very happy to be together and flying
Last edited by CloudSniffer; Jul 29, 2018 at 08:25 AM.
Jul 29, 2018, 10:31 AM
Thread OP
Wow CloudSniffer, nice set of birds there! Right now my only thermal plane is my Gentle Lady. I have a foamie Calypso in a box, and a Sig Riser 2M and a BoT waiting to be built.
Jul 29, 2018, 10:50 AM
Sonoran Laser Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer14
Wow CloudSniffer, nice set of birds there! Right now my only thermal plane is my Gentle Lady. I have a foamie Calypso in a box, and a Sig Riser 2M and a BoT waiting to be built.
The red and white one is my YJ3M RES. One other pilot flew a YJ3M REF. The rest were big high end molded F5J ships. I donít own a moldie but it sure is fun chasing them.
Jul 29, 2018, 09:36 PM
Old newb
Flew the Golden Hour at Torrey Pines.

When all others gave up, we had the place to ourselves.

The foamy Parkzone Ka8 has some magic in it that always it to stay up in the lightest of lift.

It was a perfect ending to a GREAT day at Torrey.

Notice how glassy the Pacific got? This about 730 in the evening here in San Diego.
Jul 29, 2018, 10:01 PM
Yup, got out there! I fly in farmland. Picturesque in its own way.

Had two of my Art Hobby e-sailplanes out. My 2.0m Sky EV and my new 3.4m Avatar. Learning the feel of my new bird and tweaking TX settings. Gorgeous day. Went from severe clear to "popcorn" cumulus and on to nimbo cumulus with great lift. Even got wet in a surprise cloudburst. Could I ask for more?

Heck no. Love soaring and the slippery whisper of a speeding ship!

Fly every day I can including squeezing in a flight or two between weather fronts.

Dave
Jul 30, 2018, 05:24 AM
Great costal slope photo, golden moments indeed !
Sloping by the sea tops my RC experiences and we are lucky to have a long coast line facing the Atlantic over here.
Two pics taken some years ago with EPP birds to deal with the less than ideal landing "facilities".
Greetings , Joao
Last edited by joao; Jul 30, 2018 at 05:33 AM.
Jul 30, 2018, 09:46 PM
Thread OP
Wow, those photos are incredible ! Just amazing that golden hue you caught in the one photo. Yes, slope soaring at the coast is the best because your winds are so smooth coming in off the water like that. There are spots here and there where I live, but like you mention the landing zones are more of a crash zone. During the winter we do have access to an inland famous slope, but the weather can be cold so you always have to wear 50 layers of clothes.
Jul 31, 2018, 05:41 AM
Thank you. In fact the left photo was taken with a very humble Mustek camera by my wife while yours truly was flying the glider. Metal gear servos in the ailerons/flaps are almost mandatory in these coastal sites so that you are not limited to 1 flight per session per model . Winter is somewhat cold over here too and I switch mostly to indoor/F3P. Cheers, Joao
Jul 31, 2018, 06:59 AM
I flew my Lil Bird Friday and yesterday, Monday. No pics from the Firetower field but here's my plane. This is one beautiful flyer. Love it.

Quick Reply