Jul 27, 2018, 02:11 PM
Thread OP
New Product

Smooth Operator Frame - Catalyst Machineworks LLC

Ready to meet your favorite freestyle frame?

After designing some of the most innovative racing frames the FPV market has even seen we are now set on a course for freestyle nirvana. The Smooth Operator is the culmination of years of experience in the world of FPV frame design. Why is this bird better than anything else on the market currently? Its simple. Many aspects of this design were inspired by YOU. The pilots. We took a completely different path with the entire design process and asked the people who fly freestyle what they want to see in a frame. We produced detailed design review videos and posted them on Youtube. These videos covered Smooth Operator frame revisions 4, rev 5, and rev 6. Every single pilot comment was reviewed and seriously considered for implementation into the final design, along with our own internal team pilot input. After weeks of work flight testing, crashing, and fine tuning the design we finally have a finished product. A detailed design review video is coming where the designer will cover all the major aspects of what makes this freestyle rig so special and so different than anything else on the market.

SPECS AND FEATURES:
125 grams (with 3D plastic parts and fasteners, no gopro mount, no rear brace)
Carbon fiber: Twill Weave 3K Matte
HD camera mount material: TPU (multiple colors available - sold separate)
Standard CF Arm Thickness: 5mm thick x 10mm wide
Top CF sandwich plates: 2mm
Bottom CF sandwich plate: 3mm
Frame type: H (with staggered arms front to rear)
Frame size: 225mm
FPV camera angle range: 0 - 75 degrees
Motors supported: 22xx, 23xx, 24xx or similar
Lipos supported: 3s, 4s, 5s, 6s
Lipo mounting position: Top
Prop size: 5 inch
Fastener material: Aircraft Grade 7075 and steel
Fastener color: Black
Ideal ESC: 4-in-1 design with 30.5mm x 30.5mm M3 mounting holes
Ideal FC: 30.5mm x 30.5mm M3 mounting holes (micro FC can be used with THIS adapter)
Motor pad mounting holes: M3 screws on 16mm or 12mm mounting circles
Supported FPV Cameras: ANY micro camera with 19mm x 19mm form factor, no seriously any of them will fit.
HD camera mount options: Session or Standard Gopro
HD camera mount angle range: 20 - 50 degrees
Electronic component access: Lower cover plate can be removed
Electronic component access: Top plate is split to allow access to FC, VTX, FPV antenna, etc
Slammed deck (13mm tall)
ESC center mounted with FC behind it (YES the FC can be mounted there)
Two screw arm removal. Remove arms be loosening one screw and removing the other
Industry leading camera protection (FPV and HD)
Provisions for nearly any FPV antenna on the market
Provisions for crossfire gear
Large lipos fit with ease (pics shown with 6s 1300mah)

https://www.catalystmachineworks.com...reestyle-frame
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2018, 02:19 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Interesting design. There is no drawback of having the FC not on the center of the frame? In theory maybe not, but it just feels a bit odd.

It sure looks sturdy and unique.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Jul 29, 2018, 11:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Interesting design. There is no drawback of having the FC not on the center of the frame? In theory maybe not, but it just feels a bit odd.

It sure looks sturdy and unique.
FC gyro only takes change in angle info. The angle is the same no matter where on the craft the FC is. It flies the same whether the FC in centered or not.
Jul 29, 2018, 11:02 AM
Thread OP
Tomorrow morning I'll begin shooting the Smooth Operator step by step build video. This frame won't have an assembly manual. This build video will serve as the manual. Took me a few hours to fabricate a proper mount for my camera to get positioning correct for the work area and out of my way. It will take me a few days to shoot and then produce the video. Stay tuned!
Aug 04, 2018, 02:32 PM
Thread OP
Smooth Operator (Complete Build Video) (1 hr 34 min 30 sec)

This is a full step-by-step build video for our Smooth Operator frame. Every consideration is covered here. This will take the place of of a typical build manual. If you have purchased the frame or plan to in the future we HIGHLY suggest to take the time to watch this.

For those of you more experienced builders who don't need as much "hand holding" we will be producing a much shorter and less thorough video where we assembly the frame by itself. If you have any technical questions related to the assembly process or electronics installation please email us at [email protected].

You can download this build video to your computer by hitting the link below. With the file on your hard drive this is allow you to quickly and easily jump around in the timeline as needed to get to various locations in the video much faster and easier.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfqcwuh3a7...eo%29.mp4?dl=0

https://www.catalystmachineworks.com...reestyle-frame
Aug 20, 2018, 04:23 PM
Thread OP
Smooth? (2 min 33 sec)
Aug 24, 2018, 05:16 PM
Thread OP
Tree Dodging (Smooth Operator Testing) (2 min 52 sec)
Aug 28, 2018, 05:26 PM
Loving it, flies like classic freestyle frames, very smooth
CMW Smooth Operator Maiden (3 min 2 sec)
Sep 06, 2018, 03:00 AM
Really enjoying this one
Into The Light (3 min 38 sec)
Sep 06, 2018, 11:34 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheredanine
Really enjoying this one
https://youtu.be/NbN5l6aU958
Looking good bro!
Sep 06, 2018, 01:25 PM
If any of you can't decide if frame design makes a difference or if it's all down to the FC I can tell it does. This frame is awesome.
Sep 06, 2018, 02:39 PM
I promise a review video is coming this weekend! For now here is my first flight on betaflight 3.5 with the smooth operator.

If you are good, you can mount the flight controller above the esc in the center. I am good, but it should not matter.

Betaflight 3.5 first flight, Catalyst MachineWorks Smooth Operator (5 min 20 sec)
Sep 07, 2018, 02:06 AM

Brilliant frame

Great frame. Flies brilliantly with little tuning. Lots of clever details and as moosetang said you can fit a 4 in 1 and fc in the front if you want and pic the right board. I didn't bother. Pretty straight forward build. Everything has its place and slots in.

Review here -
Catalyst Machineworks Smooth Operator frame review (26 min 20 sec)

Build overview -
Catalyst Machineworks Smooth Operator Build overview / why 2150kv?? (24 min 8 sec)
Sep 07, 2018, 02:43 AM
Some of ya'll have seen this edit on Facebook, but for those that don't facebook here it is on the big screen.

CATALYST MACHINEWORKS SMOOTH OPERATOR (4 min 21 sec)

Quick Reply